• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Knocking sound.

Now it stopped smiley_freak.gif

I'm not burning oil, don't have much blowby, don't have water in my oil or oil in my water, starts easy, pulls hard until it starts defueling, runs smooth with no hiccups what so ever, so wtf am I worrying about? 

I must be wound too tight, maybe I need a couple stiff drinks to take the edge off lol.

Edited by The_Hammer

This is what I learned over years, not exactly best way to take care of things but it works.

When you can't find a problem, you need to wait longer until it becomes apparent where the problem is. 

I did this a few times and in the end it worked out. Like I said not the best way especially if it's something expensive. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I had an old guy... a very good engine rebuilder show how to use a sawed off broom stuck for an engine stethoscope.

Having it about 2-3 ft. long you squeeze with your fist on the end and with your thumb knuckle curled, like a fist, into your ear. Then proceed to place other end on various parts of the engine while running. You will be able to pinpoint many sounds never heard before but please be careful not to go near the belt or fan. That stick can do you some damage. You have to be very very very carful doing this. Did I say careful?????

BTW, my old first gen has had a knock for about 15 years and still holds good power and no smoke. approaching 450k miles still original. That knock on mine you can hear when down by the front wheel but, elsewhere it is gone. As long as she continues to fire up and go I'm happy with the old girl.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

@Dieselfuture I've done that in the past with good results. 

@Cowboy Actually adjusted them today. I used a piece of water hose to listen to each valve cover and heard #3 ticking pretty loud compared to the others. Adjusted everything with no notable difference. 

@JAG1 I haven't used a broom handle before but my dad showed me how to use a piece of water hose (or any hose) to listen for things like that. It's good to hear that she's still running strong. 

It knocks intermittently and is definitely fuel related as it will always stop when I let off the throttle. I wonder if bumping the timing to 16.5° has anything to do with it? The truck doesn't lack of power since replacing the injectors, in fact it flat out hauls a$$ now. Half throttle from a dead stop will smoke my 315/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs lol. 

I've never found ANY metal of any kind when changing the oil. Dumping the oil filter has never produced any debris, though I've never cut one open to inspect the media. I was always a couple quarts low on oil between changes but that has stopped since replacing the front crank seal, timing cover gasket, and tapped cover gasket. I've never ran it hot or got my EGT's above 1100 and I've never ran it low on oil. 

Here's a couple videos to listen to.

Edited by The_Hammer

Does my truck sound like it's idling normal in those videos?

Something I forgot to mention is that my truck will not start unless you give it a little throttle. If you give it about 1/4 throttle it pops right off. I've tried priming it to see if I was losing pressure but it doesn't help. My idle is about 750 in drive with A/C on.

• Staff

Should fire right up. Even my 435,000 mile 12 valve and 88,000 mile 24 valve fire right off without pressing the pedal.

I would check in tank screens make the system free flowing unless going thru filter of course. I did have a clogged tank vent once on the 12 valve. Every once in awhile you need to tape small tuning to a shop vac and suck out the bottom of the bowl on the factory filter. Crap piles up on the bottom there under the filter cartridge.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 6:45 PM, Me78569 said:

Even with bad tuning on my vgt the dfi injectors were %99 clean at sea level.  I was shocked, but you could go from a stop sign, floor it to %100 and all you got out the tail pipe was VERY light haze.  I only you "haze" because you could see VERY VERY light fumes out of the tailpipe. 

I could have EASILY passed the same emissions we have here in colorado down at sea level with the tuner turned up.

Here is a short video of my lugging the motor while going WOT with the turner off down near sea level.

Up here in colorado not so much, but that is just the nature of the beast AKA altitude......

what size are your injectors from DFI? and what kind of milage do you get? I'm trying to figure out if I should stay with 75(.0085 I assume but don't know for sure) or go down to a .0080, or go up to a .0090....my main concern is clean, efficient power. 

Edited by leathermaneod

At sea level my injectors only haze no matter what.  They are 7 x.009.  mileage hasn't really changed honestly, but it is hard to know since I threw heavier tires on at the same time.  So it is apples to oranges. 

I expect to be in the mid 20's with the new quadzilla tuning and lighter tires when I am forced to get new rubber.

• Like 1

My dad and I just replaced the injectors in his 96 with 5x0.011's from DAP. His originals were starting to miss in the morning when it was below 70F. His had gas run through them though....

He is VERY impressed with them!! Very clean with just a little bit of pump work and it looks like mileage is up. He wants to increase the timing a bit now and see how it does.

• Like 1

Sorry I wasn't clear.  At idle and DD they are %100 clean.  The most they ever do when driving at wot like an idiot is haze.  They are very very very clean injectors.  At sea level I could not make them smoke.

Edited by Me78569

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Sorry I wasn't clear.  At idle and DD they are %100 clean.  The most they ever do when driving at wot like an idiot is haze.  They are very very very clean injectors.  At sea level I could not make them smoke.

Thank you! I must have misread your prior post. That's very impressive for an injector that should be around 100hp isn't it? My current ones which are supposed to be 75hp (don't know the size or # of holes) and made by BD will smoke like a train if I get on the skinny pedal with the comp turned up....when I had the Smarty, I tried it out on SW9 one time, I got on it and holy crap! It looked like one of the trucks hooked to a sled at Diesel Power Challenge! Anyway I like to drive on at least 5x4 for mileage and I'd like to get some injectors that won't smoke out the road when it really starts to pull....I was thinking of going smaller in the 50hp range which I believe would be .008 I believe, or staying the same around .0085 which would be 75 I believe, but maybe if yours are that clean I could go up to .009....would there be any downside to going bigger? I have a stock turbo and plan to keep it that way most likely. Possibly a little bigger when I rebuild it.

28 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally with +50HP injectors you fine with a stock turbo. Larger turbo is just going to increase turbo lag and smoke during launching.I think I remember @Wild and Free running +100 HP injectors with his HX35 turbo back in the day.

Turbo technology has come a LONG ways since the 90's... you can run a larger charger with the same spool, it's just a matter of selecting the right one :thumbup2: