• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CHEAP EBAY APPS?????

Well just an update. 

I installed the new cheap china tps and it seems to work great but I my engine light wont turn off. 

It's non adjustable so I assume my readings don't jive with the computer?

Is there some way it will screw up anything else like my VP 44?

It works great i did a bunch of road tests with it and while iff road it's not so sensative like the old one was which made it a pain in the but to drive dliw on a rough old logging road.

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

The computer pretty much doesn't know that you are at idle, hence the code.   

I doubt you will cause issues ,but things might not work that rely on idle state, such as high idle.

I was thinking I'd order another since they are dirt cheap and grind out the holes where the screws go through the tps and insert the metal sleeve from my old ine in there then i'd be able to adjust it and see what that does. 

I just bolted it on and i did't want to mess with the idle screw ar first. Maybe i'll pull it apart and turn the screw untill i see a jump in the reading then back it off a half turn. 

It would make sence that it can't recognize idle because after installing it I had  .34 volts (i think) and it was supposed to be 0.6 from what i read.

We'll see if affect fuel economy or anything like that. 

I usually like to buy good quality parts but when I can buy 15 of these for the price of a good one i figured I'd take my chances.

No matter how you adjust it the computer will not see idle state.

The OEM apps is composed of 2 parts, the normal 0-100% part AND a idle state position.  If you look at the images above you can see the gap in the contact path.    Voltage at idle state doesn't matter.  

• Owner
41 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The OEM apps is composed of 2 parts, the normal 0-100% part AND a idle state position.  If you look at the images above you can see the gap in the contact path.    Voltage at idle state doesn't matter.  

Here... Look closely there is a break in the contact patches on the outer rings. The short pad is idle position and the long patch is throttling. The right set is the IVS set and then the left is the APPS

DSCF3804.JPG

This why I love the Timbo's APPS over anything else there is no electronics and just a contact fingers that sweep the range. It's fully mechanical setup. As for P0222 that is both IVS switches are low or in other words shorted to ground at the same time. So the ECM could tell if it was throttling or idling because both switch where selected at the same time.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Like I mentioned earlier, the cheap one I bought worked fine. Eliminated my surging but the CEL stayed lit with a P222 code. I would bet if you check the codes thats what you will see. I have no idea whether it will hurt any thing. I would have to leave that to the better electronics folks here.

16 hours ago, Me78569 said:

How do you know for sure? Have you cut one of these cheap tps's open? Not being rude just asking the question. Lol

I have an Edge Juice programer/chip and was going to see what the throttle position says when it's at idle full throttle etc. 

It works fine the truck starts great and has same power just the light is on.

I was wondering if this one is a copy of the Timbo's APPS or like the wells or OEM??

15 hours ago, dripley said:

Like I mentioned earlier, the cheap one I bought worked fine. Eliminated my surging but the CEL stayed lit with a P222 code. I would bet if you check the codes thats what you will see. I have no idea whether it will hurt any thing. I would have to leave that to the better electronics folks here.

So you changed it out i assume to Timbos or wells etc?

Ok I looked at my throttle percentage on my Edge and it says 0% at idle and 100% at full throttle. So it seems that part is fine. 

I found this other TPS/APPS and it looks just like the OEM style and quite cheap to buy.

This one doesn't have the extra wires to connect either it's just like the oem. Say's it's High quality"..?

I'll ask the seller if it throws codes like that other one.

I sent the other guy a message telling him about how his APPS works fine but check engine light stays on.

I had sent him a few messages and he assured me they worked 100% with no problems at all. 

Having a check engine light on all the time seems like a problem to me...

Here's that other one. 

image.png

I just put my timbo back in. I have two of them. One new the other about 6 years old. They both surge. I had to swap it due to inspections here. CEL on = no pass inspection. I am getting tempted to put it back on, I just get tired of seeing the light and wondering what it might be doing to the truck. I also see what you are seeing on my scan gauge. 0% at idle and 100% at WOT

Something that I have noticed with the cheap is just a slight bump in the idle like it is wanting to surge. I mean it is very slight and most people would not notice it. Maybe it is just because I am expecting it to surge.

4 minutes ago, dripley said:

I just put my timbo back in. I have two of them. One new the other about 6 years old. They both surge. I had to swap it due to inspections here. CEL on = no pass inspection. I am getting tempted to put it back on, I just get tired of seeing the light and wondering what it might be doing to the truck. I also see what you are seeing on my scan gauge. 0% at idle and 100% at WOT

Something that I have noticed with the cheap is just a slight bump in the idle like it is wanting to surge. I mean it is very slight and most people would not notice it. Maybe it is just because I am expecting it to surge.

So is the surge from the APPS u think? 

Those Timbo's aren't warrantied?

I'll drive mine for a bit and see what happens. 

So far so good.

I'm wondering if I should play with that idle screw to get the readings I need or if I should just leave it alone... I don't want to screw anything up and i'm new to this APPS stuff just learning. 

I contacted the seller and will ask for my money back because with the CEL on all the time that is not a part that "works" corectly if u ask me.

If I don't have to send the part back then I will cut this one open or better yet send it in the mail to Mike if he wants it??

i found another one for about 250.00 cnd funds and it has the whole plate like you'd get from Dodge.It has a 10 year warranty on it as well. 

But who knows if the company will b in business that long...

And when you say u noticed a "slight bump in the idle" you are talking about seeing the rpm needle bump slightly?

if so mine did that b4 as well as now with new APPS and it's barely noticable but i don't here the engine surge or anything. 

• Staff
4 hours ago, BIG-BLACK-DODGE said:

I contacted the seller and will ask for my money back because with the CEL on all the time that is not a part that "works" corectly if u ask me.

If I don't have to send the part back then I will cut this one open or better yet send it in the mail to Mike if he wants it??

Or throw it under the seat for a cheap backup.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just before I bought my truck previous owner fitted  a cheap chinese tps, I got it with tps codes, checked it out and fly lead wouldn't even plug into harness correctly so trimmed tps plug with a blade then checked manual and iirc you're supposed to turn tps on it's slotted mounting holes to set idle volts (I think) well the one the previous owner fitted had holes,not slots so couldn't get that right ,ordered a not so cheap one but not dodge off of ebay usa and dialled in great, codes cleared and real cheapo in glovebox just in case as a get home

3 hours ago, wil440 said:

Just before I bought my truck previous owner fitted  a cheap chinese tps, I got it with tps codes, checked it out and fly lead wouldn't even plug into harness correctly so trimmed tps plug with a blade then checked manual and iirc you're supposed to turn tps on it's slotted mounting holes to set idle volts (I think) well the one the previous owner fitted had holes,not slots so couldn't get that right ,ordered a not so cheap one but not dodge off of ebay usa and dialled in great, codes cleared and real cheapo in glovebox just in case as a get home

I have one myself. It worked fine but set a 222 code that would not clear. And the cel would not go off. It did however stop my engine from surging.