• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've narrowed down my tire selection. It's between bf goodrich k02s or toyo open country. 

Les Schwab has the toyo tires with their in house warranty and road hazard protection. 50k mile warranty.

Discount tire probably has the toyo tires as well and also has the bf goodrich k02s.

I dunno what they have for warranty or road hazard protection. I do like both tires but i know a guy who just got a set and feeling the rubber, it was very soft. His set is on a 3rd Gen cummins 2500.

I was told not to expect any tire to last more than 50k at best because of my application. 

15 minutes ago, hex0rz said:

Hmm.. any idea as to why? Was it really because they went with oversize tires doing it?

I'm sorry, I don't recall if they said why they thought that. May have just been coincidence, but a few guys said it. It was a thread over on CF. Maybe worth looking into before you make your decision. 

From what I've learned death wobble is because of bad suspension geometry and worn out steering parts. 

I think it's fair to say that a tire based on its makeup isn't going to be the cause behind death wobble.

BUT

i could be wrong! :D

2 hours ago, hex0rz said:

From what I've learned death wobble is because of bad suspension geometry and worn out steering parts. 

I think it's fair to say that a tire based on its makeup isn't going to be the cause behind death wobble.

BUT

i could be wrong! :D

That certainly makes a lot more sense! But since you were talking tires, I just wanted to let you know what I had read. 

While I dont think tires are the primary reason they at least have contributed to my experience. When it first happened me my tires were about shot. My track was getting worn and a little loose but with new tires it stopped and never happened again until the next set were on their last leg. This was after I replaced the track. I dont disagree with @hex0rz on worn suspension parts, but old tires seems to bring mine on. Maybe it is the ATP's, dont know.

• Like 1

I never had any death wobble when I had KO's on my truck...the originals not KO2's.  They were 285/75R16 on factory steelies and they did seem to wear fast.  Now running a set of 265/70R17 Michelins on 4th generation wheels and they ride a lot better compared to the BFG's.  Hoping to get a lot of worry free miles out of them.  I purchased the tires at Costco for about $730 out the door....killer deal.  Costco only carries Michelin, Bridgestone, and BFG...at least at my location.  Borrow a membership if you can :hyper:       

• 2 weeks later...

The day finally came to get new tires. I decided to go with discount tires. Already had an appointment set a week in advance. Costco wasn't competitive enough and didn't come out on top. 

So got there today and it was packed. Apparantly i was set to get some pathfinder ats. I wanted 5 bfgoodrich k02s. They only had 3 in Stock. Great...

So he recommended cooper maxx ats. Okay I'll go with them. They were even cheaper, too. So all is well and i wait almost an hour and then he comes up and says he messed up. The tires i was going to get were already committed to someone else. 

So instead he wanted to know if i would be interested in some goodyear wrangler duratracs. I was indecisive and also frustrated about this being the 3rd time to switch tires...

But he said he would give me the tires at the same price as the coopers. He said they're the best selling tires they have. He said it's also a 600 dollar savings. 

Well shoot, can't go wrong with that...

Another hour later, I'm fitted up with 5 tires and only paid 1300 something for almost 2300 in tires!

Yes, darn right! I saved about 900 in tires.

I haven't gotten to highway speed yet, but im liking them allot. I've got warranties on the tires so even if i smoke one up at 10k miles I'll have paid for the warranties. 

All in all, it was worth the trouble and I'm happy with discount tire. 

The next goal is to get some new rims so they're a matching set. Anyone have recommendations? I'll end up having the spare going through rotation and it's a rusty steel rim. Lol. The spare doesn't fit too back up in the carrier area... but i got her!

20161014_180957.jpg

• Like 1

Well I'm home!

The tires were hardly even noticeable! It only had a slight whir noise, but nothing i would complain about. 

I deflated the rear to about 50psi and the front was already there. I'm anxious to see how they are long term. Now, let's see them stand the test of time!

Guys I know who runs them here get crap for miles out of those tires.

1200 OMG ................Treadrites look better to me all the time, I am loving the wardens on my 1500 Hemi and can't wait to get the set waiting in my shed on the cummins. I had under 1200 invested in 8 tires to my door. $560 each set of 4 delivered.

I was going to go with tread wright, initially. But even after their revised process of molding the tire people were still getting catastrophic problems. Some so bad they were causing huge damage to the vehicles. 

Despite their bead to bead design, tread separation is still a problem for them. I have yet to read about such a thing occurring to a new tire from a manufacturer, unless the operator is using them improperly. 

With going through discount tire, i have that support from them if i so need it and it'll be no questions asked and it'll be in person. 

I have read a mix on tread wright's support. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bashing from me to them, but the impression i get is that it just isn't something i want to entertain right now.

I need links to such evidence, I have yet to read any bad reviews like that about them. Not saying there are none i would just like to see the links to the info. Talk without pictoral and failure analysis report from treadwright on why the tires came apart is worthless.

• Like 1