• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re transmission

Last night i did a transmission fluid change, filters and bands. All went well with the service portion. Real wtf moment was when referring to the chiltons manual and it told me that it only takes 3 PINTS. 

uhm, no. The was more than just 3 pints in the pan when i dropped it. When i bought the fluid from the auto store, guy told me his computer told him 4 quarts. So i obliged and bought 4 quarts. 

I poured in 3 and got a reading. Ran the gear selector through all gears then put in neutral. Said it was still good. Then i took it for a test drive. Initially, it wouldn't move then a moment later i had pressure. 

I put in atf4+ this time. Dunno what the shop put in originally. Hopefully there are no issues with the two fluids in the transmission. Anyways, the truck shifted like dream. Night and day difference. Could hardly tell it was shifting. 

So today i did my fuel line service. Which is in the other thread. So i wanted to treat drive again. I check the fluid again and didn't even read on the stick! Wtf..

So i thought maybe cause it's just a fluke. Cause it drove just fine yesterday. Well i go to pull out of the driveway and the truck dies on me. I was okay, i guess I'll put quart 4 in. So let her have it all.

Started it up and she drove fine for the test. Wasn't shifting as smoothly as before. Get back to the house and check fluid again. In neutral after warming up, trans temp was 150. Couldn't get it any hotter. It still would not read on the stick!

I felt like i was going crazy and thought i was losing fluid. I know i torqued all the bolts and did everything right. 

What the heck is the real fluid change capacity after servicing the transmission?? I googled up on it and some say 6 quarts. Anyone know how much it takes?

Can't believe chiltons manual said 3 pints....

Yes, like Mike said, loosen the VB bolts enough to separate it from the case a crack and then wait for it to stop dripping. This will allow the converter to drain back (to the level of its hub, anyway). You'll get an extra 3 qts out of it or so. Don't forget to retighten the VB to the case (105 in/lb), and then proceed as normal, but remember that you'll need an additional 3(ish) quarts of fluid after all is said and done.

• Like 2

• Staff

Thanks for the help everyone. I need to do this too . I've been big chicken about doing this service on mine.

Dripley, 'Big Chicken'  means at least 12 feet tall.:lol3:

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:07 AM, The_Hammer said:

It's easy to get all the fluid out if you take it apart smiley_abused.gif

:poke:    :thanks:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Thanks for the help everyone. I need to do this too . I've been big chicken about doing this service on mine.

Dripley, 'Big Chicken'  means at least 12 feet tall.:lol3:

:poke:    :thanks:

Big Chickens drive 6 speeds anyway.:tongue::bolt:

• Like 1

On 8/2/2016 at 0:16 PM, TFaoro said:

Wow.... These don't hold much! I changed the fluid on my mom's 00 powerstroke with the 4R100 and it took 17 quarts :ahhh:

An empty stock 47RE/48RE system holds 16 qts, an empty stock 4R100 system holds 17 qts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

An empty stock 47RE/48RE system holds 16 qts, an empty stock 4R100 system holds 17 qts.

I guess it just depends on how much you can get out of the dang thing. Sounds like I did a decent job getting it all out!