• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Flushing the coolant system and removing rust.

The previous owner of my truck ran straight tap water for who knows how long before I bought it which caused the cooling system to be contaminated with rust. I've been dealing with the issue off and on since buying the truck in 2011 and finally got around to taking care of it smiley_abused.gif

I was doing some research on eliminating rust from the cooling system when I came across a product called Thermocure by Evapo-Rust. It has some really good reviews on Summit Racing and looked promising so I ordered up a quart $26 shipped.

I removed the thermostat and flushed the cooling system everyday for a couple days using tap water until the Thermocure arrived. I drained the water, added the Thermocure, then refilled the system. I drove the truck for three days before draining and flushing the system a few times with tap water. Below are the results.

20160730_142335.jpg

20160730_142406.jpg

From left to right: Initial draining after three days, second flush, third flush, and fourth flush. After the fourth time I stuck a water hose in the radiator, opened the drain, started the motor, and let it run for about 20 minutes until there wasn't so much as a trace of rust showing in the bottom of a clear one gallon jug.

I'm about to flush the system one last time with distilled water to remove as much of the tap water as I can, install a new thermostat, then fill with 3 gallons of concentrate and 1 gallon distilled water for a 50/50 mix.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

Wow I've never seen anything that dark come out of a cooling system. So what did it look like after a few days of running before the thermocure?

It was coming out clear before I used the Thermocure. So far I'm quite impressed with this product. 

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All!

New here and really like what I am seeing here!

Live in Orange County, NY

2001 Dodge 2500 Quadcab Long Bed

Cummins Non-HO Diesel with 47RE tranny with 161 k easy miles (Well other than the salt on the roads here!)

Great write-up!

How are Your radiator temps running after the Thermocure?

I have 161k on My 2001 2500 Cummins...and she's starting to run a bit warmer than before...

Replaced the thermostat, and still under even a slight hill the temp gauge shows above the middle , then when I run a steeper hill, she can run up to Almost 3/4 on the gauge...running empty on a 80 degree day.

I have replaced the coolant 3 x since new... coolant never has looked rough till this year.

Time for a new radiator or try the Thermocure?

And what are Folks opinions RE: a replacement radiator?

I see the usual Spectra units for $135 on amazon...or would a OEM for $302 be better?

http://www.mopardealerparts.com/p/Chrysler__/Radiator-engine-cooling/61598935/52030191AD.html?partner=Google_149_Mopar_StockCode

Or I am open to ideas as to what The Forum has found to be a good replacement unit.

Truck has an easy life... no real work, just a daily driver.

Thanks in advance for ideas

DocH

• Like 1

You probably want to check the radiator for external blockage if you are still running the factory crankcase vent on the front of the engine. You would be surprised at how clogged your radiator can get with oil puking out of it. You really cant see it just by looking thru the fan shroud. A mirror would help. 

This could easily be causing you issue. A lot of folks here are still running the factory radiators with no issues.

And welcome to the forum by the way.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Welcome Doc!

Dripley's suggestion is dead on.  I would definitely pull the radiator and clean it.  I would try and clean it rather than replace it with a cheap one.  I know the thought process, "If I went to the trouble to pull it, why not put an "new" one in, they are only $150"...

Well, for some reason the cheap "new" ones... always seem to have troubles...  seems to surround the fitting of the trans cooler in the tank..  YMMV...

I am still on my original radiator at 300k+ miles and I pull pretty heavily.  Cleaning is a must though.... (especially if you still have the stock front vent....not pointed at you, that is me...I have not moved mine yet...)

Hag

Edited by Haggar
adding my fault of not moving vent too lazy...
  • Like 1

The radiator is easy to remove. I removed mine on the side of the interstate when the oe blew up. This was due to owner abuse more than anything.:doh: On the bright side I did get to inspect the interior of the radiator and it was new looking.

And for @Haggar, mine still hangs there also. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DocH said:

Greetings All!

New here and really like what I am seeing here!

Live in Orange County, NY

2001 Dodge 2500 Quadcab Long Bed

Cummins Non-HO Diesel with 47RE tranny with 161 k easy miles (Well other than the salt on the roads here!)

Great write-up!

How are Your radiator temps running after the Thermocure?

I have 161k on My 2001 2500 Cummins...and she's starting to run a bit warmer than before...

Replaced the thermostat, and still under even a slight hill the temp gauge shows above the middle , then when I run a steeper hill, she can run up to Almost 3/4 on the gauge...running empty on a 80 degree day.

I have replaced the coolant 3 x since new... coolant never has looked rough till this year.

Time for a new radiator or try the Thermocure?

And what are Folks opinions RE: a replacement radiator?

I see the usual Spectra units for $135 on amazon...or would a OEM for $302 be better?

http://www.mopardealerparts.com/p/Chrysler__/Radiator-engine-cooling/61598935/52030191AD.html?partner=Google_149_Mopar_StockCode

Or I am open to ideas as to what The Forum has found to be a good replacement unit.

Truck has an easy life... no real work, just a daily driver.

Thanks in advance for ideas

DocH

I was having temp issues similar to yours, and then my radiator sprung a leak. I had to replace it, I went with the spectrum, a little tweaking to get everything lined up on the radiator support but not to bad. Nothing wrong with the oem radiator if you can clean it but you do have to pull it to clean it good. Between my replacement radiator and the mopar1973man crankcase vent mod,  I have no more overheating issues even towing up the steep grades. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

THANKS All for the replies and for The Welcome!

Long-time Mopar Faithful One here!!

1st Ride = 1972 Charger bought in 1982 with about 110k on it.

318 with a 904

Took the valve train, Intake manifold ( with a Carter AFB) and a New Cam with the OEM 273 profile from a Pre 1970 273, and those parts Really woke the 318 up!

Factory radiator had been well maintained and I had no probs with it for about 5 more years...just kept it flushed.

On The Cummins, still undecided...

Is there an option price-wise between a Spectra and the OEM?

Thanks again for the Welcome!

Ed

Edited by DocH
Added content

• 3 months later...
  • Owner

Since rust is heavier that water you'll never see the rust in the neck of the radiator. Most of the rigs I've drained always comes out rusty colored in the last gallon of coolant. So run your span of miles you picked and the drain it out and see if the color holds true with the last gallon. This applies to both diesel and gas engines.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...