• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can anyone solve my mystery clunk

So @KATOOM wants to know more about my mystery clunk.

When unloaded I have a pretty nasty clunk/crash that can be felt in the floor.  Steering doesn't seem to be effected though.   It is directly related to when you unload the front suspesnion.  

From the drivers side it feels like it is coming from the passenger side, from the passenger side it doesn't feel as bad.  

Before we get into what I have replaced we need to look at the history of my truck, the PO must have broke the front axle as i have a 1994 d60 under the front rather than the 2000 that I was supposed to have on the truck,

Things I have replace that made no difference,

- ball joints, all of them

- steering assembly, 2x

- control arms 2x, upper and lower with new hardware and welding the caster adjuster in place, now have adjustable control arms due to that.

- control arm bushings 3x

- body mounts,

- sway bar mounts and bushings

- sway bar end links front and back.

- wheel bearings

- shocks 2x 

- track bar 3x

Things I am wondering about still,

Motor mounts, doesn't happen when I get on the skinny pedal though.

ovaled out body mounts for the control arms.

So who has the magic answer to my clunk?  I rightly dont care anymore. after 4 years of the clunk I just couldn't be bothered to fix it lol.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Under what conditions are needed to make the clunk?  Small bumps, road dips, curbs, pot holes, etc...  Is there any relation to weather or driving conditions?  Towing or not?  Does it sound metallic or soft and heavy?  Can you audibly hear it or only feel it?  Do you feel it in the steering wheel, under your but, or under your feet.  What track bar do you have and what joints does it have?  Lets get all CSI on this bugger..... :thumbup2:

If its an auto tranny I had this issue with all three of my 2nd gens and it wound up being the shift rod that runs between the body and the frame on the driver side gets dry and makes a very annoying clunk in the floor board area by the sheering shaft. It is a simple ball socket type connector that just needs lube and it has taken care of it on all my 2nd gens.

Man I do not miss chasing constant issues of the 2nd gens anymore.

Edited by Wild and Free

Pretty much all bumps,

Loaded truck clunks less.  

It is a metallic clunk,  both hear and feel nothing in the steering wheel

Feet mostly for feel. 

Dana ball joints and %100 rayebestos steering and track bar.

W&F I will look at that.I did do all new bushings on the shifter linkage.

• Staff

with truck not started have someone turn the wheel back and forth hard and watch the track bar upper and lower connection. Mine did this and we tightened the lowest knuckle bolt with an impact and went away. The one down on the axle housing is where you won't see much movement but has definite clunk.

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

I guess if I had replaced my track bar 3 times like @Me78569 says and still had the clunk, I might have to rule it out.

Mmmmm.....not sure I agree with that.  Because not only will the bottom track bar joint unknowingly slop around if its not tight enough, even though its thought to be properly tightened.  And all joint fittings besides the poly joints will bang and clank in very little time of use.  Heim fittings are notorious for this quick wear slop too and even Johnny Joints will loose their ability to remain quiet if they're not greased right and tightened occasionally.  So yes, track bar can still be an issue.

• Like 1

Nick, mine also does the same thing going down the highway, doesn't matter if it's 10mph or 70. Every little bump or load of the shocks/springs I get the clatter and thunking on the floor board, I have also done most of what you have stated above, balls joins, redhead steering, tires,  pretty much all new front end rebuild from Les Shawb, I remember it did it before the rebuild also. I don't get it when I'm loaded down though. I have searched and searched and searched more, and have came upwith nothing, my only thought is the coil springs? The one thing that I have never checked. Or my motor mounts 

Edited by fuze24v

I have thought about the coal springs also, maybe the rubber isolators are bad? 

Track bar is tight, check and rechecked, even used a jack to tighten the bolt down haha.... I've had someone crank on the wheel back and forth and I watch the track bar. 

It is a Rayebestos pro track bar along with all the other parts under the truck.  

1 minute ago, Wild and Free said:

You have an auto as well..................putting a pattern together here. Have you checked the shift linkage rod like I posted about above?

Replaced all of the bushings in that assembly haha.

31 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Mmmmm.....not sure I agree with that.  Because not only will the bottom track bar joint unknowingly slop around if its not tight enough, even though its thought to be properly tightened.  And all joint fittings besides the poly joints will bang and clank in very little time of use.  Heim fittings are notorious for this quick wear slop too and even Johnny Joints will loose their ability to remain quiet if they're not greased right and tightened occasionally.  So yes, track bar can still be an issue.

I can see it happening if not installed properly. i have had the clunking twice and both times the track bar was shot. The upper joint was just worn out. I guess I am putting faith in @Me78569 installing at least one of them properly.

• Like 1

Not a bushing issue its a dry part issue. I never replaced any parts in any of mine just needed to lube them up every 2-3 years or so and the clunk disappears. Not sure what parts there are to replace, its a ball & socket no wear parts in it that I know of, you may be thinking of another part than I am.

26 minutes ago, dripley said:

I can see it happening if not installed properly. i have had the clunking twice and both times the track bar was shot. The upper joint was just worn out. I guess I am putting faith in @Me78569 installing at least one of them properly.

I would agree to that.....

I regards to the clunk, Me have you checked the front driveshaft?