• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

6 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Yea and just because all the conditions are perfect for one tank of gas doesn’t mean that’s what kinda mileage you get.

Ummm... No wonder your MPG suck if you are putting GAS in your fuel tank no wonder it runs like crap. Seriously. My old logs from back in the day with my +50HP injectors and Edge Comp with cruise set at 55 MPH I use to get 22-24 MPG pretty constantly. I gave up my Edge Comp moved forward with the Quadzilla and never reach those numbers again. There is other factors like my original +50HP injectors from Vulcan died at 75k miles with misfire issues (pop pressure fell), then I lost the awesome VP44 pump that nearly made 250k miles. So now I'm rebuilding and attempting to reach my old averages of 22-24 MPG like the past. I want to beat my old high mark even by +0.1 MPG which is 27.2 MPG (hand Math).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
9 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Gas/fuel/diesel/petrol whatever you wanna call it, still missing my point.

Not really. I realize the limitations. You would have to EXACTLY perfect conditions to hit that high mark. Yes you won't be able to hit that every single day. Like my old data logs I could hit high number as long as I stay focused and never towed trailers or hauled heavy cargo. But I've done it in the past and I want to do it again with the Quadzilla and the new knowledge we have now.

• Owner

Now driving on this tune for the last few days I'm very pleased. Cruise engine load is reduced at least 10%, EGT can get really low at times dipping into the 400°F range. It very shock to see timing touching 24° while in 4th gear at 55 MPH winding through the canyon. Now the Quadzilla instant MPG floating 27 to as high as 40 with the roll of the highway.

@Me78569 I know you mention about the pump might of been a freak of nature but I started thinking about the basic functions of the VP44 pump and realized that fuel volume is based on plunger and cam ring (lobe height). Timing is based the cam ring position and shaft key. What if there is range of timing that is considered OK? What if my current pump was more on the retarded side? Fuel wise I can pump more than my turbo can handle. So this comes back to timing.

So spent few day measuring max advance of my VP44 duri,g normal road condition. Now adding 1, 2, or 3 degrees and what the results.

Its true with advanced timing... EGTs will fall, boost will drop, engine load will drop, and coolant temperature will rise some.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Yea I would see minor amounts of differences on the test bench that are acceptible.  That's why they have the key.  There are still things like mechanical efficentcy that come into play as well.   

I am still guessing best mpg happens above 20* of timing.  After watching the OEM timing and then watching what the edge does it only makes sense that timing needs to be high for good mpg and to match conditions prior to the quad for you.  I would not be surpised by 22*+ of timing.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

lrockth.jpg

Actually a crap ton of Oxidizer.

On this slide, we show a schematic of a liquid rocket engine. Liquid rocket engines are used on the Space Shuttle to place humans in orbit, on many un-manned missiles to place satellites in orbit, and on several high speed research aircraft following World War II. In a liquid rocket, stored fuel and stored oxidizer are pumped into a combustion chamber where they are mixed and burned. The combustion produces great amounts of exhaust gas at high temperature and pressure. The hot exhaust is passed through a nozzle which accelerates the flow. Thrust is produced according to Newton's third law of motion.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2018 at 10:52 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Now driving on this tune for the last few days I'm very pleased. Cruise engine load is reduced at least 10%, EGT can get really low at times dipping into the 400°F range. It very shock to see timing touching 24° while in 4th gear at 55 MPH winding through the canyon. Now the Quadzilla instant MPG floating 27 to as high as 40 with the roll of the highway.

How's that tune been? Think you'll update your uploaded one?

• Owner

Like another thing I'm finding out is that you need to consider the IAT temperature in your tune. Being I've got wild swings in temperature starting as low as 48-52*F IAT as I roll out in the morning through the canyon. Then by the time I'm returning home I could be as high as 125 to 130*F IAT and find myself moving all the bands of timing up and down to keep a sweet spot. Cooler mornings you can run more timing by the heat of the day you need to retard this some. 

With the smaller tires, the EGT's have been low. Engine load is low too like around 15-19% at 60 MPH on my last trip home. 

Also going to split up the tunes again. 

• 1 month later...

Read your entire topic, read some others here and there when I want to read, you've had a tough time with this economy deal over this year or so. What's your elevation on your route for moms dialysis? At sea level in my dually 4wd tow rig I've been averaging 22.5 handcalulated (odo and speed calibration to .1mph) on empty drives and 17-18 towing another dodge, weight :9200lbs GVW. And honestly there is hardly anything done to it besides general bolt-ons. I'd like to interject some info I think you and Joe Dirt over there may have overlooked...

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

What's your elevation on your route for moms dialysis?

2,800 -> 4,400 -> 2,600 roughly. So the entire trip down is downhill following a river. 3 grades to climb. Then the whole trip back home is all up hill. Home is 2,800 feet elevation so I climb out the hole to get to New Meadows, ID then drop downhill following Weiser River the whole way. The only 3 grades (Fort hall Grade, Mesa Grade, and Midvale Grade).