• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline Economy and MPG

Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Bigger than stock tires?   

I really don't want to push timing that hard that low,  I tried to pick the best range for cruise timing that wouldn't be in a lugged state.

Yeah, I have 33s on it. No problem. Better to just drive a little faster than strain the truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm going to upgrade to CSMs turbo he sent to me. That happened to be HX35/40 turbo just needs bearing kit. Also I'm not the type to run wide open very long, maybe passing other vehicles. Towards the end my 60s were slamming against the 1300 limit I've set. I've got to admit the stock injectors are smooth but power is reduced quite a bit now. Dropped me From my 19 to 20 MPG to barely 16 to 17 uncalibrated.

Turbo specs? 60/60/12 gated?

• Owner

I drove all the way from home to Boise, ID without a single issue. Did my shopping and meet back up with MoparMom. She had an issues during dialysis and I ended up taking here over to the hospital to checked out. After that was all done the truck was started semi-cold just below 140*F and was already misfiring. Knowing that US55 is the shorts route we start that direction. By the time I made it across town to start up US55 the misfire was getting really bad. I'd tried shutting down the Quadzilla no help. Now with it get so bad that power was starting to be affected minor amount but noticeable. I ditch the US55 route and head towards Emmett, ID to keep me in cell tower range in cases of total failure. Just as I turned off to head towards Emmett, ID the misfire was so bad it was actually creating a nasty sounding knock and had the entire engine rocking in the engine mounts. We were going to stop and get dinner in Emmett but everything was packed. I forged on... Now my next leg from Emmett to Payette the whole misfire thing started fading power was returning. By the time we stopped in Payette, ID the misfire was totally gone. The entire trip home from Payette, ID was totally trouble free.

So now I'm just totally trainwreck, I'm tired I rolled in at 10pm last night. Have no idea what the heck just happened last night. Kept rolling the diesel theory in my mind. Need compression and fuel. If this was a compression related failure I would of seen excessive blow by and the misfire wouldn't go away magically. This leads me toward fuel related failure. The only thing I can thing of both sets of injectors are VP44 at one point but that would be super strange to have only a single even beat misfire of the VP44.

So at this point and time my Cummins is out of service till I get some resolution to this problem. I've only got 2 days of and gotta be ready to roll again.

What are the odds you are getting fuel from a new place related to your travels as of late?  

Odds that a cross over tube is on the brink?  

there's an existing bug in the timing, but only if ect is between 120* and warmup temp setting, but it would only happen at idle and in warmup mode.  Issue is that the quad is ignoring the 2nd check ( well was I fixd it) and causing timing ot be retarded to soon.  IE 15* instead of 17*

I am assuming you were taking it easy during all of this trying to get her home?   driving style didn't seem to effect the miss?  

• Owner
21 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

What are the odds you are getting fuel from a new place related to your travels as of late?  

Been using the same fuel, fuel station and pump. 

Odds that a cross over tube is on the brink?

Those were replaced when I got the 60's from Vulcan Performance. So between the injectors and the cross over tubes they both have less than 100k miles on them. This last swap out I changed o-rings on the cross over tubes, made sure to blow them out with brake cleaner and blew them out more with compressed air backwards to make sure the edge filters were not plugged up.

I am assuming you were taking it easy during all of this trying to get her home?

When the misfire started to progress enough that it was shaking the stick in my hand I was backing down. Tried for a few block with the Quadzilla on 0 Level to see if it would change it. Nope. So the Quadzilla stayed on level 0 till after Payette when it started to clear up then I flipped it back on gave it hell to make up for last time and I was unwinding quickly and getting tired.

driving style didn't seem to effect the miss?  

I did try a few heavy throttle runs stock and with Quadzilla as long as the fuel rate was high enough the knock and misseem to fade. This was in traffic in Boise. By the time I got to Horsebend, ID it didn't matter. Climbing a 7% grade at 60 MPH it rattled and misfired the whole way up the grade. That had me really worried by that point because typically the misfire would go away as rail pressure came up the injector would fire now it was fading out and skipping. 

Then when I pull in the yard last night it was like all a bad nightmare. Idling smooth as ever and no issues. When I'm making 360 mile trips, limited cell service areas, MoparMom that can't really walk long distances at this point. I can't have a truck broke down and having to hike to cell service. 

Doing inspection and cleanup of my stock injectors before installing.

0310170838a.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

so you pulled in idling great after giving her hell, but earlier it was misfiring like nuts?   doesn't really seem to follow conditions?   

unplug the Quad box and put the map back to stock for your next trip, see what happens?   I doubt the quad is doing anything since you didn't have the issue on lvl 0, but it is an easy thing to test.  

• Owner

The whole misfire started with semi-cold engine continue for over 40 miles and then slowly faded out. Basically once I made Payette, ID it had stopped all together and left me 110 or so miles to travel. So at that point when the misfire stopped I turned the Quadzilla back up on 6 and dropped the hammer and ran +5 MPH over all speed limits to get home at 10pm. So it had over 100 miles of pure heavy foot driving including passing other vehicles at 80-90 MPH. Power was as expected with stock injectors and Quadzilla. I had the Quadzilla turn to level 0 when I climbed the grade into Horseshoe bend then it was still missing and carrying on.

18 minutes ago, dripley said:

What are the little blue thingys?

Nozzle caps to protect the nozzles during shipping.

What I might do today is hitch up the RV and drag it into town to abuse the truck a bit and see what happens.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

If the injectors dont fix it, the miss cant be verified to one injector by cracking lines, and no fuel leaks... i have to wonder if it isnt a vp issue like tyler had way back when.

• Owner

I'm going to lean on the injectors being a cause. Just went out this morning and fire up the truck left it idle with the hood open and listening. Rather tough with a squeaky fan belt too which is brand new. The idle is still smooth and no miss can be heard as of this morning.  Then I look up towards the tail pipe and it smoke white smoke with a tint of blue. When you get near the tail pipe and smell the smoke it stinks of fuel and burns your eyes. So, is it possible both sets of injectors are purely junk?

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now today I took it out and ran the ever loving dog trash out of the truck trying to get it hot to miss at all today. Nope... Like yesterday was a bad dream or something. Running just fine today not even a little miss at all. Freaking weird... :cookoo:

Sounds like it's not mechanical to me....

got any thoughts?  

Mike was saying he has a pretty thick smell of diesel out the tail pipe when it is missing.  

2 hours ago, crf450ish said:

I don't have a miss. That video was just one I found on YouTube 

oh,

Sorry I can't keep things straight.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

The whole misfire started with semi-cold engine continue for over 40 miles and then slowly faded out. Basically once I made Payette, ID it had stopped all together and left me 110 or so miles to travel. So at that point when the misfire stopped I turned the Quadzilla back up on 6 and dropped the hammer and ran +5 MPH over all speed limits to get home at 10pm. So it had over 100 miles of pure heavy foot driving including passing other vehicles at 80-90 MPH. Power was as expected with stock injectors and Quadzilla. I had the Quadzilla turn to level 0 when I climbed the grade into Horseshoe bend then it was still missing and carrying on.

Nozzle caps to protect the nozzles during shipping.

What I might do today is hitch up the RV and drag it into town to abuse the truck a bit and see what happens.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, CSM said:

If the injectors dont fix it, the miss cant be verified to one injector by cracking lines, and no fuel leaks... i have to wonder if it isnt a vp issue like tyler had way back when.

I had a similar miss when I got the truck out of the shop, only at idle, never under power. I bled the lines 3-4 times and it ended up going away.

at first I thought it was trapped air, but now I more or less believe it was a VP issue. Hasn't acted up since, but was a bad miss when it happened