• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

I have a Blue Chip pump that fits that description with one minor variance. I bought it in 2010. It has what you describe above except I dont remember anything about an angled sensor nor the latest updated rotor and distributor. Might very well have but that is to much for me to remember from that long ago. The pump has 179K on it at the moment.

• Owner

OEM replacement pump @ 50k miles under warranty. Current odometer is 290k miles so that makes 240k miles on this pump still going. 

Personally with Blue Chip the prices are too high for used PSG units, then the pumps with new PSG are even steeper. In either case Blue Chip does not have Bosch 815 test stand to calibrate the pumps. Both Vulcan Performance and DAP both sell VP44 pump with only new PSG units and all pump are calibrated on a Bosch 815 test stand for way less money than Blue Chip. 

• Like 3

• Owner

I want to attempt for 300k miles on this pump to prove it can be done.

15 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

My auto rule of thumb, if any part lasts 100k then it is in no way unreliable. 

Hmmm... Remember 290k miles on the clock. I've got many things on my truck yet that are 290k miles and never been disturbed yet. I've got most of my replacement parts well above 100k on most. 

@crf450ish Personally I would look towards DAP or Vulcan Performance for injection pump. If you look at my Certified Bosch Rebuilder list you'll find Blue Chip is not listed.

Like I could never list myself as a Cummins Engine rebuild because I don't have the proper machinery and tools to do the job. This doesn't mean I can't rebuild an engine just means I must send it all out to second party to do the machine work for me. So that brings up the question what is the quality of the second party? 

Now I know both DAP and Vulcan are mere vendors but I know the source of where both get their VP44 pumps from. DAP and Vulcan both use Industrial Injection (which is listed on my page). Then DAP also carries Midwest Fuel Injection as well (which is also listed on my page).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Blue Chip definitely does NOT build their own pumps. I was a little surprised when I learned that a few years back. Back in 2010 when I bought I just figured the did. The main reason I bought from the was because the PSG WAS new and not a used unit, along with the other things mentioned above. It was one of their main selling points. They had them with used like everyone else for less than what I paid.I might have paid to much for sure but I did not want used electronics on it. I will probably go a different route when ever this one craps out. this one has seen 2 stroke for most all of its life.

OK guys thanks a lot!  I'm not in the market for a new VP or anything I was just curious cause I seen a thread on CF, and someone was raving about blue-chip so I went to their website and could not believe their prices and just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with them now I remember why I chose DAP for my VP 44 back in 2014. 

My VP 44 has been Tapped since day one  as well as being fed constant 15-16 psi via FASS & TCW-3 oil at most fill ups.

Edited by crf450ish

• Owner
23 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

Ran a few tanks of red fuel too

The only thing red fuel is untaxed... I've got so many locals here than believe that red dye fuel is so much better fuel wise. Really the only difference between red dye and undyed is just the taxes. The fuel is no different than undyed. 

Now be aware the fines for being caught with red dye in the tank are quite steep. Last I checked in Idaho its $1,000 fine for every 1 gallon of fuel in the tank. 

• Like 1

• Staff
56 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sometimes the name is just a name, it doesn't specify the amount of quality. 

nor does it always represent the guys turning the wrenches.

Usually the more attraction to the advertising the more I try to glean more information and research.

Edited by JAG1

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The only thing red fuel is untaxed... I've got so many locals here than believe that red dye fuel is so much better fuel wise. Really the only difference between red dye and undyed is just the taxes. The fuel is no different than undyed. 

Now be aware the fines for being caught with red dye in the tank are quite steep. Last I checked in Idaho its $1,000 fine for every 1 gallon of fuel in the tank. 

I know. Haven't done it since. 

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

The old saying , ''he who hesitates looses'', is not always true. He who hesitates gains more information before jumping in.

That's important because there are so many advertisements that only show the nice cover. Taking time to do a little extra research/ ask questions can take time but can be well worth it.

I did better due diligence on the VP than I have on other things. All the bad things I heard caused me to make the decision to buy BC's pump

• Like 1

I'm gonna answer your questions in reverse order. Sorry. 

- VP was on the truck when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it was the original. 

- it has 138,4xx miles on it

- The VP has been fed by the fass for just about 9000 miles now. 

8 minutes ago, trreed said:

I'm gonna answer your questions in reverse order. Sorry. 

- VP was on the truck when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it was the original. 

- it has 138,4xx miles on it

- The VP has been fed by the fass for just about 9000 miles now. 

It wasn't the factory VP. It had the in-tank retrofit, meaning it had died once. 

37 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

It wasn't the factory VP. It had the in-tank retrofit, meaning it had died once. 

But it still had the void sticker covering the VP plug.  You sliced through it when you stole my VP that one time

I got the in tank pump around 150k with out a vp replacement. My oe lasted 75k and the replacement lasted well beyond the the in tank replacement. I have read a lot of threads about them going out at the same time but it was not the case for me.

19 minutes ago, trreed said:

But it still had the void sticker covering the VP plug.  You sliced through it when you stole my VP that one time

Dealership puts that on so you don't void your warranty. 

9 minutes ago, dripley said:

I got the in tank pump around 150k with out a vp replacement. My oe lasted 75k and the replacement lasted well beyond the the in tank replacement. I have read a lot of threads about them going out at the same time but it was not the case for me.

Yours is a first for me.