• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ceramic disc pads

This question is not for me but I am not far from having my pads changed. Someone I know is thinking of putting Ceramic pads on his truck. I used to think a middle of the road set of disc pads always worked great, not the cheapest or the most expensive, At times when things were tight the cheapest. Do ceramic work better or last longer?

• Owner

Same here... I ran 185k on my OEM brakes and now heading to 300k on economy brake pads. Lot of people call me a cheater for having an exhaust brake. So why is it that I've got a 1996 Dodge 1500 (46RE auto, V8 5.9L) and kept brakes on that for over 160k miles? No exhaust brake on that truck. I've still got my OEM rotors yet on the 2002. 

@Me78569 is right you are best off with a low grade brake pads that will not eat the rotor. 

• Like 1

I had ebc green stuff, I think, ceramic, didn't like the stopping power loaded up. Rolled through a stop sign or two when there was significant weight in the bed. They heat up.

However, my 1/2 ton has ceramics with no issues, but I don't haul/tow the same weight as the dodgey.

I have ceramic on the front and they have been fine the year or more they have been on. I have not towed with them as of yet. I am little worried about from what I have read. Always pays to read first and but second. I did that backwards. I did get a good deal though.

I replaced my factory pads at 115k miles on the odometer with almost 1/4" of material left on them.  Bought OEM replacement quality from NAPA because I too am not one to buy the best brake parts since it usually means they're more aggressive to achieve more friction.  More friction means more wear on the rotors.

Yes, exhaust brakes do help too.  But as like Moparman, my vehicles dont go through brakes like I read where some do.  Usually I can get around 100k miles (or close to that) between brake pads.

• 2 weeks later...