• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

On the cavitation issue you want to make sure your return lines go as deep as possible into the basket. Put some notches at bottom of return pipes, just like Mike did on his draw straw. Tried that on my basket before reinstalling it with lines about 2, 3 inches of the bottom, tested in the five gallon bucket. What I found out is diesel fuel foms a lot, which should have been clear to me after watching it foam when you fill up a 5-gallon can at the pump. See if the cavitation goes away with full tank versus quarter of a tank. Otherwise air is getting entrained one way or the other. Also could just be ball and spring in the return side of fass if you're experiencing pressure swing. 

As for the flat-earth stuff, there are too many links to list we could start the topic on it elsewhere in the Forum.  There are few channels I can recommend to watch, but boy is it time consuming. I don't want to believe that it's a psyop,  if it is it's certainly a genius one. Here are some channels to look up.  Rob Skiba, Richyfromboston, Eric Dubay, Russianvids, ODDTV, Nicholson1968, Jeranism.   

I believe these are good Channels, there are more out there,  but this will get going a lot of people. Be patient and give it time you will not regret it.

Highway to Hell and Stairway to Heaven says a lot on its own.

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner
2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

What I found out is diesel fuel foms a lot, which should have been clear to me after watching it foam when you fill up a 5-gallon can at the pump. See if the cavitation goes away with full tank versus quarter of a tank. Otherwise air is getting entrained one way or the other. Also could just be ball and spring in the return side of fass if you're experiencing pressure swing. 

This is one reason I love my old school draw straw (without the basket). My return is the filler neck so the foam issue doesn't occur. Never have this issue at all. Still, to this day don't have any quarter tank issues either with a 12 year old AirDog 150.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
39 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is one reason I love my old school draw straw (without the basket). My return is the filler neck so the foam issue doesn't occur. Never have this issue at all. Still, to this day don't have any quarter tank issues either with a 12 year old AirDog 150.

So how do you have the fuel tank level sending unit mounted without the basket? Or am I missing something?

@JAG1 he left his basket alone and his return from head and injectors still return to basket, when unmolested it goes all the way to the bottom. And his ad 150 returns to filler neck. Difference is Mike did it himself right the first time so the straw is at the bottom. I and many others that suffered from 1/4 to 3rd full tank sucking air issue when stopping or taking off quick, ended up modifing fuel basket and not everyone did that one right ether. In my case po did the draw straw install and when I decided to modify basket I realized that my straw was at least an inch from the bottom, so instead of ordering another straw I did the basket upgrade since I had the kit in the garage. 

• Like 1

So my draw straw is about 1/8" off the bottom of the basket, so the cavitation issues caused by foaming shouldn't be an issue.  I'm thinking its either the water separator filter (which I'll be replacing tomorrow) or the ball and spring, and i've already messed with that.  Who knows though.

It's not so much the draw straw that will cause cavitation but the return lines if they go to same place. Draw straw if installed wrong will cause sucking air when fuel gets low, but if it's installed  in your basket and return fuel also goes to basket you have to make sure return is as low as the draw straw or it will foam fuel that draw straw is trying to suck. 

My pick up and both return lines go into the basket. I have had no issue with any cavitation or premature fuel starvation. All part of the kit that came with my AD. It will also suck the tank dry.  I have, however, always wondered how warm the fuel is with this set up. 

• Staff

I have a pre filter that tends to hold an air pocket above the filter in the filter head. It keeps building air in there coming in from the draw straw. I bleed it off and it develops again. So last night a plumber friend of mine made me a filler neck piece with a half inch 'T' so I can plumb in the return to the fill neck.

If this doesn't stop the air the next thing will be to cut off the quick connect at the draw straw and hose clamp it in place.

Todays project anyway:USflag:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I got the fuel return going into the fill neck.. I will know in about a day if that solves the remaining 10-20% of the F/P gauge fluctuation. Used to be all over the place when first installed and I think an indication of air and/or cavitation problems.

• Owner
On 6/16/2017 at 8:40 AM, JAG1 said:

So how do you have the fuel tank level sending unit mounted without the basket? Or am I missing something?

Stock basket is still present untouched. Draw straw is not inside nor near the stock basket. My straw is in the open space of the tank without any reservoir or basket. Return line from the engine is still fed to the stock fuel basket. My AirDog return is in the filler neck away from the draw straw. My straw tip is only the thickness of a single quarter (coin) to the bottom. I've gone several times well below the 1/8 of tank and touched empty a few times without much issues.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Had a question.  A while back, someone was talking about return springs from Vulcan (I think it was @dripley?) and ordering the 17 psi return spring.  I don't see any spring labeled FASS on their website, does anyone know if they stopped carrying the FASS springs?  Or is there a hidden spring I'm missing on the site?

It's because it's not a FASS spring, it's an Airdog spring! :thumb1:

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Spring-AirDog-17-PSI-p/1v-1-00003.htm

and it was probably me talking about it lol. Might also be worth buying the Viton ball the Airdog system uses as well, it's a little tougher material and seems less prone to get indented by the spring.

Edited by notlimah

I'm glad someone caught the hidden question!  It felt pretty dumb to ask "does the airdog spring fit in a fass?"  Maybe I've been spending too much time in the Facebook groups reading "how much tire can I fit with no lift".....

@notlimah did you stretch the spring out at all to up the pressure or just run it as it?

As for the Viton ball, that is a good idea. My original one definitely has scoring from the spring on it. Hopefully this combo will stop my fluctuations in the FP gauge

2 hours ago, trreed said:

Had a question.  A while back, someone was talking about return springs from Vulcan (I think it was @dripley?) and ordering the 17 psi return spring.  I don't see any spring labeled FASS on their website, does anyone know if they stopped carrying the FASS springs?  Or is there a hidden spring I'm missing on the site?

Not me. Glad you seemed to have found the right person though. One of the reasons I bought the ADII was that it has a regulator that I can adjust. 

Honestly, with all the issues I've had with keeping consistent pressure, I've thought about removing the ball and spring completely and putting an adjustable regulator in the return line..

Edited by trreed

I didn't stretch the spring, just ran as is and haven't seen pressures below 17 when driving once warmed up.

The viton ball does make a difference imo.

Here's what the (3rd) Buna ball from FASS looked like when I took it out and was having issues with erratic pressures

IMG_3832.JPG.da690370addffad39577cb41d1682a3b.JPG

It's the closer one in the shot and you can see the clear indent.

It was stuck in the spring and caused the spring to even collapse on itself like this

IMG_4100.JPG.10bd7b1396a8ea619c074671a6071bf8.JPG

This is also caused my fuel pressure to increase with rpm. 

I think youll notice things smooth out once the airs out airs out of the system with the new spring and Viton ball. You can't use the Airdog return line fitting though. It's too big.

IMG_4097.JPG.b91a800a722b0a8565e2149fa5873dc2.JPG

Hard to tell by that pic but it won't seat all the way so just use your FASS fitting and Airdog spring and ball.

also fwiw, if what I just posted didn't work for me I was looking into the regulator as well. Just a tough one to swallow spending 140 on top of the 600 dollar price tag :sick:

My fass ball looks an awful lot like yours does, and I was also noticing spikes in pressure at higher RPM..  So the new spring and ball are now on their way (along with some new hose for good measure) and hopefully that'll fix some of these issues.

I'm sure glad someone else has had these issues!

• Like 1