• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have 1999 cumins 4x4 automatic that has recently had vp44 replacement and while driving it seems to miss it mostly does this not under a load like when going down hill it doesn't do it while accelerating. It has two new batteries. I am not getting any codes no check engine light and I have no clue what to look for on a diesel. 

Any idea on what your fuel pressure coming from your Lift Pump is?  Your fuel filter may need to be changed.  What mods have you done to your truck?  Why did the IP get changed?  Was this miss happening before the swap?

It was happening sometimes before IP swap. Changed IP because it was smoking and had no power changed lift pump when I changed IP. It is also hard to start I have to cycle key a few times before it will start it idles and has plenty of power. There are no mods on engine. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1970man said:

It was happening sometimes before IP swap. Changed IP because it was smoking and had no power changed lift pump when I changed IP. It is also hard to start I have to cycle key a few times before it will start it idles and has plenty of power. There are no mods on engine. 

I don't know anything about fuel injectors. How do I check them? 

4 hours ago, Mopar1970man said:

By cycling the key do you mean turning the engine over a few times before it starts or you have to turn the key a few times before the starter will turn the engine over? If the engine is turning over but not starting you are possibly getting air into the fuel system.

This Mopar Man thing could get interesting.:ahhh:

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

The wts comes on for a couple of seconds. Truck had been sitting up for 3 years before I got it from a relative. I recently had the IP changed and lift pump. I had read on a site that it may be the copper crush washers does anyone have any ideas on that? The truck seems like the fuel shuts off while driving the rpms will drop 300-400 and come right back up.  

• Owner
2 hours ago, Mopar1970man said:

The wts comes on for a couple of seconds.

You missed what I was looking for. When you turn the key on does the Wait To Start come on the very instant the key click to the ON position or is there a small delay (maybe a few seconds) before it lights up then go out?

• Like 1

Still need to know your fuel pressure, even new lift pump can be junk. And I agree on loosing prime, air is gettingin somewhere in fuel for it to start hard. If you're planning on keeping the truck I suggest to put a good lift pump like fass and basic gauges, fuel pressure, egt, tranny temp if an auto to begun with. On the injectors if you're going to take them out, just get some rv275  and call it a day until you figure out where to go next with your truck. RVs can always be a back up injectors if you ever go bigger. Definitely check for AC current on the alternator output,  causes alot of problems. 

I had injectors rebuilt that has seemed to fix the surging of the engine. My apps is at 8.6% at idle I'm gonna try to reset because it's hard to stay at slower speeds. I'm still having hard starts but if I turn key on and off until wts comes on it starts fine. I'll be inspecting fuel lines for air leaking in at connections. I'll keep y'all updated. I will also be adding fuel pressure gauge and trans temp gauge. Thanks for all the help

Edited by Mopar1970man