• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket leaking oil

12 minutes ago, trreed said:

This is correct.  So it's a 60/58.8/18.2

So basically it's identical to @Mopar1973Man hybrid aside from I belive his is 60/60/12 be interesting to know all numbers, Mike also mentioned that it's more laggy but sounds like he's running stock injectors at its time. Really makes me wonder why my exhaust turbine measures 58 and the one I just tore appart also 58 and it should be in hy35 :think:

That's why dap said k27 is better for Towing to keep egts and drive pressure down, and shouldn't affect spool because it's a whole different design of a turbo

Edited by Dieselfuture

Ok, I'm finding a lot of contradictory info on the turbine size online.. I could've sworn it was 60mm. I have a turbine sitting around, once I make it back to Denver I'll measure it..

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Took the opportunity of head being off and did my rock solid bushing for steering, it was still not super easy and probably can be done without removing steering column but I feel bad for that guy. Anyway it's nice and tite just how I like it. Hopefully clunk will go away now. I'll let you all know.

5968189b0845a_2017-07-1320_02_05.jpg.9a6762588837ff1ccae28dba2827bcaa.jpg

596818a2384cf_2017-07-1320_01_51.jpg.8d49a0b48c13f4e07d4a3302b1d34648.jpg

@Mopar1973Man @Me78569 I think this would make for a nice article!!

I need to do this :shifty:  She's all sorts of sloppy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I know at least @dripley is aware of this rock solid bushing but last I heard he has one just hasn't had time to put it in. I thought in dodge world everyone has one installed by now, but you all to busy making 1000 hp.

I dont have one but am very aware of them. Pretty well thought it was a well known fix like you. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Alright talked my better half in a new turbo. I'm realy thinking about getting k27 for my set up. I loved driving it before, so I think with 400 hp and maybe 800 flb of torque is all I'd ever want. I like reliable and efficient truck, although that hasn't been the case yet but hopefully will one day. If I can have that power and egts in check and it should work with my 75hp injectors and my exhaust break that I like. I don't see any other turbos that's a direct bolt on to what I got and having a safe 400hp. I'm realy passed the point of spending money just to feel like I'm in a drag car, it just doesn't stop going that route. Plus I guess just incase if I ever decided to have more power they sell a twin kit that uses k27 as primary and makes a great towing set up. But I think if I gain another 100 hp with what I'm trying to do I'll be more then happy. I think some of you feel me, there is always going to be someone faster stronger etc. I just hope the few reviews I found on k27 is real deal, people seemed to be happy. I wish there was someone on this site that has expirience with one, o well I'll be the guinea pig. Unless there is a strong opinions against what I'm trying to do. Please let me know. 

Got the head and it's looking pretty in red. Pulled few valve out jus to see and it looks nice. Guides look like brass, he said they were brass coated, and it looks like they have small groves in them to mabe keep oil. Valves look great too, nice surface contact line.

59697f7ed83f6_2017-07-1420_53_52.jpg.29fdea6bde4e8e78b9b16558aceffcfa.jpg59697f856db65_2017-07-1420_53_32.jpg.79d416ad065fd71452818ae1b345b068.jpg59697f8bab67d_2017-07-1420_55_09.jpg.09f3f3165238b4a055b3d0d1659dd2ee.jpg59697fa447d1b_2017-07-1420_55_38.jpg.9eb0528b79c1cc04141c205662dc5fe4.jpg

• Like 1

i was tickled with the banks system I had when everything was right on it. Then I put the rv's in and even that much happier. Good reliable power. i would however take a ride in one of the big horse power truck just feel it. But I know my limitations for now. Good luck with the build.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

i was tickled with the banks system I had when everything was right on it. Then I put the rv's in and even that much happier. Good reliable power. i would however take a ride in one of the big horse power truck just feel it. But I know my limitations for now. Good luck with the build.

Thanks dripley, I've been In a few fast cars and generally most of them were a money pit, I had a few myself. Luckily got married and had kids, otherwise I'd still blow all of the money on toys. Life I got now keeps me in check, and I still get to go fishing/hunting and work on a truck thats a race car/work horse/fun to drive. And now to my surprise wife said ok to a turbo after spending money on the head, I'm a happy camper. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

So does my wife but the 6 speed was over her head. She also said it was to big. Had to rent a truck many years ago for her to drive. It happened to be a 2nd gen half ton. Said that was the right size truck for her. Not sure I ever convinced her it was the same truck as mine.

• Like 3

Here is some more info on k27

The K27 turbocharger is capable of supporting diesel trucks up to 450HP. Featuring a 58/83.7mm Forged Milled Wheel (FMW). The 7/7-blade compressor is made to resist low- and high-cycle fatigue. The 70/58.83mm 12 blade Inconel turbine is a made for quick-response. The turbine wastegate housing is a twin-volute, and an adjustable wastegate actuator is preset at 26 PSI (325hp), which is safe up to 40PSI (450hp) with a Power Driven Diesel Turbo Tuner. Like the Holset, the oil inlet is a threaded M12 and oil drain is threaded M8.

23 minutes ago, trreed said:

Congrats on the new turbo!  I finally remembered to measure mine, and it was right under 60mm....  Curious why the discrepancy existed at all, considering we both started with the same turbo..

IMG_3796.JPG

They must of made way too many hx35 with different wheels. Both of mine were 58, unless someone messed with them before me. 

I'm still thinking about a turbo, but at this point leaning towards k27. I usually cruse at 18-2000 RPM so I definitely don't want a turbo that starts spooling at that. And can't find too much info on people that use it, seems like everyone wants a rocket. I don't want to rebuild my engine every 50k or change head gaskets. Would like to see at least 300k without taking any major components off after this head goes on. And having a smaller turbo with good control over egts will keep the head from cracking and overall stress on the truck. I'm just hoping to see a good 100hp gain out of it then I'll be happy. 

Got the head put on this weekend, putting rockers on and adjusting the valves now. Ended up torqueing to 50 first ( new head gasket, otherwise going to 90 right away would start lifting head off to one side, then after I went to 50 on all of them, I lossened them all up and then back to 50) then 90, 110,135. Most of the washers ended up spinning on the head instead of staying put, but I had arp lube all over so it's probably ok. Got few questions go figure. What's the torque on rocker arm assembly I seen 18 and 27 ft/lb. And do you go 10/20 or 8/18 on valve lash when motor is cold. Also I jumped ahead on my self and put my 75hp injectors in and mow wondering what's the best way to tell if I'm on TDC going through firing order, so I can torque rockers. And last question if using alternator nut to rotate the engine I believe you go in reverse but which way does crankshaft turn when motor is running, any I'll effects on injection pump if it's spinning wrong way. 

Well let's say I got pretty comfortable sitting on random things in engine bay, as. Is still sore, wouldn't wanna do this for a living. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

Torque is 18 ft lbs on rockers. If you go more, you can run the risk of the threads pulling out of the head (ask me how I know)

I went 8/18 on valve lash, as it quiets the motor down just a touch more.

For TDC, the front cover has a little "TDC" stamped right above the breather.  Unscrew the vent, and the VP gear has a line scored into the gear itself.  Just line that gear up perfectly vertically pointing at the TDC stamp and you're at TDC.  Moving the gear 180* so the line is pointing vertically to the bottom and you're at BDC and can do the other 6 rockers.

I use the alternator to rotate it, just be careful to not accidentally loosen the alternator nut.  From the front, the crankshaft spins clockwise, so turn the alternator CCW.   

No ill effects of turning the VP backwards either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trreed said:

Torque is 18 ft lbs on rockers. If you go more, you can run the risk of the threads pulling out of the head (ask me how I know)

I though this was a different reason.... ;)

• Like 1

• Owner
On 7/14/2017 at 10:32 PM, Dieselfuture said:

I don't want to rebuild my engine every 50k or change head gaskets. Would like to see at least 300k without taking any major components off after this head goes on.

I'm still OEM assembled engine yet. Head has never been removed. 308k miles are rolling yet.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:32 PM, Dieselfuture said:

And having a smaller turbo with good control over egts will keep the head from cracking and overall stress on the truck. I'm just hoping to see a good 100hp gain out of it then I'll be happy. 

I'm really surprised with the HX35/40 with stock injectors and Quadzilla Adrenaline (Untapped ~60HP). Impossible to reach 1,200*F. Even climbing grades with a heavy foot I've only made 1,100*F EGT's. It's a very good upgrade for a stock-ish truck to control EGT's for sure. 

Best part still I got to keep my exhaust brake.

• Like 1