• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Quadzilla Tuning R & D Thread

Me78569

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

adding wiretap is like mutliplying the canbus signal by up to ~%30 

IE: canbus only 0-4095  if we add wiretap the upper limit extends to ~5300 but that 1200 of extra duration is done by bypassing hte psg.

So why limit it to 4095 from factory, to prolong the life of VP. I know a lot of things are designed to run at 80% 

That wouldn't help my situation anyway. My stalling issues happen after letting off the throttle after a stab. The truck factory Defuels after letting off the throttle to get the rpms back to 800, undershoots, and attempts a recovery. The issue is always at TPS = 0.

I started noticing tonight that it takes longer to start. A tad bit worse cold starting than the 7x.014's were at 340 bar, which cold started excellent. Actually unbelievably well. There's a stumble now and a tiny bit more cranking. Not a ton but noticeable.

Also, I noticed tonight that when up to full operating temps, it starts significantly worse. Extra couple seconds of cranking and stumbling. But when running, it's fine. And it drives exceptionally well. Definitely the best running so far.

All in all I think the moral of the story is increase pop until just before any introduced issues become a pain in the ***. I'm thinking that's going to be around 350 bar in my case.

19 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

So why limit it to 4095 from factory, to prolong the life of VP. I know a lot of things are designed to run at 80% 

That's the highest number a 12 bit bus can represent..... See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-bit

You know how 1 bit binary is 0,1, where 1 is the largest number it can represent.

12bit_ps.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 08/12/2017 at 7:17 AM, jlbayes said:

What is your lift pump setup? Is the lift pump running while you are cranking?

Walbro 392 mounted on the frame rail, 1/2" lines (mostly) and a sump. It primes with key on and after a crank but I've never actually attempted to listen to it while cranking, pretty tough. Fuel pressure is always good though. My only gauge is on the quad, which is on an android head unit, which loses power while cranking.

• Owner
21 hours ago, rogerash0 said:

That's the highest number a 12 bit bus can represent..... See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-bit

You know how 1 bit binary is 0,1, where 1 is the largest number it can represent.

12bit_ps.jpg

Hexidemical its equal to FFF (4,095 Decimal) 1000 hex would be 4,096 decimal.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F 10 (I just counted to 16 in Hexadecimal)

Yeah, I'm doing this because I love to play with numbers and different number systems. :whistle:

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Ya its interesting stuff, I had a 5th + 6th grade teacher who taught us how to count in base 2 to 10. I'd like to know more about it, like what you mentioned above. Kind of an inperson topic tho. I often wonder why we dont / wish we did have an mirc channel for the frequents of this board. That was kinda neat back in the day /w the Techspot(.com) fellows. (and other underground warez peoples, back before p2p when hacking corporate ftps was a real thing)

I did some wep encryption packet sniffing with aircrack-ng and got the passwords in hex I believe it was. I wanted to convert them to plaintext but never figured out how, because windows would take the hex & accept it to connect.

Edited by rogerash0
  • Haha 1

If it's of any interest to you guys I did just get a bunch of quality information on pop pressures and the benefits and consequences of raising it. Let me know if it's pertinent or has any interest to you and I can shed some light at lunch time

• Like 2

I started by mentioning I thought about raising pop pressure to 320-330 bar to help with idle and off idle haze from poor atomization from large injectors, and he responded with "that's a bad idea"

Then I asked what the negative consequences of upping the pop pressure was and he said "stalling is the main issue, It’s more pronounced in an auto though. There will be zero benefits to raising the pressure. You’ll lose power as well."

I brought up the idle haze again and atomization again and he said "The problem isn’t atomization. Most confuse intensity for atomization. Atomization is mostly controlled by the relationship of the needle and nozzle."

I then asked how much timing would be lost due to higher pop and he said "Not significantly no. It will shorten duration. In effect making quantify injected less." I mentioned with the quad wire tap settings you would likely be able to pull back some of that duration and he said "not all of it, it's still a mechanical injector"

Weston is not very open to the idea, have you read the thread I had on Compd?   He admitted that increasing hole size decreased the ablity for the injector to spray as efficently at low rpms.  He said increasing pop pressure would help that issue, but he said he didn't see the point.

my truck idles EXACTLY the same as before the increased pop pressure.  Kzimmer has no issues with idle and stalling at 365 bar.   we can force the truck to stall, but it takes REALLY bad habits to do so.  Keep in mind my converter is also a "super low stall" from revmax.  

wiretap or more canbus will hold the fueling solenoid open longer, mechanical or not.  This will push more fuel through.  

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197943

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I updated my post.   No one was very open to the idea and refused to look at any data.   pretty sad thread when it comes to trying to know more about how things work. 

Just a lot of "those injectors are too big" and "you won't gain power " "you should listen" yadda yadda yadda

Thanks I'll check it out tonight. I still feel like people can't comprehend the capabilities of the quad and what things may be possible now that weren't in the past...yes they might be old and outdated, but the technology advancement of the v2 and the adjustability has made things that never used to work, now work flawlessly... I think their is hidden potential that some people don't care to find because they are old and "outdated" trucks that aren't sought after by many

I honestly dont know where the rumor of increased pop pressure = stalling issues,  I dont htink it is pop pressure, I think it is fueling being pulled to rapidly.  

My testing just doesn't support pop pressure being the reason for stalling.  My truck should be the worse in terms of this issue.