• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

PCM starting issue

22 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Theory...

C1 basically is killing the power to the PCM. So I've got to ask do you have a security key fob? Basically the ECM has to ask for permission to fire up and see if the security fob is armed or disarmed. 

Ok I found the one that came with the truck when I bought it from the stealership. Its different from my other 01. I loaded some pics for you. I sent the wife out for a new battery, this one is dead, and I will let you know if that solved the problem unarming it. My other 01 does not have the blinking red light on the steering column. It use to blink a while back, now it doesn't do anything. Do you think that its aftermarket the stealership had put on? Just out of curiosity.

22 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

In the wiring diagram I am confused on the C1 connecter still . What does CKPEng stand for and where does it go? Also the Fused B+ on the same connector where does it go. The diagram does not show . Does that mean they go to the ECM possibly?

2002-Dodge-Wiring-Pg1_LI (2).jpg

AAARRGGGHH! went out to try to start it after I replaced the batteries in the remote, heard it unlock the door to disarm and the dang batteries are down it wont start. I just had them charged! :ahhh::mad: I put both batteries on a charge, they are not that old.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

It's a dealer only thing. You would have to program the fob for that vehicle.  You can't just trade fob and expect it to work. They must be programmed by a DRBIII tool which the dealer has. Other than then any Dodge owner would be able to steal your truck. :whistle:

Hey guys i've been busy and sick with this crazy flu, @Mopar1973Man any ways you can actually program the key fobs with the ccd bus beta tool.

No stealership visits necessary or the drb3 tool.

Edited by Chris O.

• Owner
18 hours ago, mopar440cu said:

In the wiring diagram I am confused on the C1 connecter still . What does CKPEng stand for and where does it go? Also the Fused B+ on the same connector where does it go. The diagram does not show . Does that mean they go to the ECM possibly?

That Crank Sensor (Tach signal) it comes from the ECM

7 hours ago, Chris O. said:

@Mopar1973Man any ways you can actually program the key fobs with the ccd bus beta tool.

:shrug: How?

• Thanks 1

Key fob programming available in CTM menu, currently the beta software does not auto detect CTM version.

You can only do this on High-line and Premium-line CTM version, if your truck has overhead console then it should be equipped with either High-line CTM or Premium-line CTM version.

Three versions of the Central Timer Module (CTM) are available:
 Base version (CTM)~(No connection to CCD BUS)
 High-line version (CTM) and Premium-line version (CTM)~(heated seats option).

https://mopar1973man.com/files/file/155-chrysler_ccd_beta_013inoinohex/

Ok, update. I used the remote FOB and disarmed it and she still didn't start up. I also unlocked the door twice with the key, another site suggest this, and it also did not start. The only way it starts is I have to unplug the ground wire connector that goes to the C1 near the passenger battery or disconnect the C1 wire. This  is driving me nutz!!:ahhh::think:

Perhaps it's the switch.

Make sure the CAV-PIN 6 works correctly (A/T) PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH SENSE.

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE C1 (DIESEL) - BLACK 32 WAY
CAV -----CIRCUIT------------------FUNCTION
1 - -
2 -------F18 18LG/BK--------------FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)
3 - -
4 -------K4 18BK/LB----------------SENSOR GROUND
5 - -
6 ------T41 18BK/WT---------------(A/T) PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH SENSE <----------------------
7 - -
8 ------K24 18GY/BK---------------CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
9 - -
10 - -
11 - -
12 - -
13 - -
14 - -
15 - -
16 - -
17 - -
18 - -
19 - -
20 - -
21 - -
22 -------A14 14RD/WT--------------FUSED B(+)
23 -------K22 18OR/DB--------------THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
24 - -
25 - -
26 - -
27 - -
28 - -
29 - -
30 - -
31 ------Z12 14BK/TN--------------GROUND
32 ------Z12 14BK/TN--------------GROUND

The way I see it, it's a safety switch preventing you from starting the truck if the switch is constantly open not in PARK/NEUTRAL position.

I believe the switch should be connected to (GND) in park or neutral position.

Edited by Chris O.
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chris O. said:

Perhaps it's the switch.

Make sure the CAV-PIN 6 works correctly (A/T) PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH SENSE.

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE C1 (DIESEL) - BLACK 32 WAY
CAV -----CIRCUIT------------------FUNCTION
1 - -
2 -------F18 18LG/BK--------------FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)
3 - -
4 -------K4 18BK/LB----------------SENSOR GROUND
5 - -
6 ------T41 18BK/WT---------------(A/T) PARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH SENSE <----------------------
7 - -
8 ------K24 18GY/BK---------------CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
9 - -
10 - -
11 - -
12 - -
13 - -
14 - -
15 - -
16 - -
17 - -
18 - -
19 - -
20 - -
21 - -
22 -------A14 14RD/WT--------------FUSED B(+)
23 -------K22 18OR/DB--------------THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
24 - -
25 - -
26 - -
27 - -
28 - -
29 - -
30 - -
31 ------Z12 14BK/TN--------------GROUND
32 ------Z12 14BK/TN--------------GROUND

The way I see it, it's a safety switch preventing you from starting the truck if the switch is constantly open not in PARK/NEUTRAL position.

I believe the switch should be connected to (GND) in park or neutral position.

Ok, if it is the NSS the switch is an open and closed circuit I assume.

"The switch connector has three terminals and wires. 
The White wire is a power wire from the #3 (Back-up light) fuse. 

The Violet/Black wire is the output to the back-up lights and is hot when the switch is closed. (in reverse)
The Brown/Yellow wire is the ground circuit from the Starter Relay. When the switch/circuit is open there is no ground for the relay, hence, no start. 
When the switch is closed (in park or neutral) the circuit & relay is grounded thru the switch - to the trans. case."    -JDancoe, posted in the TDR.

My question to you is if the relay has no ground to start does this mean it wont crank over or does it mean it will crank but wont start? Mine cranks, but wont fire up.

3 hours ago, mopar440cu said:

My question to you is if the relay has no ground to start does this mean it wont crank over or does it mean it will crank but wont start? Mine cranks, but wont fire up.

You're right the switch is only preventing starter motor cranking.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:01 PM, Chris O. said:

Key fob programming available in CTM menu, currently the beta software does not auto detect CTM version.

You can only do this on High-line and Premium-line CTM version, if your truck has overhead console then it should be equipped with either High-line CTM or Premium-line CTM version.

Three versions of the Central Timer Module (CTM) are available:
 Base version (CTM)~(No connection to CCD BUS)
 High-line version (CTM) and Premium-line version (CTM)~(heated seats option).

https://mopar1973man.com/files/file/155-chrysler_ccd_beta_013inoinohex/

yep it works good.  I programmed my keyless again.  

• 2 years later...

I know this is a loonnngggggg shot in the dark but. . .I am fairly certain this is the same problem I am having and I am wondering what the resolution was.  

I have an active thread on the forum btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem going on with 2 of my trucks (an 01 and 02) had to buy another (2000) cummins to continue working, getting desperate and waiting money now

I'm sitting on 2 ecms and 2 pcms and 2 vp44s (1 new each and 1 known good each) for this no start issues, then after reading this forum got both trucks to start with unplugging either c1 or c3 from pcm

If both are plugged in it doesnt start or instantly dies if plugged in while running

Was also wondering if yall found the exact reasoning/fix for this would be very appreciative , just need to know what to do

On a side note on my wrecked 01 I was able to mix and match all 3 new and old ecm and pcms and it started and ran, same with 4 differant vp44s, through lots of trial and error they are at least known good

Find the light green / black wire on the connector that goes to engine harness it's near the center by where the vacuum lines tee off. Back probe or pierce it with a voltmeter or test light even better. It should have 12 volts with key on. Then plug in PCM if the voltage drops out then it's  loading it down. The ltgn/ bk wire goes through a fuse on the side of dash. I had a truck that a mouse chewed the wire behind the clutch pedal.  The red/ white wire is always hot check it the same way.