• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lockup switch curiosity

I have a fairly good idea of how the lockup switch works.  I am curious though, if you install a switch but don't have the switch on, will the converter lock/unlock like normal?  Do you have to control it 100% of the time if you install the switch?  I'm not really sure I need or want to do it, these are just questions I keep asking myself every time I see a post related to it. 

33 minutes ago, Sycostang67 said:

That's good to know, so do you basically use it to assist with braking then?  I guess the switch would be better for the guys who use it for racing.  I assume if you left it locked while stopping it would stall the truck?

I use it mostly when towing or hauling. You know when it unlocks to down shift and the truck seems to fall on it's face? I activate it and step on the skinny pedal and the truck just pulls and won't down shift. I have the power to get moving without dropping a gear and the switch allows you that control, as long as you have a trans. that can handle it.

If you have an exhaust brake it also aid in stopping.

• Like 1

That makes sense, I don't tow too often, but when I do it's usually on the heavy side, I can see how the lockup would come in handy.  It's nice to know everything else would remain normal the rest of the time as well.  I may swing by the shop that built my transmission and see what they think about me doing that.  I still have 98k miles of warranty left, don't want to ruin that.  It may be something worth doing to my truck after all. 

• Staff

I've installed a manual lockup system in my truck and JAG1's truck.   It uses a momentary switch that is install in the shifter to activate a set of relays that ground the convertor lockup solenoid.  The lockup can be turned off by either pushing the momentary switch again or stepping on the brake peddle. 

When going down a long or steep grade a locked-up torque converter helps in slowing although without the added benefit of an exhaust brake.  A foot switch is incorporated in the system that locks up the convertor which will stay locked until the switch is pressed again so stepping on the brake peddle will not disengage the lockup.    

When the torque converter is locked up with either momentary or foot switch an LED light on the dash is lit so there is no doubt if the manual lockup override is on or off. 

• Like 2

I’m also curious about your setup @IBMobile. I’m new to 2nd gen, and am getting used to the stock feel before Mods. I would like to start out with an indicator light to show when lock up is engaged to make it easier to “Feel the old girl up” ??? 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the write up @IBMobile. I run a momentary foot switch and it does exactly the same as what’s mentioned. I got the idea from someone else on here and it accomplishes the same as IBM’s without the need to be as smart as him! Haha Although his is much more thought out and is probably more ideal, I preferred only soldering one wire though hahah!!

• Staff

He is smart... he uses a wire harness out of a Volvo. And then while installing I saw him searching thru a bunch of wire in the steering column. He even had a Dodge automatic trans shift lever ready to go with a push button switch installed near the end like it is factory. :USflag:

• Like 1