• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally install airbags.

The_Hammer

On 12/27/2017 at 10:49 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Any update on your project?

Current setup is working great. I still need to install the top plates but I’ve been busy getting things ready for the new RV. Looks like I’m going to be installing a 5th wheel since our original RV choice has changed.

https://www.funtownrv.com/product/new-2018-heartland-sundance-2890cc-767722-5

5 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

Current setup is working great. I still need to install the top plates but I’ve been busy getting things ready for the new RV. Looks like I’m going to be installing a 5th wheel since our original RV choice has changed.

https://www.funtownrv.com/product/new-2018-heartland-sundance-2890cc-767722-5

You probably already now.

Not sure of what pin weight you'll end up at but most 5th wheels are over 20 percent of gross. Many reach 25 %.  That weight might come into play with what you are planning to do with springs.

I've pulled bumper trailers and Gooseneck trailers the difference is worth it, can't go wrong with a gooseneck/5th wheel. I'm a fan of a gooseneck, because it doesn't take all the room like fifth-wheel does, and you don't have to man handle it if you want to clean your bed out, but I haven't seen too many campers that use a gooseneck vs. 5th wheel. There must be a reason behind it, I'm just too lazy to look it up. Someday when I talk my wife into owning a camper I'm sure I'll learn it all.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I've pulled bumper trailers and Gooseneck trailers the difference is worth it, can't go wrong with a gooseneck/5th wheel. I'm a fan of a gooseneck, because it doesn't take all the room like fifth-wheel does, and you don't have to man handle it if you want to clean your bed out, but I haven't seen too many campers that use a gooseneck vs. 5th wheel. There must be a reason behind it, I'm just too lazy to look it up. Someday when I talk my wife into owning a camper I'm sure I'll learn it all.

Most 5er are 5th wheel due to the simple fact that they are easier to hook up for most people. 

5th wheels also don't generally leave the flat smooth surfaces of a paved road, which means they don't need the atriculation that a GN can provide when on back roads, ranches, gravel pits, etc. 

GN/5th wheel sure to tow nice, but the tugging feeling in the small of your back takes some getting used to. It makes the truck feel weird when you hit bumps and rough road. 

13 hours ago, 015point9 said:

You probably already now.

Not sure of what pin weight you'll end up at but most 5th wheels are over 20 percent of gross. Many reach 25 %.  That weight might come into play with what you are planning to do with springs.

The airbags are rated for 5k lbs and the hitch weight for the RV we’re looking at is ~2100 so it should be ok. When I replace the springs I’ll go with a standard 3/4 ton pack without an overload.

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I’m also not sure what the deal is with 5th wheel vs gooseneck hitches. 

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Most 5er are 5th wheel due to the simple fact that they are easier to hook up for most people. 

5th wheels also don't generally leave the flat smooth surfaces of a paved road, which means they don't need the atriculation that a GN can provide when on back roads, ranches, gravel pits, etc. 

GN/5th wheel sure to tow nice, but the tugging feeling in the small of your back takes some getting used to. It makes the truck feel weird when you hit bumps and rough road. 

I’ve towed a 40’ gooseneck lowboy around a LOT with my friend’s F450 so I’m use to that tuggung feeling now.

We won’t be doing any traveling with this camper right now as we’re ready to finally be back home on our property at the river. 

Edited by The_Hammer

• Staff
53 minutes ago, The_Hammer said:

We won’t be doing any traveling with this camper right now as we’re ready to finally be back home on our property at the river. 

Some nice pictures would help us all understand the river thing a whole lot more! :thumb1:

• Like 2

If your deal isn't sealed yet and your still working out your deal...

I looked at "dealers" info that you linked. From that was able to get Spec sheet by vin number.  https://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna-ssl.com/funtownrv/unit_spec_sheet/unit_spec_sheet_201708310237269358370445.pdf?modified=0831201714372693

If you are bargaining with dealer and they won't come down anymore... see if they'll will throw in 5th wheel hitch and second A/C,  (it is already "prepped" for it, according to spec on vin number) and spare tire, as the spare tire carrier should already be there. 

W/D option is great...Wish we had the option of W/D on ours.

20 hours ago, 015point9 said:

If your deal isn't sealed yet and your still working out your deal...

I looked at "dealers" info that you linked. From that was able to get Spec sheet by vin number.  https://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna-ssl.com/funtownrv/unit_spec_sheet/unit_spec_sheet_201708310237269358370445.pdf?modified=0831201714372693

If you are bargaining with dealer and they won't come down anymore... see if they'll will throw in 5th wheel hitch and second A/C,  (it is already "prepped" for it, according to spec on vin number) and spare tire, as the spare tire carrier should already be there. 

W/D option is great...Wish we had the option of W/D on ours.

Nothing is set in stone at this point and any advise is greatly appreciated! I am completely new to the world of RVs and can use all the help I can get lol.

The rv forums have lots of info in their "getting started" sections that will help.  My advice..

1.don't fall in love with all the marketing glitz.

2. Hang on to your wallet when wife starts opening up cabinets to see how her stuff will fit.

Download a detailed "rv pre delivery checklist" from internet and print out and use it before you take delivery.  RV's totally different than auto"s when service is needed after the sale.  Good rv dealers are hard to find but worth a lot after the sale.  

Imo you are on cuss line of 3/4 ton and 1 ton.  That is why I brought up springs in above post.  

22 hours ago, 015point9 said:

The rv forums have lots of info in their "getting started" sections that will help.  My advice..

1.don't fall in love with all the marketing glitz.

2. Hang on to your wallet when wife starts opening up cabinets to see how her stuff will fit.

Is there any particular RV forum that you would recommend?

The marketing stuff doesn’t work on me. I’m more of a “show me the details” rather than a “oh shiny! I’ll take it!” kind of person lol.

I have a 12’x20’ Morgan building that is used as a workshop and storage building. There are a lot of things that will be kept in it rather than in the RV. Luckily my fiancé doesn’t have a massive wardrobe and shoe collection either lol.

Download a detailed "rv pre delivery checklist" from internet and print out and use it before you take delivery.  RV's totally different than auto"s when service is needed after the sale.  Good rv dealers are hard to find but worth a lot after the sale.

I hadn’t thought of that, thanks!

That seems to be the single biggest issue with buying an RV that I’ve found, crappy service from the dealer. All the ones in my area seem to be hit or miss according to the reviews I’ve seen so I definitely want to make sure everything is right before I leave the lot with it.

Imo you are on cuss line of 3/4 ton and 1 ton.  That is why I brought up springs in above post.  

I’m going to use 3/4 ton springs and let the airbags take care of the rest. The  tongue weight of this particular RV is ~2k lbs and the airbags are rated for 5k lbs so it should be ok. We also won’t be hauling it all over the country or anything. 

This is looking down my driveway, that’s my shop on the right. 

8871F21C-8F58-46DF-B392-A94A1CEBEAF3.jpeg.4bf58bec5865d6a6395b89d384793524.jpeg

This is looking to the right of the driveway towards the river.

6C75750A-105B-4638-BFA7-3BD00C645A97.jpeg.313dd32eb1cb342c7ab5ca67c84093c0.jpeg

This is looking back down the driveway, my dad’s house is on the left. We live at the dead end of the road.

045072A1-5A5E-49DF-BB48-028054254E9B.jpeg.3b1368475e6c2ac00126ff49ad363314.jpeg

This is looking up towards my neighbor’s house. That’s the back way out of River Valley that I have mentioned before. 

5AC5D952-CD2D-4163-97E4-F22A8A6FD5B2.jpeg.4fa0555c1fd09fb60459eed42408b132.jpeg

Obviously this is behind the cabin next to the river lol.

0589F1CC-E543-4F25-B65C-836D171D6673.jpeg.b264bfc3048bbe3fd394ac56176a2e51.jpeg

The river is actually about 40’ straight down from the top of the bank.

D513DD57-BBD6-44E0-A935-A0037F6EE545.jpeg.5036660db2579061e3bd282d1ae89279.jpeg

The pin is where the cabin is.

BF0E63BC-841E-45C3-8CF7-4ECB0A976041.png.153d162d07209731a60c08a5bdaf8e15.png

Hopefully this will give y’all a better understanding of things. There is ZERO chance of a flash flood and we have 3 or so days advance notice before the main road floods.

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 2