• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re Overdrive discussion

What is the tune you are running on the Quadzilla,  that will indirectly effect when the trans shifts based on how much TPS input you are moving at a given condition.  

Your large tires are creating excess load resulting in heavier throttle, which results in more TPS to move down the road and later shift points. 

Making your tune more aggressive will help, but it is a bandaid fix rather than a solution.   

• Staff

When you let off the throttle you’re getting below the threshold of TPS for that TOS, so it shifts. 

Yes load increases for a given TPS, which generally means that you use less TPS for the same acceleration. Lower TPS means a sooner 3-4 shift. 

While I can’t see the tables for earlier than 04.5 your transmission is doing exactly i what would expect for your current tuning and tire combo. 

Is there anything in quad that lets you adjust the fuel at a given TPS?

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Your large tires are creating excess load resulting in heavier throttle, which results in more TPS to move down the road and later shift points. 

Making your tune more aggressive will help, but it is a bandaid fix rather than a solution.   

I agree on the tires and the standard TPS table, but I’m not sure it’s a bandaid... at least with current tuning options. If the pre 04.5 trucks ever get trans tuning then it could be a real fix, but until then adjusting fuel:TPS is as good as it will likely get from a tuning standpoint. Mechanically 4:10’s would do wonders :-) 

We dont get trans tuning, nor will we have it ever, as that is part of the PCM and not the ECM for us.  The PCM will never be open to tuning lol.  I am guessing the early cr trucks use a PCM as well, which is why there is no trans tuning for them either.

The quadzilla will indirectly allow this shift to happen sooner if you increasing your fueling % in that boost range.  Increasing the % of fueling at a given PSI will make it so you need less tps movement to move down the road at the same conditions as before.   IE if you are at cruise at 3 psi and you increase your 3 psi fueling % by 2-5% then you will notice earlier shifts during those conditions.  

This will however result in overfueling in some situtations.   My guess is you wil fix the shifting issue and break something else.  It might be worth it, it might not. 

You could also try bigger injectors, that iwll have the same effect as increasing your fueling via tuning.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

What is the tune you are running on the Quadzilla,  that will indirectly effect when the trans shifts based on how much TPS input you are moving at a given condition.  

This is my tune parameters. I have a HX35 4" straight pipe, k&n cold air on it currently. I just got DAP 7x0010 SAC injectors I'm just waiting on time to put in. 

IMG_6812.PNG

IMG_6813.PNG

IMG_6814.PNG

IMG_6815.PNG

IMG_6816.PNG

IMG_6817.PNG

6 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

make your 3k timing settings 27* and your max 30*

You cna try adding %5-%10 across the board, that should solve the shift issue, but you are really limiting the resolution of your throttle pedal. 

Will the 27 degrees be safe without studs? I don't get up that high in rpm much anyways because of the stock trans. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I have max fuel @ 10psi now? My problem is the 3-4 shift doesn't happen untill 57mph when just putting around barely touching the throttle. From memory watching the gauges at 70mph highway I only see 20-25% tps and 30-35% load. I haven't driven the truck today to check so I figure at 50mph when I'm waiting for the shift to happen it's more around 15-20% tps. It shifts good getting on it. It's when I'm barely touching the throttle it won't shift 3-4.

• Staff
45 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most likely going create a loss. (Negative torque) with that high of timing. Not being able to see your signature and what you've got for truck makes it hard to tell. I'm going to suggestyou see what @Me78569 has to say being he's the Quadzilla guru.

He turned up the fuel, not the timing. 

• Owner
On 12/30/2017 at 8:48 PM, Kodiak24V said:

make your 3k timing settings 27* and your max 30*

On 12/30/2017 at 8:48 PM, Kodiak24V said:

Will the 27 degrees be safe without studs?

He asking if you can reach 27 at 3K and 30* MAX timing. Not knowing the engine setup I'm not sure it would be a safe setup.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

He asking if you can reach 27 at 3K and 30* MAX timing. Not knowing the engine setup I'm not sure it would be a safe setup.

More coffee. It looked like you were responding to his post this morning. 

Yeah 27° seems like a lot for no studs, but that is at 3K rpms where it's needed and start of ignition won't be anywhere near that high. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most likely going create a loss. (Negative torque) with that high of timing. Not being able to see your signature and what you've got for truck makes it hard to tell. I'm going to suggestyou see what @Me78569 has to say being he's the Quadzilla guru.

You can't see my mods? I filled out the signature thing. How do I fix that?

• 6 months later...
On January 2, 2018 at 7:08 AM, Kodiak24V said:

I turned the fueling up to max across the board. It's shifting @ 48-50mph. Seems to have worked. Thank you guys for the help. Hopefully this helps someone searching.

This was a good read.I have the same exact issue with my 98 12 valve/47re.

I was thinking With bigger injectors I could 

fix the problem. I figured there is to much throttle valve tension but with more fueling

it would fix my issue.

I tried adjusting my TV cable and if I remember right it helped on the lowering my 3-4 shift speed but it also made my 1-2, 2-3 shift to low as well. 

I heard you can mess the trany up that way so I put it back to where it was and I just let off the throttle at 57mph to get it to shift into forth but it's annoying.

My tires are 285/70/17's. 

Was going to check my tp sensor as well. 

I wonder if uping the line pressure would help as well? That way you wouldn't have to give it as much throttle to make it shift maybe? I don't think the 47RE is as bad as it's made out to be. Just needs to be set up right. 

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Best suggestion is get ahold of @Dynamic he would know about the set up for your condition.

Cool thanks. After I posted I read up on the 47RE line pressure. You can up the line pressure simply by turning a screw out under the pan. Need to be careful on an older trans because old seals may not be able to take the pressure.

Also there is some very interesting info on what type of ATF to use. ATF+4 is said by many to be to slippery. Dextron 3 is supposed to be better. And if not in cold climates some use hydraulic fluid that is like a " shift kit in a bottle". Lol

I actually switched mine to DEX3 a while back and it seems fine you need to pump out the old fluid because the fluids don't mix well. 

• Owner
51 minutes ago, BIG-BLACK-DODGE said:

Also there is some very interesting info on what type of ATF to use. ATF+4 is said by many to be to slippery. Dextron 3 is supposed to be better. And if not in cold climates some use hydraulic fluid that is like a " shift kit in a bottle". Lol

I actually switched mine to DEX3 a while back and it seems fine you need to pump out the old fluid because the fluids don't mix well. 

Again talk to @Dynamic about the fluid and the requirements of the mods before doing a fluid type change.