• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crappy Weekend

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

That is being very honest. Got home from Saturday's run to dialysis with MoparMom and it was snowing on our way home. Not bad but glad to be home for the weekend. Got up Sunday morning sat around working the website thought I'll jump in the shower and get started today. About 5 minutes into my shower the water started backing up. Oh No! So I jump out and grab the plunger and give it couple good hits and the black soup came back up another not good sign. So I got dressed and started calling around and found a company that does drain cleaning. Come to find out he's in the southern part of the state doing another job. He said Monday at noon. Monday at 11am I'm calling to verify with him and find out he's stuck in a traffic accident and the highway is closed. So he shows up at 3pm and gets started. Well found out the big problem is the drain lines had over 54 years of grease build up. The main lines were necked down rather small. After 3 hours of power washing my drain lines they are clean now and flowing good water. $750 bill for this adventure. So between not being able to wash dishes, clothes, flush a toilet its been a rather crappy weekend. :rolleyes:

• Owner

I've got one 25 foot. I needed over 150 foot of snake for this problem. Not to mention as I learned today that a snake can be quite damaging too. If you have old clay pipes the snake has been known to rip them apart. Modern ABS plastic or cast iron your pretty safe. I remember we had some old clay pipe but wasn't sure if any was still left in the system when the septic rebuild occurred. Not to mention the high-pressure wash that ASAP used to power wash out the drain pipe used a Hotsy pump that raised the water pressure up so much it actually heated the water and made it capable of cutting through all the grease in the pipes. Something a snake can't do. He was also smart enough to put a camera down first and verify what he's chasing. Again after seeing the camera and it constantly pushing along a wad of old grease we gave up after only 15 or so feet it was just too bad to even see. After he was done power washing the lines 50 foot down the main line, not a problem it was clean as it could get. The power washer flaked off a lot of old rust scale. So we need to use lots of water to push that debris out.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

best pipe ever was a tar paper wrap deal I tore it up with a snake spent two days on a shovel and replaced over a hundred feet of sewer line on not just our rent house but some other guys house that our line ran into to hit the street all in 30 degree and lower temps gotta love the 40S and their interesting plumbing moves :whistle2::doh:

Something to be aware of if replacing any underground pipe with PVC is there are 2 different kinds. One is solid PVC and the other is Foam Core PVP. The foam core is good for sound reduction of the water passing thru from one floor,to another. Many home stores stock it and you have to look at it close to see it. It is labeled but look close when buying. The foam core only has two thin layers of PVC over a foam core and looks just like solid PVC from the outside. I don't think the foam core will hold up to aggressive drain snakes as the solid will and the cost difference is neglegiable.

Also Mike very sorry to hear about your troubles. All my sewer problems seem to happen on Sunday as I am preparing to head back to work.

Edited by dripley

13 hours ago, outlaw7 said:

best pipe ever was a tar paper wrap deal

Had that at my old house, (orangeberg) ended up pipe bursting it with new poly line. Knew people with backhoe and pipe bursting eqipment still payed 3500 as no one works for free, had to do concrete patches and hall dirt and rock then concrete so it wasnt that bad considering the labor involved. That was almost 100f of pipe too. That poly they pulled is some thick stuff.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Thank Gawd for putting away small nest egg for this repair.

Don't say "nest egg".  Dripley will think it's his.

My neighbor had a sewer backup the other day.  He called the plumber out and the plumber did an inspection of the drain line with a camera. 

The plumber told my neighbor that he had found the problem.  "There's a crack in the clay drain pipe and some roots are starting to get in causing a bunch of condoms to get hung on them slowing the flow".

"Condoms"! my neighbor exclaimed.  "I never use them so who's flushing them down the drain"? 

I think  his wife, Lucy, had some explaining to do. 

• Haha 3

• Staff

Well I'm back in action again....going to build a nice small home out in the rural county with a new septic system. Unfortunatly the new drainfield has to go to an upper pasture and be pumped. It will have an alarm by code if there's a malfunction.

I get real crabby when I see cheap az pipe getting buried underground. We'll be cruising with nothing but all the good stuff including the rain drain system..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, outlaw7 said:

YES Diesel future orangeberg thaats the stuff god what deal huh?

Yeah somebody bright thought It lasts forever, which it does hold up but it starts to separate and blister. I got off fairly easy at 3500, I seen bills go as high as 6000- 8000 if it was complicated, clay tile is much better if it's done right, but obviously new poly or PVC is the way to go. Then it's like a water slide nothing can grab on.

• Staff

I worked on a newer McMansion that had the raindrains higher in the ground than the crawl space drain. They were connected together so Guess where all those Oregon rains drained and the owners kept sayin, "we have a mold problem for some reason".:think:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1