• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dually suggestions

hex0rz

• Staff
5 hours ago, hex0rz said:

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/1997-dodge-cummins/6543405433.html

Anyone know much about the 12v? What do i need to know about these years?

my 12 was a 92 I drove for over 20 yrs. Generally if they run down the road nice they stay that way. can't say about the trans except have Dynamic look at it. The price is very honest on this one and leaves room to build it the way you like even tho trans may be at its end. I would put new wheels on it. some better mirrors things like that. I do want to say that even tho these 12s have a mechanical L/P, it still needs a fuel pressure gauge because the new mech. factory lift pumps are garbage.

About the trans.... almost better to have an automatic at this point with the price since you have dynamic so close, I got my 5 spd rebuilt and it was garbage. They really took me to the cleaners, turned the pockets inside out to see if anything left.

BASICALLY........I say this is the one, but don't wait too long to check it over real good. Remember to remove the intake tube and look how clean inside and check turbo bearings for play. Side play bad, end to end play okay if only a little.

Edited by JAG1

I'll give the guy a call. In going to offer 5k for it. If its decent shape. Its beat up looking and will need some extra love. But it's only going to be my bee truck in the end and i need it for a job. Its already got a nice flatbed which looks like a 10 footer also. 

Im still going to scrutinize it as money is money. I know about all the things to look for in a 24v style truck, but didn't know what differences there were when it came to this truck and what other types of potential fatal flaws they may possess. Although, a Google search essentially came up with the same things a 24v would have:

1. 53 block

2. KDP

It also appears that gaining HP is allot easier to do without buying much of anything. More modifying than anything else. Its got a low enough price range that i could even consider doing a manual conversion. 

I have ALLOT of good diesel places near me that i can use for resources. Diesel power products, alligator performance, some older reputable general diesel shops and possibly dynamic. 

Anywho, ill check back in with y'all and let you know what becomes of all this. 

• Like 1

• Staff
7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I believe a little side to side is ok, in and out is a no no.

You might be right on that as I just cannot remember for certain. I know its important that there is no side to side play that allows rubbing of the fins anyway. Thanks for that Dieselfuture.

A little beat looking is good. you get to see how it was treated. not all covered up. Anyhow the miles are great on it too.:thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

You might be right on that as I just cannot remember for certain. I know its important that there is no side to side play that allows rubbing of the fins anyway. Thanks for that Dieselfuture.

In and out play is thrust bearing wear, and side to side is bushing/bearing wear. Both with excessive play will make turbine hit housing and chew up seals. But my brand new/rebuild turbo had side to side play as much as the one I took off the truck, which leads me to believe the one I took off is still in great shape. Nether one has in and out play. 

You're welcome, that's what we're all here for.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hex0rz said:

I have ALLOT of good diesel places near me that i can use for resources. Diesel power products, alligator performance, some older reputable general diesel shops and possibly dynamic. 

Diesel Power Products for the win! Those guys are great. I do a lot of work for/with them. Cooper, Bryan, Ben, Tyler...all great guys. And don't forget Lenny over at Dynomite Diesel. Another really good guy there, and an injector guru...

Give me a call if you need anything from me...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the last truck i posted about, the guy wouldn't take a cashiers check. Its gone...

So back to the search function...

https://pullman.craigslist.org/cto/d/97-dodge-12-valve-diesel-3500/6551204378.html

^Was gonna offer 8k.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/96-dodge-cummins-12-valve-5/6513614320.html

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-dodge-3500-quad-cab-4wd/6554331790.html

^ offered 4k.

Edited by hex0rz

Finding a decent truck in the Spokane area is a painful experience. Pretty much everything you find is absolutely beat to crap, to put it lightly. When I bought my last truck, I ended up finding it in California, flying down there and driving it home. I'm very glad I did...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Nothin wrong with a 12V. Definition of old reliable. Biggest thing that kept me away was non-opening rear doors and the rust issues most had around here due to age. Price seems a bit high to me for a single cab but if it's extremely clean, and rust free.................