• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Everyone post a picture of your truck!

Im not 100% convinced that its just sunshine.  My 99 just started doing it on the roof about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago & when I washed it last weekend, there is a spot on the hood that is now doing it.  

My truck has been in the sun every day since 1999.  I live in San Diego................ 2 clouds in a row constitutes a "weather event".  ROFLOL. 

I dont know for certain, I have not been that interested to look into it................... but, my understanding is that mid to late 90's is when most of the mfg's went over to a water based pain with a different kind of clear coat.  based on what Ive observed, this is a clear coat issue.  Ive always wanted to sand down the clear coat & spray it with something good to test my theory, but ........ that ship has sailed @ this point.  LOL.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with sunlight

You reckon? My son that that does vinyl wraps on almost any thing says they give no warranty on finishes on horizontal surfaces for that very reason. 

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

Im not 100% convinced that its just sunshine.  My 99 just started doing it on the roof about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago & when I washed it last weekend, there is a spot on the hood that is now doing it.  

My truck has been in the sun every day since 1999.  I live in San Diego................ 2 clouds in a row constitutes a "weather event".  ROFLOL. 

I dont know for certain, I have not been that interested to look into it................... but, my understanding is that mid to late 90's is when most of the mfg's went over to a water based pain with a different kind of clear coat.  based on what Ive observed, this is a clear coat issue.  Ive always wanted to sand down the clear coat & spray it with something good to test my theory, but ........ that ship has sailed @ this point.  LOL.  

I wet sanded the roof a while back a rattled canned some some clear coat on. Looked great for about a month then went hell. Don't think I sanded all of it off plus I used Dupli color clear coat.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

Kind of like my perspective... 750 miles a week in the saddle. Little more lived in look being each day I roll its 13 hours in the saddle. Garmin 42LM, Cobra Radar detector, Gooseneck stand for the cellphone with USB charger and audio hook up for hands-free use. Exhaust brake switch on the stick that way the center pedal doesn't get used. 3 toggle switch up top is fog lights, reverse lights and my emergency red lights hidden behind my mirror. Yeah still got the broken windshield... I've gotta get it fix this spring. 20180330_180605_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, dripley said:

I wet sanded the roof a while back a rattled canned some some clear coat on. Looked great for about a month then went hell. Don't think I sanded all of it off plus I used Dupli color clear coat.

I tried the aerosol stuff on a different project & it did not work worth a beans.  Like you said, good for a minute, then it goes to pot.

You guys need to make friends that have body shops.  

Theyll give you their “old” (old to them) paint.  

The neighbor has $$$$$ in paint because of this.  

The water based I thought was a newer deal than the 90s. 

The neighbor has explained the differences to me vs 2 stage but I forget.  I think I ask him every time. Lol

i think the big one is that water based has a greater chance to orange peel.  I think.  

Neighbor has used a lot of it rebuilding dump trucks. 

I miss this interior shot the most. From my old truck.  

C724044F-C277-42E8-A6F6-0E0D179E92B7.jpeg.36d0b4708ae0c745af66eb1ca9d1c247.jpeg

• Staff
1 hour ago, dripley said:

I used Dupli color clear coat.

That's the problem!  You should have used the best--Krylon--No drips, No runs, No errors.  It would have lasted twice as long.   :whistle:

3 hours ago, Bobalos said:

My 99 just started doing it on the roof about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago & when I washed it last weekend, there is a spot on the hood that is now doing it.  

My 2000 roof started about the same time but the hood is still good.  I live about 30 minuets north of Bobalos and if it's going to rain 1/4 " here they call for a storm watch.  5abee1819cec2_t1190141.gif.ee3b91de2c08f4f3a749468421bdb3ca.gif

I saw a truck with the same paint combo as mine but with the roof painted gloss black.  It didn't look bad at all.

You can always do what JAG1 did to his hood and have it Rhino Lined®.  It doesn't look bad and you don't have to wax it. 

• Like 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

@Mopar1973Man need to add some more to options

:lmao: @MoparMom calls it my cockpit. What is totally strange after driving for those many hours each day and listening to that HX40 compressor it starts to sound like a mini jet engine. I'm truly comfortable and still handle website business while I travel for the most part. It great to be able to answer the phone and send text messages without ever touching or even looking at the phone. Even my text messages are read aloud through the stereo.

I might own 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 but it sure got the power like 2017 Ram 2500 and all the cab toyz as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:lmao: @MoparMom calls it my cockpit. What is totally strange after driving for those many hours each day and listening to that HX40 compressor it starts to sound like a mini jet engine. I'm truly comfortable and still handle website business while I travel for the most part. It great to be able to answer the phone and send text messages without ever touching or even looking at the phone. Even my text messages are read aloud through the stereo.

I might own 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 but it sure got the power like 2017 Ram 2500 and all the cab toyz as well.

Most likely better power. 

How are your seats holding up with those miles? Have you done any upgrades at all?

• Owner
Just now, Ben said:

How are your seats holding up with those miles?

Driver seat is looking a bit beat up. Only one small tear in the fabric. Door panel is worn out from arm laying on the door arm rest.

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Have you done any upgrades at all?

Nope. Still all factory interior yet.

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Driver seat is looking a bit beat up. Only one small tear in the fabric. Door panel is worn out from arm laying on the door arm rest.

Nope. Still all factory interior yet.

Cool!!

When I was looking around at trucks (2006 and older) the one thing I noticed was that the 3rd gen seats break seem to break down a lot quicker. 

I drove a 2006 one ton with 120k and that seat was shot. Guy wasn't big either. 

Neighbor's 06 dually with 101k driver's seat was shot also. He's pretty handy so he ripped it apart and re-foamed it. 

That's why I was curios. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The new to me seats I just put in are nice but the drivers seat has that left side sag. I checked out your link and it says, will NOT work in quad cab.  I know the seat backs were different but did not realize the bottoms might be also. Anybody ever use one of these in their quad cab?

Upon looking further it says at the top it fits reg and ext cabs. The quad cab note is at the bottom

Edited by dripley