• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Choosing the right turbo

5 hours ago, trreed said:

I would start at 15 / 17 / 19 / 22 / 26 on your timing sliders.

Thank you ALL for your advice!!!

This is a whole new ball game to me, this computerized stuff. I am trying to read and learn everyday on it. So, like all motors timing is the worst enemy. I am going through all the tunes posted looking for a good tune for towing a 16' trailer. I dont think I am ready yet to make my own. LOL 

This is a newer offering from Borg Warner.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dap-screaming-eagle-sxe-fmw-2nd-gen-fit-57-65-14-t3-gated-hx40

One improved feature on the SXE S357 13749880014 is the compressor wheel: 57.1mm inducer and a smaller 76.2mm exducer so it has less rotating mass and can spool faster. The SXE S357 is a big upgrade from the 174430 with 57.1mm inducer and 83.4mm exducer compressor wheel that flows less at 61lbs/minute.

There is also a 57.1mm/ with 61mm turbine  that we sell that will support about 400HP (turbine limited) that will work with factory 5 bolt flange so those with an exhaust brake can finally upgrade to a better turbo than a hx35/40 hybrid.

• Thanks 3

• Owner
2 hours ago, dieselautopower said:

There is also a 57.1mm/ with 61mm turbine  that we sell that will support about 400HP (turbine limited) that will work with factory 5 bolt flange so those with an exhaust brake can finally upgrade to a better turbo than a hx35/40 hybrid.

:drool:

• Owner

My last fuel logs. 

may.png

A year later and I've got nearly 70k miles on my injectors.

So I'm thinking of sending in my stock injectors which are junk and have a set of 7 x 0.010 SAC injectors popped at 330 bar. @Me78569 suggestion... So I'm basically choosing a fuel injector to fit my turbo which is backwards ot the OP's post here. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Would you say with my 62/67/12 I should go with 7x10 also, or little bigger. My 75hp are OK but canbus is maxed out by 30psi or even sooner. With wire tap I'll hit 42 43 psi sometimes for some reason it will get to 45. I know my Turbo is not meant for anything over 40 psi but just for reference. Reason I like 7x10 option is just in case something happens to the quad I'll still be able to drive without too much smoke. Idk just one othem moments where I think I can benefit from bigger injectors with this turbo.@Mopar1973Man @Me78569

17 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

VCO it is... 

Ok what is a VCO please?

Another question for you.

How are you getting the numbers for the injectors? What I mean, for example, is what does a 7x10 injector come out to be? Is it a 110?

On 5/8/2018 at 9:01 AM, JDHudsn said:

@mopar440cu my best advice would be to borrow a calibrated torque wrench. I bought a Tekon off amazon to do the install. It’s was a POS. Both times I torqued my studs I did one at a time and stepped them up to spec. I can tell you after I did the sequence with the Tekon and came back with a Proto torque wrench and I was able to get a full turn on the first 4 studs and by that time the next few studs were only finger tight..... also after about a week or so of heat cycles I took the rockers off again and checked everything. If you do your work yourself it’s worth the extra step. Trust me I did a head gasket all myself. It’s a PITA

When you did yours I forgot to ask also did you machine the lower rocker arm cover at the No. 24 bolt hole location in the torque sequence to facilitate installation of the lower rocker arm cover? How did you do it?

I am pricing the studs now is why I ask.

VCO and SAC are different nozzle types.  VCO stands for Valve Covered Orifice.  SAC stands for something too.  VCO is stock style.  

The 7 x 0.010 number is the hole count in the nozzle, and 0.010 number is the orifice size in inches.  A 7 x 0.010 is roughly 150 HP.

For studs, no rocker arm modifications are needed for a 24v.  The modification you are referring to is to the common rail trucks, as they have a two piece rocker cover.  On our VP 24v trucks, some need a bit of clearancing on the #24 stud at the top of the valve cover, some do not.  Mine did not need it.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2018 at 9:01 AM, JDHudsn said:

@mopar440cu my best advice would be to borrow a calibrated torque wrench. I bought a Tekon off amazon to do the install. It’s was a POS. Both times I torqued my studs I did one at a time and stepped them up to spec. I can tell you after I did the sequence with the Tekon and came back with a Proto torque wrench and I was able to get a full turn on the first 4 studs and by that time the next few studs were only finger tight..... also after about a week or so of heat cycles I took the rockers off again and checked everything. If you do your work yourself it’s worth the extra step. Trust me I did a head gasket all myself. It’s a PITA

Dang it forgot to ask, what torque wrench do you recommend ? I have a new Tekon I used on my AMC360 rebuild which I had no problem to this day and its been a couple years.

2 minutes ago, trreed said:

VCO and SAC are different nozzle types.  VCO stands for Valve Covered Orifice.  SAC stands for something too.  VCO is stock style.  

The 7 x 0.010 number is the hole count in the nozzle, and 0.010 number is the orifice size in inches.  A 7 x 0.010 is roughly 150 HP.

For studs, no rocker arm modifications are needed for a 24v.  The modification you are referring to is to the common rail trucks, as they have a two piece rocker cover.  On our VP 24v trucks, some need a bit of clearancing on the #24 stud at the top of the valve cover, some do not.  Mine did not need it.  

Awesome!! Do you have any recommendations on studs, maybe ARP? Also whats a good torque wrench to do this with? I have a Tekon, but don't want to mess this up.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, dieselautopower said:

This is a newer offering from Borg Warner.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/dap-screaming-eagle-sxe-fmw-2nd-gen-fit-57-65-14-t3-gated-hx40

One improved feature on the SXE S357 13749880014 is the compressor wheel: 57.1mm inducer and a smaller 76.2mm exducer so it has less rotating mass and can spool faster. The SXE S357 is a big upgrade from the 174430 with 57.1mm inducer and 83.4mm exducer compressor wheel that flows less at 61lbs/minute.

Oh that’s naughty.  

Essentially a super b that accepts an exhaust brake.  

I loved the super b on my old truck. 

Great 400 rwhp charger that spooled yesterday. 

Tiny little fart but it moved air. 

Edited by Ben

1 hour ago, dieselautopower said:

Way more air than a 174430 old style super B.  It also has a smaller turbine wheel (61).  The new style super B or the SXE 57mm s300 I linked to earlier is good to 450-500HP.

:pant:

That is awesome!!!!!!!

i imagine the spool characteristics are similar.  

That would be a fantastic little bulletproof charger. 

20 hours ago, Me78569 said:

@Mopar1970man I'd stick with VCO personally.  

Why is that if you don’t mind me asking.  

Just curious as to why the preference.  

Edited by Ben