• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator rebuild kit

• Staff
50 minutes ago, dripley said:

The diode kit does not upgrade the amperage of the alternator. You need a new higher amp alternator to do that.

Mike said in his post above, that I couldn't install his diode kit and the high amp upgrade on my Denso alternator, he said it had to be one or the other. 

I just wanted clarification if that was correct or not.

I googled it and sure enough there high amp upgrades for the Denso. The one I saw was around $70 for the new stator and front cover. I just cant seem to link it. 

It seems to me with that and $55 for diodes then whatever for brushes bearings and such you would be pushing $175 plus your labor. I think I would just buy a new one.

Since I have shown electrically challenge arse enough, I think i will go back to my corner.:sofa:.

I had seen the diode kits at Larryb's .

I pulled my alt to have a Local Small business strictly alternator / starter shop check the diodes etc.

So I just let him replace the diode pack and brushes and re test. IIRC it was less than ordering fron LarryB's and  he also gave me a year guaranty

• Staff

I have the diode Bridge from 'Mopies Auto Parts'. Thats Michael Nelson, BTW, that owns this site. 

Just today I ordered the alternator rebuild kit from Genos Garage. I need to get my A/C noise level to acceptable levels now that I successfully replaced my VP44. It had a damaged PCU board, (error code 1688). Next I need to fully do the W-T grounding mods that are being reported a big benefit too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff

I started calling him that when I first programmed his phone into my contacts. Somehow Mopar Mike morphed into 'Mopies' while thinking about my visit there..... things was a little laid back, sort a like no measure of a clock nor time, living up in those mountains. :thumb1:

But he's the fastest VP changer in the west.

Edited by JAG1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 99_Cummins_4x4 said:

Mike said in his post above, that I couldn't install his diode kit and the high amp upgrade on my Denso alternator, he said it had to be one or the other. 

I just wanted clarification if that was correct or not.

I believe diodes are designed in amps or something like that, so if you use hi amp upgrade these diodes from store on this site may not be strong enough. They will work with stock Denso and not Bosch. Unless you really need more amps I would just replace diodes for now or buy a whole new alternator that's ready to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner
10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I believe diodes are designed in amps or something like that, so if you use hi amp upgrade these diodes from store on this site may not be strong enough. They will work with stock Denso and not Bosch. Unless you really need more amps I would just replace diodes for now or buy a whole new alternator that's ready to go. 

Hit the nail on the head. Stock alternator is only 140 Amps. Even at that its possible ot overheat stock diodes with extended grid heater usage. Now increase the size of the alternator and you'll burn out the stock diode pack quicker. 

I've been hunting for oversized diodes for a long time that in the 180 amp realm. I've even called Nations and few other attempting to buy just the high current diodes from upgrade alternator to solve the AC noise issue. So far the best I could do is stock 140 Amp diode at least so people could rebuild there own alternators at a fraction of buying a chain store alternator that might fail.

• Like 2