• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Airdog filters only?

• Staff

Interesting. I have read of 2 or 3 people having issues with the P551315. 

I wonder if the Cat 1R-0759 would work?

I also just noticed that the P551315 is now a 95% 5µ filter, instead of the 3µ absolute it used to be??? The P551313, should be same media, still reports 3µ.

Why didn't AD just use 1-14" threads!!!

I would try to find something other than Wix. They have crappy fuel filters for diesels. 

4 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Interesting. I have read of 2 or 3 people having issues with the P551315. 

I wonder if the Cat 1R-0759 would work?

I also just noticed that the P551315 is now a 95% 5µ filter, instead of the 3µ absolute it used to be??? The P551313, should be same media, still reports 3µ.

Why didn't AD just use 1-14" threads!!!

I would try to find something other than Wix. They have crappy fuel filters for diesels. 

Wix... I'm under impression AIR filters are good.  Any knowledge on their air products?

• Staff

Yes they seem to have OEM quality air filtration. There is even a fairly reliable rumor they make the MOPAR 4" filter for 03-07 5.9's. Of all the filters I've added and run on my truck the air filter is the stock 4", so that kinda covers my opinion on it :-)

38 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Yes they seem to have OEM quality air filtration. There is even a fairly reliable rumor they make the MOPAR 4" filter for 03-07 5.9's. Of all the filters I've added and run on my truck the air filter is the stock 4", so that kinda covers my opinion on it :-)

Thank you

The last 2 win air filters I bought did NOT have the foam piece that lays on top, just the actual filter itself.  I just rinsed out foam piece.  I call wix, they tech guy basically said they were getting blamed for "foreign" damage that they didn't feel was their problem.  My foam piece about 3 years old now, not going to re-use it any more.  

How could I test to make sure air is filtered?  I don't see any dust or crud in the tube leaving air box.  But want to be sure.  Can I rig up some kind of test to make sure...maybe pull filter box and duct tape a wet dry vac and see if air is getting in besides where air is supposed to enter at?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The turbo compressor wheel and intake tube are where you'll see contamination first. 

Ok thanks

Think I'll do a good cleaning then I'll know I'm starting clean for next service.

• Owner
On 5/24/2018 at 11:59 AM, 015point9 said:

How could I test to make sure air is filtered?

Spray the tube with WD-40 or silicone spray and then go for a drive in a dusty area. After a good amount of dusty roads and travel wipe the tube out with a clean white rag and see if any dirt comes out. 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:52 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

On a BHAF I've been known to drill a hole large enough to insert the filter minder in the head of the filter. The OEM filter minder was designed in inches of water column not inches of mercury. 

I was thinking about grilling a port in the intake elbow, and put in filter minder in there. That way you don't have to drill through a new filter every time and taking chances on small debris getting trapped inside the filter after drilling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

If you going to be oversizing the filters I highly suggest you cut them open and see the condition of the media after your normal run time. Like I'm still running the small (or tiny) AirDog filter but Donaldson like @AH64ID suggest but I'm finding that about 50k to 60k miles before the media is truly discolored. The stock filter pickup some debris but it takes a bit to get it dirty too. I was finding that at 15k miles like manufacture suggest my filters look like they were new out of the box yet. I kept doubling the mileage and cutting the filters open. So my change interval is 50k to 60k range. So far all them at that point are just discolored not BLACK. You can still see the color of the media yet. (Either white or yellow).

For something that big (physically) you might go well past 100k miles on filter changes. 

This is also based on if you getting clean fuel in the first place. If your getting cheap fuel or raiding farm fuel tank you might be in a different ball park.

• Like 1

Yea I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable putting that many miles through a filter exposed to the elements. The fass filters these replaced had only 8k on them but been on the truck over 2 years and were in terrible shape. Bunch of surface rust along the top of the filters and what not. 

Hopefully John can chime in on filter life expectancy but to me, if I’m changing filters every 2 years then that’s fine by me. 

• Owner
10 minutes ago, notlimah said:

The fass filters these replaced had only 8k on them

Cut them both open! Seriously, you'll learn something if you examine the filter media.

Like my water separator I've been rinsing out and re-using. The marking and paint is disappearing. Like my last filter, I cut open at 60k miles for the year and it was still "OK" the media color was still visible but darken heading towards black.

@notlimah I'm going to have to get me a set now, are you using them on fass 150 titanium? My original filters both have drain on them and I've had them on the truck for almost 3 years now I think 20k or so. Fuel pressure seems good, not sure if I'm going to change them yet. Not much rust ether on outside.