• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Tire Size found 235's to 245's

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If @Chris O. finishes his CCD Network tool we will have another tool that can calibrate the ABS speed.

That would be helpful. But really most shops can with there scanner so if your gonna run 37’s for the next 5 years at least you can throw em a few bucks to do it

21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Hankook ATm 245/75 R16 now.

Just looked them up and they made in china, and funny I went to store to get a sandwich and there was a truck with them on, about half tread and dry rot (didn't look at date) and says made in china right on them. 

I like the price but just not sure on trusting these. And I don't put a lot of miles on a year so dry rot may take over in few years. 

• Owner
1 hour ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

That would be helpful. But really most shops can with there scanner so if your gonna run 37’s for the next 5 years at least you can throw em a few bucks to do it

If you are near me I'm been known to bring out my CCD Network tool of @Chris O. I've been known to set tire sizes for people. I've got one of his BETA units. That how I changed from 265's to 235's then now to 245's tires and kept odometer accuracy. 

1 minute ago, Dieselfuture said:

ust looked them up and they made in china, and funny I went to store to get a sandwich and there was a truck with them on, about half tread and dry rot (didn't look at date) and says made in china right on them. 

I like the price but just not sure on trusting these. And I don't put a lot of miles on a year so dry rot may take over in few years. 

I've ran alot of China tires. Never have I had a blowout or sudden tire failure. I've even ran Black Lion tires which are China made as well. 235/85 R16 Load Range G's. (3,750 pound rating at 110 PSI)

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've ran alot of China tires. Never have I had a blowout or sudden tire failure. I've even ran Black Lion tires which are China made as well. 235/85 R16 Load Range G's. (3,750 pound rating at 110 PSI)

How may miles do you get out of them, and what rating is on your 245, easy to balance?

• Owner
27 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

How may miles do you get out of them, and what rating is on your 245, easy to balance?

About 60k to 65k on a set of Hankook ATm. Balanced out good not a lot of weight needed. 

245/75 R16 - Rated for 3,042 pounds at 80 PSI

235/85 R16 - Rated for 3,042 pounds at 80 PSI

note for those looking at tires. Michelin LTX MS2’s are the number 1 tire for trucks to have failures. I literally removed 20 full sets in a years time all with the same failure, the tread separates off the carcass. So if that’s something you looking at then keep looking.... if your into MT’s master craft MXT and even the AXTis a great tire. Made by cooper. Really all cooper tires are great, I’ve had great luck with them. Traction and noise are good, wears well if you take care of them etc. so warning on Michelin tires, walk away.... they also dry rot extremely fast. Offbrand house tires do well, the China knock off tires are much better then 10 years ago

• Thanks 1

Not an MT but my set of 285/75x16 Mastercraft Courser HXT's are not doing well at all. 20k miles on them and they are at 5/32's average. Had a small rock in the tread of one last week and it blew out as it was going flat. This is on the '01.

I am looking at Hercules AT tire now. We installed a set on the '91 this summer 235/85x16 OEM size. They are made in USA. I run a lot of China tires on my trailers with so so luck.

Guest 04Mach1

My 01 had right at 105k with original Michelin LTX tires. Date code was 0501. Anyhow I replaced them in 2014 due to thin tread with Firestone Destination A/T and ran those about 50k miles at 65 psi. I ended up with a railroad spike in the left front tire so the Firestone's got replaced with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 tires in 2017 and sold the remaining 3 FS's on Craigslist. So far about 25k miles on the BF Goodrich tires at 65 psi and tread still looking great. In case it's not known BF Goodrich is Michelin's tier 2 brand.

• Owner

20181012_083048_HDR.jpg

Boy talk about towing power. The new ratio with 245's is totally awesome. Even with all this and pushing 17,000 pounds total, I'm able to leave it in 5th gear most of the way home. EGT's are at least 100-150*F lower than previously climbing grades. With my current Quadzilla Tune left on level 3 (No wiretap) I can stand on the throttle till truck will not accelerate any longer and never cross 1,100*F EGT's. Coolant temperature with the 180*F thermostat will still climb quite well but nothing out of the normal where it climbs to about 210*F. Most of the trip home I left the cruise set for 60 MPH and only two grades I slowed down to 55 MPH because with the smaller tires 60 MPH in 4th gear is nearly 2,400 RPM so at 55 MPH it's like 2,200 RPM. In 4th gear it hovering like 1,000 to 1,100*F even on a 7% grade now. 

I'm for sure keeping this tire size!

On 10/4/2018 at 7:54 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Let say in all the miles I've driven I've never had a explosive tire failure. I've had flat tires but that is even rare.

Key is proper inflation pressure. Never inflate to max inflation and never buy marginal tires that require max inflation to carry the load.

It’s come and go, just out of the hundreds I’ve installed even with proper inflation etc there was a manufacture flaw with those tires.

looks good with a trailer!

• Owner
2 hours ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

It’s come and go, just out of the hundreds I’ve installed even with proper inflation etc there was a manufacture flaw with those tires.

ST tires don't mean to inflate to max pressure. Like my RV came with Load Range D's and max inflation was 65 PSI but I would only inflate to 60 PSI. Then I upgraded to Load Range E's max inflation is 80 PSI and now only inflate to 65 PSI. Even doing the math on Max Vehicle Weight Capacity of the RV I still only need 60 PSI to be safe. 

Image result for mopar1973man rv weight

Even on the truck and cars, I've never had an explosive failure. Yeah, I've ran over rocks and had big holes cut in the face of the tread. I've had sticks stabbed in the side wall. Not even once in my life have I had a tire violently explode. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff

Precisely!!

This is one of the published tables I use. I find they are all pretty much the same, and this one is fairly comprehensive, even if Toyo doesn't make the size such as my LT255/80R17. 

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

I also have never had an explosive failure, and luckily all of my rapid deflations have been below 10 mph. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner
On 7/5/2018 at 5:06 PM, AH64ID said:

If you spent more time at 75-85 on the interstate you would likely notice a decrease in fuel economy. 

Don't even see the interstate.

85 MPH is 2,400 RPM. 65 MPH is perfect 2,000 RPM. 55 MPH is 1,700 roughly. Even with the 235's or 265's interstate travel always pulled it down. One of the few reasons I had MoparMom moved from Boise to Ontario for treatment. It's cut my overall cost of operation considerably. So from my records, I was spending $740 a month in fuel running the I-84 interstate. Now keeping to the 2 lane US 95 highway and not driving interstate I'm as low as $384 in fuel a month. Speed is a HUGE factor. But the funny part is my lowest cost per mile is 12.6 cents per mile and the highest is 18.0 cents per mile (excluding towing) regardless of speed.

You'll top out in 4th sooner, but towing in 5th is easier. 

Only 5 MPH sooner. Not a drastic change. But yes, towing is way better. 

Downshift to to 4th at 60 and you'll see the same results with EGT, load, trans temp, exhaust brake performance, etc... but you'll actually be burning more fuel.

I don't have to downshift. Before I had to downshift every trip through the Council to Tamarack canyon. 5th was too tall and 4th is just about right. Now with the tires, I can leave it in 5th all the way. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:47 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm for sure keeping this tire size!

Ditto!  After almost 5,000 miles of driving with the 245's with various combined loads of 12,500 lbs to 16,500 lbs making several trips to Baker City and back, there is no way I'm going back to a larger diameter tire.  Some trips I used I-84, but most trips I used Hwy 26 with lots of mountain passes to climb and descend..

- John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

ST tires don't mean to inflate to max pressure. Like my RV came with Load Range D's and max inflation was 65 PSI but I would only inflate to 60 PSI. Then I upgraded to Load Range E's max inflation is 80 PSI and now only inflate to 65 PSI. Even doing the math on Max Vehicle Weight Capacity of the RV I still only need 60 PSI to be safe. 

Even on the truck and cars, I've never had an explosive failure. Yeah, I've ran over rocks and had big holes cut in the face of the tread. I've had sticks stabbed in the side wall. Not even once in my life have I had a tire violently explode. 

Here at our shop just before I started a employee was nearly severely injured and could have been killed by a tire he was mounting with a tire machine. I have friends in Pennsylvania that have had tractor tires blown in they’re faces. One case killed a 12 year old boy. Just proof that they can be deadly if not treated carefully.

I’m currently shopping around for new 3:55 axles for my truck. I’m thinking I’ll go with 245/75/17 tires and I’m curious if this is a good ratio? Final ratio would be 3:68. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I haven’t either, I use an inflation table of my own. Most of the tires that were coming apart were in the 45-60psi range. 80 is fully loaded max gross weight if you want good MPG. Every time load changes pressure should of course. Since we all don’t have on board air the general rule of thumb is 50psi for 8 lug trucks that are usually empty but have some light loads. 60psi for those with light to medium loads and 70psi plus for max GVW but there is lots of factors to it. I like 60 myself for my vehicles but most customers I do 50-55 so it doesn’t ride too hard for them.

5 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Here at our shop just before I started a employee was nearly severely injured and could have been killed by a tire he was mounting with a tire machine. I have friends in Pennsylvania that have had tractor tires blown in they’re faces. One case killed a 12 year old boy. Just proof that they can be deadly if not treated carefully.

I’m currently shopping around for new 3:55 axles for my truck. I’m thinking I’ll go with 245/75/17 tires and I’m curious if this is a good ratio? Final ratio would be 3:68. 

Yup it’s luck of the draw. I’ve had car tires explode too, belt shifts on inflation and a bubble forms and BOOM. Brand new too, not used or re-tread BS. I’d never run used or re-treads on anything. I’ve seen people buy used, drive about 20 miles to me and they ask why there is such a bad vibration and every tire had a bad belt. 

People dont change tires tires cause they feel like it, tires are removed and discarded because there is a flaw and there not safe. 1 out of 1000 is truly acceptable to be re-sold from used tire places but some people don’t care... small used tires run $40 around here but the same tire you can get a brand spankin new one for $70 with warranty installed as well. People just make poor choices... in an emergency I can see it but I’d never take that chance. Too many tire failures and too many lives at risk to save a dollar. Not that new can’t explode but it’s much less likely...just my $.02

• Like 1

• Owner
2 hours ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

People dont change tires tires cause they feel like it, tires are removed and discarded because there is a flaw and there not safe. 1 out of 1000 is truly acceptable to be re-sold from used tire places but some people don’t care... small used tires run $40 around here but the same tire you can get a brand spankin new one for $70 with warranty installed as well. People just make poor choices... in an emergency I can see it but I’d never take that chance. Too many tire failures and too many lives at risk to save a dollar. Not that new can’t explode but it’s much less likely...just my $.02

:iagree:

• Like 1