• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Tire Size found 235's to 245's

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Matter of fact that is my next move. I've got to get fresh rubber on my Cummins and the RV. I've also got a quick ratio steering box also. Hopefully by next weekend ill have the tires. This also prove optimal final ratio is near 3.73. This also prove that oversize tire look cool but make for way too low of a final ratio unless you already have 4.10 or high axle gears already.

Hi Mopar1973man, have you done any calculations on the 4 speed atuomatics?  Or did I miss something?  I was running 1950 RPM with almost bald 265/75/16 and I need new shoes.  They are wanting $1300 so I want to pull the trigger on the correct size.

Thanks

Michael

• Staff

I changed out a set of bald 265/75 R16 Goodrich KOs for slightly used 245/75 R16 Michelin a couple of years ago.   I use the truck 90% of the time pulling my 5er and have gone on two 7,000 mile trips this last year with this size tire.   Yes, the sweet spot for towing with a 4.10 is right around 2,000 RPM.  At that RPM I cruse in 4th at 65 MPH indicated.  The truck pulls very well when going up hills and I drop down to 3ed, this keeps the exhaust temp down.       

The change to a 245/75 R16 tire will increase your finale ratio to 4.26 and the speedometer reading at 65 MPH indicated will really be 62.4 MPH 

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

245s would be better for the 4 speed automatics. Your OD is 0.68:1 vs 0.75:1 for my 5 speed in OD.

Well that is interesting.  I just checked the door jam and the truck came with 245 75 16.  Imagine that Chrysler knew what  they were doing!  Is the Ratio still listed on a tag on the Pumpkin?  I want to double check.

Thanks

Michael

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:lmao2::lmao:OMG I was laughing my :moon: for that one... 

You learn to be careful when you sit down!  Or slide on to a Creeper!!!!!

And Don't ask me how I know these facts.  I keep wondering who the old guys is that keeps watching me shave in the mirror.

Edited by int3man
  • Haha 1

Since were talking tires...I'm trying to figure out what the ideal pressure is but everything I read says check the door jamb. Problem with that is my Chummy is much more like your guys' trucks than what it was originally designed as. The tires themselves say 80psi max and right now I'm running 38. My contact patch is almost a whole square foot. I feel like a few more pounds would be easier on the fuel but if the trade off is premature wear then it's probably not worth it. What psi are you guys running?

I run 55 in the ftont and 45 to 50 in the rear. If I saw a dquare foot of contact patch on mine I would be under inflated. That will wear a tire faster than over infalted. The 80 psi on the tire is the pressure you need for the tire to carry its rated load.

Guest 04Mach1

I run 65 psi all the way around on both my 2nd gens. I never know when I'll throw 1000 or more lbs. of truck parts in the bed so I figure 65 is the middle of the road for good sailboat fuel hauling tire wear and when I do actually have a some weight sitting in the back. 

Guess I'll run the Chummy across the nearest cat scales this weekend. Frankly I have no idea whatsoever what she weighs. Front, back, or total. Thanks for that info. When my wife bought these tires for me they were used, and had a wear ring right down the center from being overinflated so I erred on the side of underinflation to avoid making it worse. 

• Staff

Idaho keeps most of it's scales turned on all the time, even if they aren't manned so it's a free trip to the scales. 

I use the one in Horseshoe Bend on ID-55 quite often, as well as the one east of Boise on 84. The one on 84 isn't closed as often thou. 

On my 17's I run 65/45 most the time and adjust the rear as needed if I'll be heavier.  

• Like 1