• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

Some advancements are both good and bad......well most every change is in some way or another.   

On a personal level I just have to ensure I am thinking through the changes in the future to ensure I can continue to live the life I want.  Free market wins :) Go America!  

• 4 weeks later...

Devils advocate here, but stopping every 45 or 50 minutes for 60 more miles of travel is not exciting at all. It is a 15 minute stop counting getting off the highway to do that at best. I know that just means better to come I hope. But at that rate you could be making 50 maybe 55 mph at best on a long trip.

46 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to ask the next good question... Who is paying for the power?

What kind of expected emissions from increased power demands? 

I know I've been told by Idaho Power that our area of the state is tapped out for power production it barely holding the loads through winter time. 

Mike...technology doesnt have time for logical and relevant questions.  Just keep quiet and accept that for the better of (insert reason) you just need to keep your wallet readily accessible to those who are smarter than you.

Fossil fuels and coal have done more than their fair share of damage to humans.  

maxresdefault.jpg

per KWH of energy produced nuclear is significantly better for humans.

point being dont turn a blind eye to current issues and technologies because you are happy where you are.  

Edited by Me78569

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Fossil fuels and coal have done more than their fair share of damage to humans.

I have no real opinion on nuclear since there's far more to it than just the perception of being "clean" energy...  Although I do know that the long lasting effects of nuclear waste produced by nuclear power is something no one should gloss over.  That crap is DANGEROUS...and still today they dont know what to do with it.

But that said, please dont tell me Me78569 that you actually believe that fossil fuels and coal have done anything to humanity.  That environmental propaganda is so misunderstood but yet completely overly used by those who simply care to scare everyone into a corner.

• Owner

My only problem is no matter what you use for nuclear fuel. There is going to be nuclear waste. So where are you going to dump the spent fuel rods? Problem with nuclear anything is the radioactive material either used as fuel or the radioactive waste material after the fuel rods are used. You have problems with tracking this stuff safely on public highways, deposing of the radioactive waste. 

Look at alternate energies like wind power, solar power and hydro power. Like a majority of Idaho power comes from hydro power. Clean energy with no waste. Now I would say that is a good choice but comes with limitations though.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

But that said, please dont tell me Me78569 that you actually believe that fossil fuels and coal have done anything to humanity.  That environmental propaganda is so misunderstood but yet completely overly used by those who simply care to scare everyone into a corner.

you've never been in smog I guess?   I can't deny smog causing issues with the human respiratory system.  that seems obvious.  we know smoking is bad...no one argues that.

Does global warming exist? yes it does.  What % of it is a result of humans, no clue.  The earth goes through cycles.  

Nuclear waste is dangerous.  Again there are GOOD and BAD about everyting we do.  You cannot say that there is no downside to burning coal for power.  nuclear power produces power VERY efficently.   

its not perfect, but we as humans are becoming hugely energy hungry.  How do we produce the enegry we need?    Solar and wind are great but effecntly is low, coal and fossil fuels are expensive and limited, nuclear has waste, hydro needs water and distrups the natural path of water and animals.    

before you laugh about that check out the maps showing where we have damns.  again I am not a hippy, but to say i thas no effect is short sighted.  

There is no perfect solution, but we need to meet our needs.   I prefer hydro personally but hydro alone can't meet our needs.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner

More of this white stuff the less my power bill will be this summer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxbow_Dam

Oxbow Dam is a hydroelectric run-of-the-river rockfill dam on the Snake River on the Idaho-Oregon border, in Hells Canyon (river mile 273). It is part of the Hells Canyon Project that also includes Hells Canyon Dam and Brownlee Dam, built and operated by Idaho Power Company.

The dam's powerhouse contains four generating units with a total nameplate capacity of 190 megawatts (250,000 hp).

Lacking passage for migrating salmon, the three Hells Canyon Project dams blocked access by anadromous salmonids to a stretch of the Snake River drainage basin from Hells Canyon Dam up to Shoshone Falls, which naturally prevents any upstream fish passage to the upper Snake River basin.

Even I'm doing my part with solar and hydro power.

20181214_113621.jpg

• Owner
10 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

but we as humans are becoming hugely energy hungry

LOL. I'm the odd duck in the pile. Now my 2 story house here in Idaho is solar and hydro powered. Now my maximum load on my power system is 33 amp at 120 VAC which roughly 4kw worth of power. There is only a few thing on my system outside.

• Electric oven
  • Heat pump / Air Conditioning
  • Electric Drier

Surprisingly, I've added a step-up transformer for my 220 VAC well pump.  Then converted my water heater to 110 VAC 1,100 watt elements. When the power goes out I can float on batteries for quite a while if I manage the power wisely. This is one of the reason I do not plug in my truck for the block heaters it a waste of power to attempt to heat a block in the winter cold 750 watts per hour like chucking money in the wind :spend: .

Even my PC's are set up for power management and shut down when not used. Then I don't crank up the CPU to max. I allow the process to run on the energy management side so to throttle back when it's not busy. 

Converted the entire house over to LED lighting. Huge saving here. 

Still, with all the work I've put into the power system here, my power plant not big enough to handle charging an electric vehicle. 

Sometimes it not about producing more power but how to conserve the power you've got. Total house load right now of (120 VAC x 3 AC Amps) 360 watts. Most of you can't live on that little of power.

20181214_121429.jpg

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

you've never been in smog I guess?   I can't deny smog causing issues with the human respiratory system.  that seems obvious.  we know smoking is bad...no one argues that.

Does global warming exist? yes it does.  What % of it is a result of humans, no clue.  The earth goes through cycles.  

Nuclear waste is dangerous.  Again there are GOOD and BAD about everyting we do.  You cannot say that there is no downside to burning coal for power.  nuclear power produces power VERY efficently.   

its not perfect, but we as humans are becoming hugely energy hungry.  How do we produce the enegry we need?    Solar and wind are great but effecntly is low, coal and fossil fuels are expensive and limited, nuclear has waste, hydro needs water and distrups the natural path of water and animals.    

before you laugh about that check out the maps showing where we have damns.  again I am not a hippy, but to say i thas no effect is short sighted.  

There is no perfect solution, but we need to meet our needs.   I prefer hydro personally but hydro alone can't meet our needs.

Dont get me wrong Me...  We agree that we need to find the right means to meet the energy needs of society with the best outcome financially and environmentally.  But thats not always what they tell you is best either.  Do I think coal has harmed humanity?...absolutely not.  Have I experienced smog?...yes without a doubt.  Smog levels also depend on location of neighboring mountains and foothills which can cause climate pockets.  For instance, the north state of CA has been in flames for months.  We literally couldnt see more than 1/8 mile for about 1/4 of the year.  Strange though that I can see the mountains today which are anywhere from 75-150 miles away.  Where did all that smoke go?  Maybe...just maybe earth is not as fragile as we think.

Do I think there's global warming???...HECK NO.  Why?...because there is ZERO proof, and the scientific data they use to support their claims are false and inaccurate.  Plus they have no data to back facts either.  The ONLY thing they can point out is that they believe the earth is getting hotter based on weird tests like the "pan evap test" and migration of icebergs.  The actual percentage of earth "warming" is about 1%.  And...thats using technology they used well over 100 years ago.

Do I believe in "climate change"?...yes because thats been taking place for eons.  Do I think humans are causing any climate change?...ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Volcano's, wetlands, and marshes do more to the environment than we could ever.  The millions of cubic tons released every day by natural events shadows what you I or anyone else could ever do.  And...those things we deem as environmental disasters are gone not by anything we do either.  Strange too given that earth and its environment is dynamic because you'd think that based on the things they propagate to us, we'd be swimming in our own sewage and breathing the stank of the billions.

Well not to get all preachy but I'm just to say that I love this world and I believe in taking care of it but I'm not going to fall prey to the brainwashing BS rolling downhill from the high and mighty.

• Like 2

I am not saying you fall prey to anything.    

The earth can handle smog fine, it's human lungs that it is not so good for.  Smog does effect humanity, smog in a lot of areas is a direct result of burning fossil fuels.    

nothing is black and white.   

3 hours ago, KATOOM said:

DANGEROUS...and still today they dont know what to do with it.

They'll start adding it to water supply someday just like other things they do, they first need to figure out how to sell it to people

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Do I think there's global warming???...HECK NO.  Why?...because there is ZERO proof, and the scientific data they use to support their claims are false and inaccurate.  Plus they have no data to back facts either.  The ONLY thing they can point out is that they believe the earth is getting hotter based on weird tests like the "pan evap test" and migration of icebergs.  The actual percentage of earth "warming" is about 1%.  And...thats using technology they used well over 100 years ago.

There are few articles that came out lately stating that the Earth has been Cooling in past few years not warming

• Like 1