• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Fuel Temp

I have been running for over 200k with both the engine and pump return going straight to the basket. I do run my tank for the most part down to the fuel light coming on. I have not experienced any premature filter clogging, plus i do run bio diesel a good bit. Had my tank out when installing the AD and it was clean other than a few little things floating around in it but no crud on the bottom. Maybe I will drop mine one day and look, but not if I dont have any issues.

Someday in the sometime future I'll be looking at whats in my fuel tank too since I have to drop my tank because my gauge has been reading full for the past year...  Just havent felt like going through the effort since I found I can drive by the odometer. :whistle2:

• Owner
23 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I would guess the 160° code in the VP is for the electronics and not the fuel...

Actually its the fuel being the temperature sensor is in the tone ring pickup buried in the core of the fuel inside the pump. 

Again the black object there on the far right is the tone ring pickup that has the fuel temperature sensor. 

DSCF6166.JPG

Assembled.

Image result for vp44 tone ring pickup

Looking into the pump.

Image result for vp44 tone ring pickup

• Staff
49 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Actually its the fuel being the temperature sensor is in the tone ring pickup buried in the core of the fuel inside the pump. 

Again the black object there on the far right is the tone ring pickup that has the fuel temperature sensor. 

But the fuel cools/heats it, so the electronics temp will be effected by fuel temp. 

I can't think of any pumps without electronics that have a fuel temp gauge. Temp into the VP isn't the hottest it gets, and yet it's not an issue on later injection pumps designed for ULSD

• Owner
32 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I can't think of any pumps without electronics that have a fuel temp gauge.

Your right. The VP44 had a fuel temp for the reason of tracking or limiting the fuel temp from causing electronics damage. All the older mechanical pumps don't have electronics so there is no need for fuel temp measurements. Even the CP3 pumps don't have any electronics and don't require any fuel temperature measurement like the VP44

Within 3 months after I started using 2% soy biodiesel, my lift pump fuel pressure dropped and I found my fuel filter black. It was over a year before it needed changing again.

A coupla years later my fuel lever sensor failed and while changing it, I ran my hand are far as I could reach, feeling the bottom and sides of the fuel tank. My hand came out clean and everything felt smooth.

I still use 2% soy biodiesel per the well known wear ball test results.

Edited by Clunk
added info.

10 minutes ago, Clunk said:

Within 3 months after I started using 2% soy biodiesel, my lift pump fuel pressure dropped and I found my fuel filter black. It was over a year before it needed changing again.

A coupla years later my fuel lever sensor failed and while changing it, I ran my hand are far as I could reach, feeling the bottom and sides of the fuel tank. My hand came out clean and everything felt smooth.

I still use 2% soy biodiesel per the well known wear ball test results.

Wish I could find it in the 2 to 5 % range. About all i can find right now is in the 5 to 20% and no one seems to know what exactly you are getting. 

The bio around here is B20, 20% soy biodiesel. When I buy fuel, I'll add B20 at 10% the volume of fuel I'd recently purchased.....1 gal. B20/10 gal. diesel fuel.

Most counter sales people don't know anything about fuel and neither do the managers. If the sticker says B20, I take it as B20. Now the tanker guy might know a little about the mix of his product.

23 minutes ago, Clunk said:

The bio around here is B20, 20% soy biodiesel. When I buy fuel, I'll add B20 at 10% the volume of fuel I'd recently purchased.....1 gal. B20/10 gal. diesel fuel.

Most counter sales people don't know anything about fuel and neither do the managers. If the sticker says B20, I take it as B20. Now the tanker guy might know a little about the mix of his product.

The B20 labels here in Virginia state it is blended any where from 5% to 20%. It's a crap shoot out this way. Love's is the main place I see it at and theirs is mixed on site. They have a separate bio tank and it is mixed as it is dispensed so they can change st will. I have the B20 by itself and mixed with on board. I cant tell any difference either way. Plus 5% and below does not have to be labeled so you don't always know what you are running. I have no problem running it, just wish there were better labeling standards.

• Like 1

I don't run it for power since it does not offer any. It actually lowers the btu's in the fuel. 2 stroke quieted my engine a little and the bio does a little more. The bio mix itself is even better for lubricity than the 2 stroke.

24 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Here in Iowa, and yeah good luck getting any info from clerks, or managers. 

And down to 10 below is a lie most of time as it gets milky around 0

20180615_073600.jpg.f691e70243a908e469071468a9814d17.jpg20180615_073551.jpg.9fbe5de9edd7ef506316bad7b6dd8ed6.jpg

The 2 best mog runs I ever made was on fuel labled Bio Mass diesel. 22.5 mpg on 2 separate interstate runs at 75 mph. The best mpg on pumps labled like that one were 19.5 to 20.

I don't mind running it. Not to beat a dead horse but that 5 to 20 crap shoot is bull crap or maybe chicken crap.

I never had to deal with that low of a temp either.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1