• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

advice on rv or 5th wheel

4 hours ago, dripley said:

Beautiful scenery. I especially like the funeral service/garage/convenience store combo. The train station looks like something you would see 50 years ago. 

The funeral service place is a bit of a cheat as it is from the tv series "Heartbeat" which was set in the 50's/60's in and around that village it has been kept pretty much the same, sheep are everywhere, the train station is there also which only has steam trains no diesel or electric trains it runs between Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby and dates back to the 1800's, both of these towns need to be seen to believe them. Robin Hoods Bay is built straight on a sea cliff and was a smuggling haunt for centuries. The houses are tiny and packed together but there are passageways through the insides of the houses that smugglers freely used so they could get from sea to inland without ever being outside

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Everything looks like it is built with such beautiful hand crafting. Nice places indeed. Thank you for the pics.

Yes true old fashioned stone houses build by craftsmen. I'll post more pics when I get home from work..... 

Edited by wil440
  • Like 1

more

couldn't resist adding my  bulldog  who makes me laugh everyday

the ruins are a Alum works which opened in 1646 and shut in the 1800's which made  something to tan leather, think it was aluminium sulphate, all over the coast are ruins like this

one picture has a fenicular tram going up and down the cliff to the sea, powered by weight of water, from the 1800's and still used today.

2 different ruined abbeys, about 15 miles apart which is the same Celestine order as the one 2 miles from my house, buy the one near me is in full use with monks that don't speak.... but they brew some good beer... probably one reason they don't talk  as it seems to have the same result on me

20190817_111047.jpg

20190816_155744.jpg

20190815_213439.jpg

20190816_151528.jpg

20190815_184025.jpg

20190813_122245.jpg

20190813_153018.jpg

20190813_161108.jpg

20190814_123741.jpg

20190815_155656.jpg

• Like 3

• Staff

Beautiful buildings. What is some of the stories about them. Were they damaged beyond repair from WWII? Some abandoned from earlier wars? It's so interesting. the work that went into those... look how intricate that window must have been in the first picture showing ruins. Amazing stuff. Are you allowed to metal detect those places for valuables? An American would ask that.... Right? No respect :punish:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Thanks for the photos; their great.   In the first pic it looks like you're on the wrong side of the road for that part of the world and there is even some blue sky

The dog is cute.  She looks like some of my customers when I'm explaining car stuff to them. 

22 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Are you allowed to metal detect those places for valuables? An American would ask that.... Right? No respect :punish:

Sure, an amateur found a Viking treasure of more than 1500 pieces in a field with his metal detector in Staffordshire, England 

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Beautiful buildings. What is some of the stories about them. Were they damaged beyond repair from WWII? Some abandoned from earlier wars? It's so interesting. the work that went into those... look how intricate that window must have been in the first picture showing ruins. Amazing stuff. Are you allowed to metal detect those places for valuables? An American would ask that.... Right? No respect :punish:

The abbey at Whitby on the headland dates from the 13th century and is Benedictine not Celestine as I said.  But there has been a settlement on that headland since around 660ad, it is impressive seeing when it was started and the steep hills to actually get there.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/whitby-abbey/history-and-stories/history/

The other one is right in the middle of a small village https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/rievaulx-abbey/  this is earlier, from around 1100. Bit of a read but worth it.

Doesn't say either damaged in ww2 but sure the first one did in ww1. I don't think now you would be able to metal detect as they are English heritage sites but you never know, IBMobile is right though there has been big finds here and I was surprised that you guys heard about the Staffordshire find.

I don't think it's "no respect"  it's about finding out your countries history which then actually creates respect in where you live, and if a metal detector can find something valuable along the way the good luck but I think here it doesn't automatically belong to the finder 

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Thanks for the photos; their great.   In the first pic it looks like you're on the wrong side of the road for that part of the world and there is even some blue sky

The dog is cute.  She looks like some of my customers when I'm explaining car stuff to them. 

Sure, an amateur found a Viking treasure of more than 1500 pieces in a field with his metal detector in Staffordshire, England 

That bit of the road is a passing point, I'd pulled into it to do the final checks before coming home. Rest of the road is single track. 

Dog is cute but not a lot upstairs i'm afraid ? she's a reconstruction breed of English bulldog that died out when bull baiting was banned here in the 1800's she is fearless, soft as grease and stupid.... but then again if your sole purpose in life was to hang off of a bulls nose on your own then you aren't going to be no brain surgeon ☺

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 12:55 AM, JAG1 said:

On the news here tonight a group of " detectorists" so I'm told they are called here, just found 2500 plus coins from the Norman Conquest from 1066ad found on the battlefield

reckon haul is going to  be worth 5 million £ so maybe $6 or $7mill   group who found it will keep the lot... now where do you buy one of those things LOL

Off to South Wales tomorrow to drop off paperwork for our tax reclaim .... new build houses don't pay tax on anything but it's all claimed back after :hyper: 400 mile round trip

Tomorrow off in the other direction to take a look at a 5th wheeler about the same distance

Edited by wil440
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wil440 said:

the news here tonight a group of " detectorists" so I'm told they are called here, just found 2500 plus coins from the Norman Conquest from 1066ad found on the battlefield

reckon haul is going to  be worth 5 million £ so maybe $6 or $7mill   group who found it will keep the lot... now where do you buy one of those things LOL

I am a amatuer coin collector. The hunt is fun but for those kind of coins the pockets have to be a bit deep. But the hunt is just as much fun for me.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 2:11 AM, dripley said:

I am a amatuer coin collector. The hunt is fun but for those kind of coins the pockets have to be a bit deep. But the hunt is just as much fun for me.

I, over the years have collected a few, I do have a rare coin but it's that worn it's just a washer without the hole:doh:

Well it looks like a have sold my travel trailer, taking it 200 mile tomorrow, right on the south coast, guy is divorcing and has a lease on 5 acres of woodland with lake and wants a travel trailer off grid, he is paying the fuel there and back whether he buys or not.

If it happens I'm then going 5th wheel,

Emptied it of everything, filled the truck up with diesel...... which was £130 ($160)  not too bad as it had a 1/4 tank, so from empty I'd guess $200

Fair play to the guy.... we spent 5 years in a static trailer while we built our house, winters are garbage but south coast is warmer than here

• Staff

So your getting a fifth wheel then? I like those a lot. Dripley has one, IBMobile has one. 

wil440, what did they do in the old days before mortar and cement to hold all those stones together? Some of those castles are huge too :think:

Edited by JAG1

7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

So your getting a fifth wheel then? I like those a lot. Dripley has one, IBMobile has one. 

wil440, what did they do in the old days before mortar and cement to hold all those stones together? Some of those castles are huge too :think:

Yes I'll be getting a 5th wheel, been to see a few but one which was just what I wanted the guy wouldn't give me enough for my trailer so didn't bother, just got back from taking my trailer to it's new home, in a 5 acre wood with a fishing lake, guy who bought it totally off grid, he wanted it took 300yards into the wood through a bog, truck did it easy but just too big to get it the last 10ft around a tight left turn backwards, truck wanted to slide into a stream so got a discovery to help pull it backwards/sidewards a bit and job done, guy was well happy, I got what I paid for it and paid me to deliver it.

Before mortar it was horse **it, chopped straw and lime, still see it now in some really old houses:)

• Haha 1

you're welcome.... just thought a little more on the horse **it straw and lime..... before that it was just pure craftmanship with nothing between the stones, didn't have glass so just had slits in buildings for windows to just poke a bow out of, so if the walls were draughty just throw another oak tree on the fire

I have a question, I had a 9400lb bumper pull (just sold today) which could carry another 2400lb or so. I really found it hard work, more swagger than Elvis on a good night, big truck comes by and I'm fighting it, now I did not have a load dist hitch or sway stabilizer

I will go 5th w, question is how much weight on a 5th is ok for a 2500 4x4, I don't mean pulling truck eats that dog stock, I mean  fighting the thing to stay paint side up

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

Mike Rowe dirty jobs helped build a cob house, i believe called it. Witha mix of some kind of ****, chopped straw and lime. Pretty good episode especially when Mike splatered the **** in is mouth.

you sure it weren't a **** house.....       thats what a restroom is called here, down another track... I never got the "restroom" deal when in the USA  ... I aint resting in it, thats a hotel... sorry I digress

I'm informed in africa it's uman **it they use to build houses but I've never been so can't possibily comment

If I remember right.  Need to confirm.  

5th wheels...20 thru 25% of RV weight  going to be placed on truck.  Which is why 5th wheels tow so nice.  

Trailers... 11 thru 15% on hitch ball. Known as tongue weight, equals Very little sway.

5th wheels get to do the tree trimming for trailers, so not all gravy. But they tow nice.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wil440 said:

you sure it weren't a **** house.....       thats what a restroom is called here, down another track... I never got the "restroom" deal when in the USA  ... I aint resting in it, thats a hotel... sorry I digress

I'm informed in africa it's uman **it they use to build houses but I've never been so can't possibily comment

Nope pretty sure it was cob house. Now on the job we have port a johns, more affectionately know as **** houses. The cob house was very old way to build a house if were not near a forest to supply trees. 

And I agree with @015point9 on the 5th wheel. Mine is about 3000 pounds on the pin. Truck rides very nice with the trailer on.

• Staff

Since 98% of pin weight, or more, goes on the rear axle with very little effect on the front axle (unlike a TT) find out how much room you have to spare on the rear axle. Make sure you account for weight in the bed/cab too. Take the remaining weight and divide by .25, that will give you a max trailer weight with a 25% pin weight. Dividing it by .20 will give you a max trailer weight with a 20% pin weight. 

Somewere in the middle is what you want. 

Edited by AH64ID

If you have access to scales where you can weigh axles separate. Weigh your truck axles first without trailer, then with trailer weigh all axles again, then with the second weigh figure the difference on the rear truck axle and that will be your pin weight. 

If if you have a 4x4 srw. Shortbed with an auto trans, Im guessing your payload is around 2400lb. or so, the max pin weight should not exceed that, better if your under that weight but depending on the mods to your truck, like air bags, overload springs, tires, ect... will depend a lot on your truck and trailer handling. Factory weight ratings are not an exact science but more of a guide, but still I would not exceed them by to much.

here is a pic of my last weigh at the local cat scale with truck, then truck and 5thwheel to give me the pin weight of 2100 lbs.

95750BE5-6EFA-45AA-A5F2-6233BBF77813.jpeg

C51E324B-C9A5-49B5-81A9-707686A9D432.jpegAnother consideration is the axle rating on the trailer, you should have plenty of head room between the max axle rating and the actual dry weight of trailer to accommodate your belongings and still have some wiggle room without overloading the trailer axles . Say something like 3,000lbs. between the dry weight of trailer and what the actual trailer axles are rated for 

Edited by 01cummins4ever