• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another failed AD

Well in the FWIW colum, I just spoke with AD and they are sending me a new pump under warranty. Thats 2.

No argument. Just went thru the list of what I have done and agreed to send me another. Can't beat that. Now @Mopar1973Man we will see whos lasts the longest.

Still might entertain a mech pump and use this for a back up. But thats down the line.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Challenge accepted...

Good. We can meet up in the bar and discuss it when i get back from the moon. At 453k I am technically back at 451,246 but I can use the average round trip 476k and we can meet then or we can go 505k mark.

5 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

cough (fuel boss) cough    :whistle:

I have been looking at them over time. Cant spare $650 right now. Especially since AD warranted the pump. I have been wanting to replumb mine and going mechanical would make that a little less painfull. We will see, but not today.

Hey All-

For what it is worth, Power Driven Diesel in Cedar City, Utah is making their own mechanical pump, it can be seen on their popular YouTube video about "doubling the hp on a Gen 2" contest/ give away.  I talked to Tony, who can be seen in the video explaining the pump they manufacture, and he told me it will cost about $467.  

Powerdrivendiesel.com.  

I haven't gotten home yet to dive into my "new" 02 with the lift pump problems, in the week that I posted here back mid-August it seems FASS d/c the 150 gph, and went to 165 gph, so it looks like I will have to stick with the 95 gph that I bought.  But, FASS says that's all I need up to 600 hp, so I should be good.  Stuck on an Aleutian island for three to five weeks more (my relief is sick).

Itching to get started.  The bulk of advice on here was not going w sump, and so I got the Vulcan draw straw with two return ports.  

CD

47 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Just how long do these fuel bosses last

Forever!!!  All kidding aside they do seem to have a good track record. I have never seen the problems AD went thru. All I can say do some research.

16 minutes ago, Cowboy Doc said:

Hey All-

For what it is worth, Power Driven Diesel in Cedar City, Utah is making their own mechanical pump, it can be seen on their popular YouTube video about "doubling the hp on a Gen 2" contest/ give away.  I talked to Tony, who can be seen in the video explaining the pump they manufacture, and he told me it will cost about $467.  

Powerdrivendiesel.com.  

I haven't gotten home yet to dive into my "new" 02 with the lift pump problems, in the week that I posted here back mid-August it seems FASS d/c the 150 gph, and went to 165 gph, so it looks like I will have to stick with the 95 gph that I bought.  But, FASS says that's all I need up to 600 hp, so I should be good.  Stuck on an Aleutian island for three to five weeks more (my relief is sick).

Itching to get started.  The bulk of advice on here was not going w sump, and so I got the Vulcan draw straw with two return ports.  

CD

That is interesting. One of my sticking points on the fuel boss is $650 and another $240 more for the extra filtration that comes with AD and FASS. Though sitting here with a blown sucks.

7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Just how long do these fuel bosses last

when i purchased mine back in 2011, the owner worked with me on troubleshooting the install (debris in return valve) i asked him how many miles he had his fuel boss for and told me he had the same pump and belt for over 150,000 or more miles.

the pump is a  straight cut gear pump. it has 3 moving parts (belt, two gears) as long as the belt is properly tensioned (1-1.5" play) the belt will last who knows how long and the gears wont wear the seals on the housing. i have 2 spare belts in the toolbox ive not needed since i purchased the pump. they are $7 each i think...

i keep the oem lift pump installed but unwired to prime the system but probably gonna remove it. you can prime the fuel boss with a drill also, just remove belt and pulley and chuck the shaft into cordless drill and in a couple seconds its primed.

it has my full confidence.

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

On the flip side, I've got the AirDog 150 which I purchased back in 2006. The first pump head lasted 13 years and 250k miles. I'm on my second pump head now and no problems at all. Filters are going 60k miles a cycle and pressure are really stable at 15-17 PSI all the time including illegal speeds up to 100 MPH. Never drops. Then I've still got my stock fuel filter housing and its not a restriction at all. It's a bonus being that all fuel is double filtered before consumed but the VP44 and injectors. Even my VP44 lasted 243k miles before failing with a P0216 code where the timing was stuck at full advancement.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

On the flip side, I've got the AirDog 150 which I purchased back in 2006. The first pump head lasted 13 years and 250k miles. I'm on my second pump head now and no problems at all. Filters are going 60k miles a cycle and pressure are really stable at 15-17 PSI all the time including illegal speeds up to 100 MPH. Never drops. Then I've still got my stock fuel filter housing and its not a restriction at all. It's a bonus being that all fuel is double filtered before consumed but the VP44 and injectors. Even my VP44 lasted 243k miles before failing with a P0216 code where the timing was stuck at full advancement.

I am similar to you though i have the AD II 165 purchased in 2009. It only lasted about 125k. AD covered and sent me a new pump head which lasted about the same mileage. I just got new pump today and made it home just fine. Pretty sure the second pump had a manufacture date of 2012 so maybe thats why it did not last.

This time they sent me a 4G pump head. As you can see the pump is bigger and was made this year.20180914_110340.jpg.ad8568d219270aee901109976dc03b2f.jpg

Hopefully this one will last 250k or more.

I installed it this morning at the job. The extra length of the pumped caused me to have to move the mounting bracket back about 1 1/2" to the rear to clear the bed support. No big deal. There are two loose pins used to register the pump onto the base. So i reach up over the base and place one of the pins in the wrong hole. Crap now i either have to remove the base to get it out or, brain in high gear now, get a magnet. I am in the Walmart parking lot and sure enough they have a pencil magnet. Go back to the truck and grab one of the old pins to make sure the magnet is not to big. Would'nt you know it the pins are stainless and not magnetic. So I had to pull base off the truck so I could shake it out. Pins are in the right holes, the pump is on, the truck fired right off, and I made it home.

Not sure whats the difference between my old pump and the 4G pump but it worked fine.

Right now I have 236k on my VP and it has survived 2 lift pump failures. More about that in another thread.

Edited by dripley

41 minutes ago, dripley said:

I am similar to you though i have the AD II 165 purchased in 2009. It only lasted about 125k. AD covered and sent me a new pump head which lasted about the same mileage. I just got new pump today and made it home just fine. Pretty sure the second pump had a manufacture date of 2012 so maybe thats why it did not last.

This time they sent me a 4G pump head. As you can see the pump is bigger and was made this year.20180914_110340.jpg.ad8568d219270aee901109976dc03b2f.jpg

Hopefully this one will last 250k or more.

I installed it this morning at the job. The extra length of the pumped caused me to have to move the mounting bracket back about 1 1/2" to the rear to clear the bed support. No big deal. There are two loose pins used to register the pump onto the base. So i reach up over the base and place one of the pins in the wrong hole. Crap now i either have to remove the base to get it out or, brain in high gear now, get a magnet. I am in the Walmart parking lot and sure enough they have a pencil magnet. Go back to the truck and grab one of the old pins to make sure the magnet is not to big. Would'nt you know it the pins are stainless and not magnetic. So I had to pull base off the truck so I could shake it out. Pins are in the right holes, the pump is on, the truck fired right off, and I made it home.

Not sure whats the difference between my old pump and the 4G pump but it worked fine.

Right now I have 236k on my VP and it has survived 2 lift pump failures. More about that in another thread.

I just installed my 4G.  I know they are quieter compared to the non-4G units but there are also internal differences from what I understood. 

2 hours ago, sooxies said:

I just installed my 4G.  I know they are quieter compared to the non-4G units but there are also internal differences from what I understood. 

The base of the pump was slightly different. There was a small and very very shallow channel  with 2 90* turns. 20180914_110224.jpg.99f95a06df0bb2f52c1170bff9651712.jpg

It stands out in picture. Dont know what it is. No fuel leaked. I going to call them find out. 

You are right about the quiet part, I had to get out of the truck to hear it. But I could not hear the old once engine was running.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I think they change design of that seal that causes fuel to go in the motor. My guess is they put a mechanical seal on. 

There is definitely more in the gear rotor head. The motor appears to be the same size.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, dripley said:

The base of the pump was slightly different. There was a small and very very shallow channel  with 2 90* turns. 20180914_110224.jpg.99f95a06df0bb2f52c1170bff9651712.jpg

It stands out in picture. Dont know what it is. No fuel leaked. I going to call them find out. 

You are right about the quiet part, I had to get out of the truck to hear it. But I could not hear the old once engine was running.

There is definitely more in the gear rotor head. The motor appears to be the same size.

that might be a weep port if the seal to the motor fails. kinda like the weep port on a water pump.

• Like 1

I got another unexpected bonus out of changing out the pump. My engine surging stopped. Has not done it once since changing it out. Been dealing with this for quite a while and got it to stop about a year ago while messing with the map sensor. After resealing my hydro boost the MAP sensor went wacky again and I found a bad splice in the 5v sensor signal wire. Fixed it and the MAP sensor works fine but the surging came back. Now a new lift and no surging. :think: