• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What makes 24 valves sound different from each other?

Mike i have to agree with the guys here. you can easy go 10-15K on your oil. even idling.

my 04 idles all night long on my road trips. a good 6-9 hours sometimes, my UOA are great. i change between 10-15K and anywhere form tractor supply 15-40 to walmart 15-40, and lately it's been delvac MXf2 15-40, every one has been good for longer service. TBN usually in the 6-8 range.

heck i'll pay for a UOA for you to prove it for you. i'd much rather see you get more use of the modern oils than flush good money out.

these engines like what ever oil meets the spec, and is on sale. they are not hard on oil at all. not like a PS is anyhow.

i'd venture to sugest you can switch from the delo to walmart and save a few $, it's good oil. else my 04 woulds died years ago.

i like the Devlac MXF2 as it's a CI oil. yes they reintroduced a CI oil. and so far i really like it. and the 95 12V likes it as well.

Mike your manaual was written for the oils of the day, todays oils are a lot better, and you an go and should get an hour meter, 500 hours.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

Mike i have to agree with the guys here. you can easy go 10-15K on your oil. even idling.

my 04 idles all night long on my road trips. a good 6-9 hours sometimes, my UOA are great. i change between 10-15K and anywhere form tractor supply 15-40 to walmart 15-40, and lately it's been delvac MXf2 15-40, every one has been good for longer service. TBN usually in the 6-8 range.

heck i'll pay for a UOA for you to prove it for you. i'd much rather see you get more use of the modern oils than flush good money out.

these engines like what ever oil meets the spec, and is on sale. they are not hard on oil at all. not like a PS is anyhow.

i'd venture to sugest you can switch from the delo to walmart and save a few $, it's good oil. else my 04 woulds died years ago.

i like the Devlac MXF2 as it's a CI oil. yes they reintroduced a CI oil. and so far i really like it. and the 95 12V likes it as well.

Mike your manaual was written for the oils of the day, todays oils are a lot better, and you an go and should get an hour meter, 500 hours.

Couldn't have said it better my friend.... Dads 95 went 300k+ miles with my dad on Walmart and Oriellys oil from the day he bought it, and there was never any metal on the drain plug and he changed it religiously at 10k. Now on his 03 he is using the same oil BUT running now at 30k on an oil change, and we are the firm believer that the longer the change the better the mileage. Before the custom tuning he has now (which I wont go into, I've blabbed about it enough) with a smarty was getting 22mpg, and the last time he changed his oil, right after we did it (btw still no metal on the plug or anything) he started getting ~18mpg out of the truck. Call us crazy but theres definitely a connection between weight and how long its been on a change.

22 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

i know modern deere tractor oil is designed for 500 hours of service. and there is no real reason to believe these engines will be any different.

Hell like I said earlier, I was using a bit of heavy duty 10w-30 due to a slight oil leak (stupid I know, I didn't realized it till it was all gone :doh:) bit as far as I can tell its still running the same and running great! It might be time for people to take a step back and question these types of things.... Don't you think?

When you add fuel to the truck such as 75 hp injectors in my case without a programmer does the ECM increase timing to compensate for the extra fuel? I’m thinking my engine is running higher timing vs a stock truck hence the difference in sound. The injectors are the only thing I can think of to make my truck sound different although I can’t remember what it sounded like before I put the Dap 75s in.

• Owner
21 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

When you add fuel to the truck such as 75 hp injectors in my case without a programmer does the ECM increase timing to compensate for the extra fuel?

No. The ECM assumes it still stock 235 HP injectors. This is why timing needs adjustment. 

22 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m thinking my engine is running higher timing vs a stock truck hence the difference in sound. The injectors are the only thing I can think of to make my truck sound different although I can’t remember what it sounded like before I put the Dap 75s in.

The only thing that will advance timing is to have an excessive cold temperature for IAT sensor. Like I said when it's below +80*F the ECM jacks in another 4 degrees of advancement. When the IAT rises then the timing retards again. 

Like @pepsi71ocean told me about setting his injectors doe 320 bar really made a difference. This also changes the timing a bit too as you increase pop pressure it just slightly later than the injector fires but with bigger nozzles the quantity of fuel will flow faster into the cylinder versus stock nozzles.  

• Thanks 1

Guest 04Mach1
2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Did they have aftermarket cams or valve springs

OEM Cummins camshaft and valve train parts. Cummins has always been known to eat cams in the OTR industry. Compared to a Cat or an older Detroit 60 series engine the metal seems soft on Cummins cams. I don't have any metallurgy reports on any of the cams but the lobes are flaking off on every cam I've changed in a Cummins engine.

The most common symptoms I've found in a Cummins with a bad camshaft is low power with lots of smoke accompanied by cylinder contribution and sometimes injector faults. 

I was always under the impression that all the racket was combustion noise as well but now having owned mine for almost 2 and a half years and hearing it with and without the exhaust different tuners at different settings. The edge you can hear a slight delay in the timing change when you step on it. Honestly the exhaust sounded exactly the same as far as a little experiment I did comparing sound between wide open downpipe and the full 4" with straight thru muffler before i welded it all together.

I have been able to tell a very slight variation when it comes to youtube videos about injector installs theres just the most subtle change but its definitely there.

While im thinking about it, before i forget.. like @Marcus2000monster is getting at with the computer compensating for more fuel with more timing and @Mopar1973Man saying it doesnt.. we dont have the sensors in our trucks to really read that and react accordingly i dont believe.

but what if someone were to go with bigger injectors and some hard timing? is that a feasible option? or is that something more reserved for the big power guys.

are you asking me for a video? @Marcus2000monster if so i will openly admit all ive really got done is intake exhaust and my edge. It does have a Fass but it doesnt have a filter and i have no idea what size it is. Ive been neglecting to do my valve adjustment and i think im beginning to hear a slight tick. And i dont run any fuel additives at all right now never have. although im considering the 2 stroke just because its so easy to get ahold of.

5 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

While im thinking about it, before i forget.. like @Marcus2000monster is getting at with the computer compensating for more fuel with more timing and @Mopar1973Man saying it doesnt.. we dont have the sensors in our trucks to really read that and react accordingly i dont believe.

but what if someone were to go with bigger injectors and some hard timing? is that a feasible option? or is that something more reserved for the big power guys.

are you asking me for a video? @Marcus2000monster if so i will openly admit all ive really got done is intake exhaust and my edge. It does have a Fass but it doesnt have a filter and i have no idea what size it is. Ive been neglecting to do my valve adjustment and i think im beginning to hear a slight tick. And i dont run any fuel additives at all right now never have. although im considering the 2 stroke just because its so easy to get ahold of.

Yea I’d love a video. I’ll post one up shortly. I have nothing but Dap 75s and exhaust and fass.

i think the reason the are a little quieter with the TCW3 is the flash point fo that oil compared to diesel. i could be wrong, yes. bu i know my old 12V my old 02 that i sold, and my 04 all are a noticeably quieter with TCW3 in the tank.

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Thats a nice looking truck.

Thank you. It’s my most prized possession.(With the exception of Christ) 

I try to keep it immaculate as possible as I bought it that way. I’m also very concerned about it running as perfect as a 24 valve should as you know by now lol. 

I’d love to see pics and vids of your trucks as well Jag!

• Like 1

clean air, clean fuel, clean oil, it'll run a long time.

my 95 has 315K

04 260K

08 195K.

clean oil, clean air, clean fuel. they say not to let a diesel idle, but i have let mine idle for days at a time. drive them, idle sleep in the cab, drive some, once i slept in the cab for 8 days, it never shut off, i was sick. didnt wana move. no ill effects.

the oil once to temp, it's doing the job it's designed to do, these engines like to run, all engines like to run, it's the start stop that kills them. along with bad fuel and dirty air. some with poor programming.

even still wash them good in the winter as often as you can. it'll treat you right if you do the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

I just changed my vibration Dampner and thought it made only a little bit of difference, but after I got it out on the highway..... Wow, it was a huge difference from the old one that had about a 1/16th inch wobble. It's like a brand new truck and I thought I had a slight lope as well

You can see your old one wobble while idling as it sort of 'ghosts' itself there enough to see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1