• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What makes 24 valves sound different from each other?

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is why I love the Quadzilla because you can make up this timing basis with injectors or weak VP44. Like my truck seems to really like high timing. I'm bumping the timing up a bit more and watching the fuel logs.

F I wasn’t replacing my steering gear I would likely be buying Qaudzilla. I’m going to be installing a track bar bushing kit tonight and if that fixes my steering issue well then mebbe I’ll get a Qaud coming!

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

F I wasn’t replacing my steering gear I would likely be buying Qaudzilla. I’m going to be installing a track bar bushing kit tonight and if that fixes my steering issue well then mebbe I’ll get a Qaud coming!

You'll never stop fixing your truck just like rest of us, so just buy the Quadzilla already and fix other things later :shifty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

You'll never stop fixing your truck just like rest of us, so just buy the Quadzilla already and fix other things later :shifty:

Agreed. I've needed a trackbar since i bought the truck but I've got the intake exhaust edge etc. The trackbars not broken i just have to drive with the wheel turned 90*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Owner

Kind of like myself I've got a front end clunk and a bad wheel joint. I still got to fix those things too. Just finished the head gasket and now got keep fixing stuff. Like I could of invested the money I spent on LED's towards control arms. But I didn't I look at other angles like comfort and safety. Yeah, safety takes the top of the list but front end clunk has possed any safety issues as of yet. Wheel joint I'm just being lazy because I know its another adventure of 4 hours of beating on that joint with a 6-pound hammer. Ugh...

17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The Quadzilla will make you change that head gasket for sure. 

Not sure if having injectors changes things Im almost positive it does, but my dad had an 02 high output nv5600 duallie with an edge and banks stuff on it and hauling a mini excavator up a decent grade on level 4 in 4th gear it pulled it perfectly with 39 psi of boost on a bone stock engine just bolt on upgrades. Never had a single problem with that truck except the lift pump was a POS until he got an air dog on it. Granted that was with only 120k miles on it back in the mid 2000s..

You're still on dino oil Mike? get synthetic already! LOL then you can change every 15-25k miles. :tease:

I do mine every 15k or so...cause it usually leaks out lol. My poor truck needs some serious maintenance. lots n lots of work. Just haven't the time or money to do it all. leaky tappet cover (though could be vacuum pump i suppose), PCV hose that keeps the front end well lubricated. PS pump needs replaced, vacuum pump needs rebuilt, steering column bushing needs dealt with, steering box needs replaced. hydroboost hoses need replaced again due to bad PS pump. southbend HD clutch hydraulics are leakingy at the pedal ugh. yep...moneypit...:spend:

back on topic: I would say timing and injectors make the biggest difference in engine sound. heck just turning the dial on that high idle switch will make my engine sound different on the fly due to the timing change that results from it. exhaust will have an effect but timing and injectors will have the largest effect on sound under the hood. now towards the tailpipe end exhaust and turbo config will play a big part. especially under load.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, Marcus2000monster said:

@Tractorman Would you be interested in making an article on your BHAF muffler? 

I have completed the article.  Your request got me thinking (I hate it when that happens).  When I made the BHAF muffler I didn't follow through with any pressure drop tests regarding the air flow through the new pipe that was introduced into the air intake stream.  So, I did some testing and put the results in the article.  I also scrapped the plastic ribbed pipe idea and went to a simpler design.  Dripley gets credit for the name "BHAF Muffler"/

I think this shortcut will get you to the article.

- John

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I have completed the article.  Your request got me thinking (I hate it when that happens).  When I made the BHAF muffler I didn't follow through with any pressure drop tests regarding the air flow through the new pipe that was introduced into the air intake stream.  So, I did some testing and put the results in the article.  I also scrapped the plastic ribbed pipe idea and went to a simpler design.  Dripley gets credit for the name "BHAF Muffler"/

I think this shortcut will get you to the article.

- John

Your effort is appreciated. While I like the BHAF it does allow a lot intake noise under the hood and to the cab. 

Just started running 2 stroke oil and its definitely different. Seems to run smoother on the highway and quieter on a cold start in the morning. It's down to the high 30s here now and not that it's that cold but it should have made more racket compared to how it used to sound.

• Owner
1 hour ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

It's down to the high 30s here now and not that it's that cold but it should have made more racket compared to how it used to sound.

That's because as the IAT drops below +80*F the ECM kick about another 3* to 4* of timing advancement. The 2 cycle oil makes the fuel burn slower and takes the violent knock out.