• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Show me your Frantz Toilet Paper Bypass Oil Filter Setup!

I bought a Frantz bypass filter a good while back but have not installed it in part due to really crappy weather and in large part due to my frustration with finding what I feel is an adequate and maintenance friendly location to mount the filter and run the oil lines. I have read the write-up and looked at the pics of Mike's install. I may end up doing it this way in the end but I wanted to get as many pictures of how the filter mounting installation is done before I make my decision. I want to keep it simple and drill as few holes and cut as little as possible and hopefully not at all. I would appreciate it if you guys who have the Frantz filter installed show me your pictures of how you installed and mounted the filter as well as ran the oil lines. Any other comments and suggestions welcome as well. TIA! :thumbup2:

Here is my slightly modified Mike Nelson installation: Like Mike I used a 1 inch piece of strap and bent it in a U shape. The main difference I noticed is I made mine a little longer so it would set on top of the battery bracket and then go to the bottom of the battery tray and line up on the hold down bolt. That way it eliminates the chance of the bracket rubbing a hole into the battery. I routed my hoses with a service loop so It would make it easier to change tp too. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/album.php?albumid=51&attachmentid=958 post-10110-138698167507_thumb.jpg Positives of mounting it inverted: You can easily see if you are starting to get any leakage at the fittings. Negatives: Slight amount of oil left in the bottom of the can when you change elements that you have to dump and clean out before you put your new roll in.

I bought a Frantz bypass filter a good while back but have not installed it in part due to really crappy weather and in large part due to my frustration with finding what I feel is an adequate and maintenance friendly location to mount the filter and run the oil lines. I have read the write-up and looked at the pics of Mike's install. I may end up doing it this way in the end but I wanted to get as many pictures of how the filter mounting installation is done before I make my decision. I want to keep it simple and drill as few holes and cut as little as possible and hopefully not at all. I would appreciate it if you guys who have the Frantz filter installed show me your pictures of how you installed and mounted the filter as well as ran the oil lines. Any other comments and suggestions welcome as well. TIA! :thumbup2:

I wouldn't be able to sleep nights if I had one of them on my trucks!!! Imagine all that that toilet paper in your main oil gallery and piston cooling nozzles. But I guess they must not be that bad if you all approve of them. What kind of toilet paper is that anyway? Probably not one or two ply right??

• Staff

I wouldn't be able to sleep nights if I had one of them on my trucks!!! Imagine all that that toilet paper in your main oil gallery and piston cooling nozzles. But I guess they must not be that bad if you all approve of them. What kind of toilet paper is that anyway? Probably not one or two ply right??

Thats my thought as well. But lots of people using them with great results. The change frequency is also insane, especially if you use $$ oil.

• Owner

Hmmm... I change 2-3 times between oil changes... So that's 3 quarts of make up oil added (10K mile at oil change)... So since I'm, down in a Wally World I pickup 4 gallons of the favorite oil and change as typically both filters... Thebn the 4th gallon is used for make up oil on filter changes... But you might want to talk to Dorkweed which hold the longest record for oil change at 84K miles with a Motorguard filter and was testing with Blackstone labs... The best part is he's using good ol' WalMart SuperTech Unverisal Engine oil and no problems for that span! Blackstone Labs gave him thumbs up everytime... :thumbup2:

Hmmm... I change 2-3 times between oil changes... So that's 3 quarts of make up oil added (10K mile at oil change)... So since I'm, down in a Wally World I pickup 4 gallons of the favorite oil and change as typically both filters... Thebn the 4th gallon is used for make up oil on filter changes... But you might want to talk to Dorkweed which hold the longest record for oil change at 84K miles with a Motorguard filter and was testing with Blackstone labs... The best part is he's using good ol' WalMart SuperTech Unverisal Engine oil and no problems for that span! Blackstone Labs gave him thumbs up everytime... :thumbup2:

If you have to send in oil samples to run extended oil drain intervals like this........unless the costs for mailing and testing are very small, I just don't see the value in doing this. :shrug: If would seem to me that that cost of buying a mail pouch, oil sample bottle, paying postage, and paying the oil sample testing would out weigh the cost of extended oil drain intervals at least on out trucks. Now on an N14 that holds FAR more oil (10 gallons give or take depending upon configuration) and more expensive filters, this is a "whole nuther story".

• Staff

If you look at Dorkweed's setup and you have to change the filters every 3K miles, that's 28 changes, or 28 new QTS of oil. Thats really 2.3 oil changes over the 84K miles, and with adding a qt every 3K miles you keep the TBN up, and help lower the contaminates, which really helps the longevity of the oil. I am not trying to say its not impressive, since its still a lot of miles for cheap dino oil, but its a lot of work too. What's the total cost for that 84K miles? There are at least 40 qts of oil used. Thou its still probably cheaper than my oil/filter changes at 15-20K miles. If I had a frantz I would still want to use synthetic, IMHO even if you get the same contaminate level I still think synthetic's are better for the motor. I have thought about putting a Frantz in after my 2um bypass, but I am not sure how much longer that would make the filters last, and at $8/qt thats not cheap if I have to use 5-6 extra qts per OCI.

Alright I got some more questions. What is the micron rating on them? Why do you have to add a quart every time you change them?

My guess on the adding a quart is that the roll of tp might sop up a quart and by pulling it out and putting a new one in you are a quart low?? Maybe not, just a guess.

My guess on the adding a quart is that the roll of tp might sop up a quart and by pulling it out and putting a new one in you are a quart low?? Maybe not, just a guess.

That was my guess but a quart is, well a quart! I don't really see how it would steal an entire quart in that thing. Maybe it does though :shrug:

Another question, just because I don't have a clue about it... So the oil capacity on the 5.9 is about 3 gallons give or take (ok, 11qts). How much oil is used to lubricate the engine at any one time?? I mean, what is the minimum amount of oil right before the pickup tube cant suck up anymore oil? I have replaced the oil pan a couple times on these, and the pickup tube is really low to the bottom of the pan so probably 2 quarts to cover it completely, but how much is in the motor when it is running and how much is in the pan at any one time? Stupid question I know, but I am just wondering how low on oil you can get one before you run it dry.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

That was my guess but a quart is, well a quart! I don't really see how it would steal an entire quart in that thing. Maybe it does though :shrug:

Yeah that is quite a bit of oil!!!

Another question, just because I don't have a clue about it... So the oil capacity on the 5.9 is about 3 gallons give or take (ok, 11qts). How much oil is used to lubricate the engine at any one time?? I mean, what is the minimum amount of oil right before the pickup tube cant suck up anymore oil? I have replaced the oil pan a couple times on these, and the pickup tube is really low to the bottom of the pan so probably 2 quarts to cover it completely, but how much is in the motor when it is running and how much is in the pan at any one time? Stupid question I know, but I am just wondering how low on oil you can get one before you run it dry.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Yeah that is quite a bit of oil!!!

Really good question actually!

I am not sure but lets think of all the places the oil could be at any moment in time.

1. It is shooting through oil jets all over the bottom of the pistons

2. It is shooting into oil passages along the crankshaft

3. It is getting up into the valve covers

4. It is feeding the turbo

5. It is in the oil filter

6. It is in the oil cooler

7. It is in all the oil passages that transfer oil to everything

8. It is in the gears of the timing case

9. It is in the injection pump, well, p7100 anyways :tongue:

10. Can't think of anything else.

I am going to say roughly half the oil gets used at any given time.

I will throw this in there. My ford wouldn't pick up any oil after about half the capacity was gone.. I know this because it leaked half of it out every day :lol: Turn in the driveway and watch the oil pressure go to 0. But, it is a clue, so I am going to put all bets on half.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael,Thanks for posting the pix of you Frantz canister opened up. I was changing the TP & forgot how the inside parts were supposed to go back. It does a wonderfull job. Glad I followed your endorsement. I have 2 plus years on this oil & this is my 3rd filter change. It's really helping to keep my budget it check!Thanks for helping to keep my Mopar running young,Dave