• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

I am not finding it in the 02 service manual, but IIRC its on the front of the block, behind the harmonic balancer. There should be a ring with teeth, and a sensor off to the side of it. On my 05 its in the 5 O'clock position looking from front to back.

• Owner

I am not finding it in the 02 service manual, but IIRC its on the front of the block, behind the harmonic balancer. There should be a ring with teeth, and a sensor off to the side of it. On my 05 its in the 5 O'clock position looking from front to back.

Busted me...:banghead: 2002 doesn't have a crank sensor... (D'Oh!) It does have a cam sensor located on the gear case just below the VP44... Thank AH64ID you got me thinking this morning... I need to drink my coffee... :lmao:

• Staff

Busted me...:banghead: 2002 doesn't have a crank sensor... (D'Oh!) It does have a cam sensor located on the gear case just below the VP44... Thank AH64ID you got me thinking this morning... I need to drink my coffee... :lmao:

Thats what I was wondering, so I went to the 05 service manual and couldn't find a pic of it either and I know the 05 has one :banghead: So I wasn't sure... But now I know.

• Owner

hate to beat the big man up. but even my uneducate self new that one.

Goes to prove I'm not exact the big man for everything and I'm human and do make mistakes too... (Even more so before the first cup of coffee)... :lmao: If I remember right... 98.5 and 99 had the crank sensor then starting in 2000 it was deleted (someone verify this)... The Cam sensor took over the roll of the crank since the VP44 can detect RPM's and TDC too internally... Then in 2003 it seems to come back for the 3rd Gens...

you are correct on the tears of with and without crank sensors but you cant admit to being human it kills the know it all stigma that surrounds the mopar man. its kinda like when the wizard of oz came out from behind the curtain for dorthy.:nono:

Goes to prove I'm not exact the big man for everything and I'm human and do make mistakes too... (Even more so before the first cup of coffee)... :lmao: If I remember right... 98.5 and 99 had the crank sensor then starting in 2000 it was deleted (someone verify this)... The Cam sensor took over the roll of the crank since the VP44 can detect RPM's and TDC too internally... Then in 2003 it seems to come back for the 3rd Gens...

sombody has to be the man. I have learned more here in the past 6 weeks than on the past 6 years. Thanks to all who contribute.

• Staff

That makes sense, and indicates why it was listed as a possibility in the 02 SM. 3rd gens need them as the CP3 doesn't have the ability to know when TDC is, or RPM's are.. nor does it care since its common rail.