• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How long to change injectors?

I wouldn't beat myself up about how long it took me as much as I would if it wasn't done properly.  Take all the time you need the first time...9 hours is just fine.  My first time was about 5+ hours while double and triple checking my movements.  And anytime I pull the valve cover the valves are getting checked/adjusted too.  So about 2-2.5 hours now for injectors and valves with accumulated experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think my record was a 1 hour and 15 mins. But I did do a Vp-44 in 4 hours before lol.  For me valve lash would take a while because I really like to double check that stuff.

Speed comes with doing it over and over again. What you don't want is to speed through it, and then find you did something wrong and fark up your engine.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally tested the old injectors, they varied from 3,000 to 3,600 PSI pop pressure, one did not sound like the others. On most, only 3-4 holes of the seven sprayed fuel.

Of course, I change the injectors and set valves, and wind up losing over one MPG, hand calculated. Overhead gizmo says this tank will be even worse. Same weather, same commute, driving the same way. No fuel leaks, engine "smooth" for an ISB - a sewing machine it is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LorenS said:

Finally tested the old injectors, they varied from 3,000 to 3,600 PSI pop pressure, one did not sound like the others. On most, only 3-4 holes of the seven sprayed fuel.

Of course, I change the injectors and set valves, and wind up losing over one MPG, hand calculated. Overhead gizmo says this tank will be even worse. Same weather, same commute, driving the same way. No fuel leaks, engine "smooth" for an ISB - a sewing machine it is not.

206 to 248 BAR is really low. How many miles did you have on them?

• Owner
10 hours ago, LorenS said:

Finally tested the old injectors, they varied from 3,000 to 3,600 PSI pop pressure, one did not sound like the others.

Remember Bosch lower pop pressure is 293 bar (4,249 PSI).

Your quoted 3,000 PSI to 3,600 PSI is 200 bar to 248 bar. All junk... Just because they still run doesn't mean they are still good. This brings up why I popped mine above. Most injector builders pop at 300 to 305 bar. Little settling time and you are below the 293 bar in no time. Ask for at least 310 bat which is factory spec. This is good for smaller injectors. I opted for the 320 bar on the 7 x 0.010 injectors.

Image result for mopar1973man fuel pressure specs

I agree the ones I took out were junk, but it's hard to not be aggravated when I got better mileage before the switch.  I may reset the valves this weekend to something looser and see if that helps.  I went a loose .008/.018, tight .009/.019.  I tried to be as consistent as absolutely possible.  Once set I checked them all again before reinstalling valve cover.

For a stock truck, does DAP have a recommended injector?  Reliability and fuel economy are my main concerns.  Whatever HP (235 factory rating) I have now suits me fine - of course I wouldn't say no to a little more if the penalty was small!

Don't you guys set your Quad things to advance the injection to make more power?  Isn't that what weaker injectors do, just with a less than optimal fuel atomization?  My console used to tell me I was getting 18.5 MPG or so, and I was at 17.5ish.  Now it says 13.8 MPG, and I believe it.  Putting the truck in neutral on a very small slope, the truck rolls as expected.  In gear (auto trans) and off throttle, the truck behaves as always, so I don't think I have brakes dragging, etc.  Lift pump pressure same as always.  I have no noticeable black smoke, same as before.  Is there a cam/crank position sensor that I may have bumped while working on the truck, and messed up timing?

I may put 500-600 highway miles on it tomorrow, will certainly know my MPG more accurately after that trip.

• Owner
1 hour ago, LorenS said:

Don't you guys set your Quad things to advance the injection to make more power?

With my setup I had to retard some. I was running 21-22° at 2k cruising. Now backed down 19-20° at 2k doing testing these last few tanks have to tossed out with 4WD and heavy foot operation. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 3 years later...
  • Owner

Tuning and driving style make impacts that may or may not improve MPG numbers. Like the combo I done with the Quadzilla tune and 150 HP injectors popped at 320 bar this made 28.04 MPG.

Like the last time was 75 HP injectors and Edge Comp tuner but there was limitations. Still made 27.2 MPG.

Secret is keeping the Engine load and Engine load low as possible. Anything that creates heat is where the power is lost at only because any thing creating heat is steal some of the energy to create said heat.

Edited by Mopar1973Man