• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I was reading the sign on our red dye fuel pump in town. It says : Warning this is off road diesel ( like I knew that ) Warning this fuel contains in excess of 500 parts per million sulpher only to be used in engines certified to use sulphured fuel.Hmmmmmmmm!End of story

Thats the good stuff!! Though since it's red you can't legally run it, the fines are insane.

Since you said Hmmm I imagine you want to know more.

Sulphur used to be used to lube the fuel in a way, but also helped seal up fuel sytems since it is a mineral. It also created emissions issues. So they have been filtering it all out, getting to the new Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) which burns very clean but they filter it so much it actually takes some of the energy content out. That is why I said the stuff you saw at the station labeled 500ppm is the good stuff. That actually sounds like high sulphur diesel, which is about the best there is, for older trucks anyways, the 2004+ trucks would hate it, it has too much sulphur.

ULSD is only 15ppm, max. Low Sulphur Diesel (LSD, not the drug :lmao:) is 500ppm or less. You said may contain more than 500ppm so that has got to be High Sulphur Diesel (HSD), which is basically unheard of right now so it's amazing you still have it, though it could also be a mislabeled pump and actually have LSD or ULSD in it. Engines able to run on HSD can run on LSD or ULSD, but ULSD engines will not run on anything with a higher sulphur content.

What state is this in anyways?

ah the red stuff its like crack rock for diesel engines, i love the stuff and nobodys sticking tanks around here-just throw some vp top lube in the tank i think the bubble gum smell is quite strong and use it as a conversational piece with the highway patrol:lol:

Well the only thing is I don't know if HSD is fine in a VP44. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be, but I am not sure. Not sure enough to tell you it's 100% fine :lol:

Hmm, oklahoma.. I might just have to run down and get some :lmao:

--- Update to the previous post...

Don't whine... :nono: Please... I'm the highest price state in the union... $3.25 to $3.35 a gallon... :stuned:

You get the Idaho view and don't have to worry about tornadoes so it evens out :lmao:

I'm in Oklahoma, we get 500 gallons at a time delivered to our farm. It runs just fine in these trucks, just don't get caught i have seen the ohp tahoes out at the OKC west stockyards and the sale yard by ada dipping tanks and leaving tickets under wiper blades... Most recently, last week when we took a load into the city they were checking pickups and big trucks while people were unloadin cattle. They just run a clear hose into the tank and use a hand pump to bring the fuel up to where they can check the color.

i cant believe they can stick the tanks without the owner present and on private property, that would get someone accidentally shot down here!

Yeah i don't know how that works, i see it all the time though so it must be legal. sucks though... i have a locking gas cap in case they want to check. if they ask for the keys I am gonna say I left them at home. Cant ticket me if they cant check! Personally, I have never been checked, next time I get a speeding ticket and i sit in the troopers car i will ask him casually about when they check for red because i am curious myself about it.

that sounds like it could be a expensive conversation:lol: we have put auxillary fuel feed pumps on the auxillary fuel tank in the bed it does get a small amount of fuel transfer from tank to tank but not enough to really be noticed used a tank tranfer valve off a ford with factory dual tanks 94 model i think but easy to set up then u can get sticked and run the red:thumbup2:

oh and fuel price slightly over 2.00 a gallon here for the ulsf so feeling good at the pump:tongue:

that sounds like it could be a expensive conversation:lol: we have put auxillary fuel feed pumps on the auxillary fuel tank in the bed it does get a small amount of fuel transfer from tank to tank but not enough to really be noticed used a tank tranfer valve off a ford with factory dual tanks 94 model i think but easy to set up then u can get sticked and run the red:thumbup2:

oh and fuel price slightly over 2.00 a gallon here for the ulsf so feeling good at the pump:tongue:

It could! That is awesome, as soon as I finish fixing what keeps breaking on my truck, I am going to get one of those RDS aluminum 90 gallon tank/toolbox combos from northern tool and plumb it into my system somehow, put a tonneau cover over the bed and viola out of sight and out of mind runnin red.

• Owner

It could! That is awesome, as soon as I finish fixing what keeps breaking on my truck, I am going to get one of those RDS aluminum 90 gallon tank/toolbox combos from northern tool and plumb it into my system somehow, put a tonneau cover over the bed and viola out of sight and out of mind runnin red.

Till you get to Idaho and the pull your fuel filter and the filter is stained red... :ahhh:

An irs agent showed up on one of my jobs in Kissimmee fla wanting to stick everybodies tank. I asked him what the fine was if i did not let him stick my tank. suprisingly the fine was exactly the same for running the fuel, $1,000. that was about 5 years ago. I imagine ther's been a little inflation since then.

What ever happened to probable cause!So is the world now guilty until proven inoccent!How about got a warrent!How about I thought it was someone stealing my fuel so i shot him!oops i didnt know it was in reverse sir sorry I ran over your foot, wow i get that med bill is gonna cost!LOL

As far as I have looked into it, there is NO difference in the Off Road Red Dye diesel and the regular Green Dye diesel except the color of the dye. Green says you have paid road use taxes on it. Red in a licenced vehicle on a public road will get you a huge fine.

they usually frequent the drilling rigs. stick in the tank is their preferred method, tho i have heard stories of checking the fuel filters. i bought my truck from a farmer. it had a 100gal transfer tank in the bed. even after running that think full to empty 5 times, the red was still in there. to find it in the exhaust gasses means they must be dieing heavyohh and LOTS of stories(from ford and chevy guys) about red dye messing those "electronic diesels" up. red dyed fuel has been ran through my truck and has not been a problem :thumbup2: