• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket replacement

30 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Just to be safe check your valve lash soon. You're using used set and your pushrods, things will wear in a little and settle down. My new ones did. :2cents:

Figured I would next weekend. I will . have about 1000 miles on it.

I never saw any mention of re torquing the head bolts like you do the studs. I have to take it that it is not necessary.

Edited by dripley

4 minutes ago, dripley said:

I never say any mention of re torquing the head bolts like you do the studs. I have to take it that it is not necessary.

I believe that's why you go extra 90 degrees and kinda put tension on bolts so they always pulling. And that would make sense 70lb + 90 degrees is close to 150lb so they probably settle to 130ish

• Staff
12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I believe that's why you go extra 90 degrees and kinda put tension on bolts so they always pulling. And that would make sense 70lb + 90 degrees is close to 150lb so they probably settle to 130ish

That's a much higher torque than I understand it to be on the stock bolts. I think it's closer to 110lb/ft. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Funny ARP 425 stud end at 125 foot/pounds...

Based on stud vs bolt, and the application procedure the ARP's will be tighter at 125 than OEM bolts at 125. 

The ARP's will also stretch less for the same amount of cylinder pressure, which is why they can hold more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/11/2019 at 9:35 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Just to be safe check your valve lash soon. You're using used set and your pushrods, things will wear in a little and settle down. My new ones did. :2cents:

I gave to add to this. When installed the used rockers I swapped out the adjusters from the oe to the used ones. Made sure they went back on the same pushrods and the pushrods went back in the same holes. Hopefully they will all be happy to be together again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dripley said:

When installed the used rockers I swapped out the adjusters from the oe to the used ones. Made sure they went back on the same pushrods and the pushrods went back in the same holes

Good thinkin'!

- John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blueox01 said:

Sorry , but I got to ask, after all the FINE work you did, why didn't you paint the head,exhaust manifold etc?

2 reasons. One, i made the better part of 464k miles with it looking like this so I figured whats a couple hundred more. Plus the head looks pretty much like the block. I did however polish all the heads of the head bolts, bet you missed that.

Two, I did buy some high heat ceramic based paint. Guess I should have read the instructions. It required 3 different bakes in the oven at different temps with cooling cycles. Everything was too big for the wifes oven. So it just went back on as it came off. I did paint the tappet cover with the paint but it would not fit either. I noticed when I was fitting the new gasket that it was scrapping the paint off. 

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

• Like 3

I think I am going to let 500k be my million. Should be able to make that just before I retire.

I did clean up the valve cover and took a sander to the brushed aluminum portions and then shot a coat of clear matt finish on it.

• Like 3