• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24v KDP Question and Flywheel Question

On the 24v that I am building it has a KDP and I was planning on making a little tab to keep that pin in its place, but I was wondering if you had to cut some of the case out to to put the tab in and screw the bolt back in flush or if there was a way to do it without cutting any of the case out.

Flywheel question: the flywheel that came off said motor has hot spots on it it appears, being darker blotches here and there. So should I just put that one on there or should I put my old one on that's a little bumpy on the surface where the clutch is applied? Its not terrible by any means but its there. I've heard to not reuse a flywheel that has hotspots but I didn't know if one that was a little bumpy was alright to use.

Anything helps, thanks!

12 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

On the 24v that I am building it has a KDP and I was planning on making a little tab to keep that pin in its place, but I was wondering if you had to cut some of the case out to to put the tab in and screw the bolt back in flush or if there was a way to do it without cutting any of the case out

Never heard of having to cut the case for a KDP tab install. 

14 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Flywheel question: the flywheel that came off said motor has hot spots on it it appears, being darker blotches here and there. So should I just put that one on there or should I put my old one on that's a little bumpy on the surface where the clutch is applied? Its not terrible by any means but its there. I've heard to not reuse a flywheel that has hotspots but I didn't know if one that was a little bumpy was alright to use

You can have the flywheel resurfaced. Did on my first clutch install. Depends on how bad either one of them are.

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

ever heard of having to cut the case for a KDP tab install. 

I saw someone do it on a 12v, not really "cut it" persay but he chiseled a portion out.

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

You can have the flywheel resurfaced. Did on my first clutch install. Depends on how bad either one of them are.

The bumpy one isnt terrible, i just didn't know which one would be better. Machining the one with hotspots on it would fix it and make it useable?

4 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

I saw someone do it on a 12v, not really "cut it" persay but he chiseled a portion out.

I think you remove one of the timing case bolts and put a tab under that bolt that keeps the pin in. IIRC that is. Then just put the cover back on.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

The bumpy one isnt terrible, i just didn't know which one would be better. Machining the one with hotspots on it would fix it and make it useable?

Take them both to a machine shop and see what they think.

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

I think you remove one of the timing case bolts and put a tab under that bolt that keeps the pin in. IIRC that is. Then just put the cover back on.

I thought the timing pin housing was raised above the bolt? I didn't look long at it at all but I thought it was higher than the head of the bolt when screwed all the way in.

8 minutes ago, TheGreatWhite said:

I thought the timing pin housing was raised above the bolt? I didn't look long at it at all but I thought it was higher than the head of the bolt when screwed all the way in.

I dont know for sure, the only one i have is my 02.

20170528_134611.jpg.2f4fa93b3a188aacdfb90e23a9bad0bd.jpg

This is mine. It is an updated caes with stepped that will not let mine work itself out. Not sure what yours might look like.

1 minute ago, dripley said:

I dont know for sure, the only one i have is my 02.

20170528_134611.jpg.2f4fa93b3a188aacdfb90e23a9bad0bd.jpg

This is mine. It is an updated caes with stepped that will not let mine work itself out. Not sure what yours might look like.

I honestly think that's the same thing on both my 99 blocks. Cause there's no way you could get a tab on there and have a flush bolt without chiseling it out. So no need for a tab?

I would be surprised if your 99 had the same case as my 02 so I could not say. I know there is sumple way to fix it but googling seems to show the timing case needs to be removed. If so that is a job with the engine in the truck.

I would be surprised if your 99 had the same case as my 02 so I could not say. I know there is sumple way to fix it but googling seems to show the timing case needs to be removed. If so that is a job with the engine in the truck.

A trick they do on 12vs is just take a punch and punch into it around the pin and it'll push material out in front of it so it wouldn't fall out. Also I forgot to note, I tried putting a magnet over it to pull it out and it didn't come out. 

I would darn sure find a better way than removing the case.

Not planning on it either way. I'll find a fix, but I don't think it'll need to fix it cause of it being raised and I couldn't remove it with a magnet so who knows....

This is what the timing cover from a truck that can have this problem looks like.

I got this picture from an article on Diesel Tech.  The article was by Michael Deulley.

Notice the early timing covers, the surface that the dowel pin is in is on the same plane as one of the bolts. (the bolt is removed in this picture, but you can see the hole for it slightly right and down from the dowel.)  The updated case has a hump that the dowel is in. (like dripley and moparmans picture)

458332718_KDPtimingcase.jpg.a1f7fc7ed938939d3646c4e1d478c842.jpg

HTH 

Hag

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Now in a case like this go down to the local hardware store and buy a fender washer for the bolt that is missing in the photo. Now grind the washer in a tear drop shape and install. Problem fixed. That's all there is to it. But if you case look like mine you are already set. Close up the case and move on.

Image result for mopar1973man kdp tab

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now in a case like this go down to the local hardware store and buy a fender washer for the bolt that is missing in the photo. Now grind the washer in a tear drop shape and install. Problem fixed. That's all there is to it. But if you case look like mine you are already set. Close up the case and move on.

Image result for mopar1973man kdp tab

Ok cool. Thank you very much guys!

Since any year of the 2nd Gens can actually need to be tabbed when I pulled the radiator on my '01 I checked it all out.  Had the stepped case and should be OK but I still didn't trust that it wouldn't back out.  I made stepped tab so I could make sure it couldn't come out.  Also locktited the bolt and gives you chance to locktite all the others you can reach which could come loose and fall out.  Hope to do same on current '02 sometime this spring/summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Russ Roth said:

Since any year of the 2nd Gens can actually need to be tabbed when I pulled the radiator on my '01 I checked it all out.  Had the stepped case and should be OK but I still didn't trust that it wouldn't back out.  I made stepped tab so I could make sure it couldn't come out.  Also locktited the bolt and gives you chance to locktite all the others you can reach which could come loose and fall out.  Hope to do same on current '02 sometime this spring/summer.

Good information! Like I said I couldn't pull it out with a good strength magnet so I think I'll be fine.

13 hours ago, TheGreatWhite said:

Good information! Like I said I couldn't pull it out with a good strength magnet so I think I'll be fine.

You will never pull one out with a magnet unless it's about to fall out, I had a 12 valve and the pin was halfway out, I still couldn't move it with pliers or by hand, it took a punch and a hammer to drive it back home and then I tabbed it.

Like guys mentioned above, if your case is stepped just don't worry about it.

• Like 3