• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

2000 3500 no power,sucks fuel like it's free

47 minutes ago, Karl said:

Could I have the wastegate actuator adjusted  wrong also?

What kind of actuator do you have? Neither of the 2 I have had are adjustable. One was the oe the other is a Banks. I am not familiar with an adjustable wasre gate. They do make boost elbows to do that with. My comp came with one. If you have adjustmet get the pressure down around 20 and see if it helps

4 minutes ago, Karl said:

How can I tell if injectors have ever been changed?  Guess you use a scanner to check  the map sensor ?

Pull them out and see what you have. There should be a part # on the upper body of the injector. Be good to get a look at there condition too.

You will need more than basic scanner to read the sensors,  but they are not expensive. Here is a popular one. Works with your phone or computer.

So due to the fact I'm not running a tuner or a fooler, or a boost elbow, and if I have the wastegate actuator adjusted incorrectly, would that cause it to defuel ?? Not sure how to get a data log. I'm thinking you use a scanner? Closest thing I have is the old snap on brick

I got a new wastegate actuator from thoroughbred Diesel, it's adjustable and due to the fact that I do things wrong on occasion, OK many occasion, and I have a good memory it's just really short, maybe I adjusted that wrong. But by the information I'm getting here it most likely is not the only problem

I don't see a scanner you mentioned.

Posted (edited)

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=asc_df_B00H9S71LW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14645858020923586739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010187&hvtargid=aud-836408683912:pla-433361767800&psc=

Sorry forgot to attach it.

See if you can adjust it where you see about 20 psi and that will take out the ECM defueling.

I dont know anything about the Snap On Brick. It might read them. 

Edited by dripley

Thanks. I will try to scan with what I have. Gonna fix it or burn it down! It needs to haul my slide in camper, (3000lbs) with my Jeep on trailer maybe another 6000 . If I get it to run the way it should I may consider changing axles. Wonder why they never used 373s? Again thanks for your help. I'll be back!

The first 4 years with mine bone factory I pulled a 12k 5th wheel. It was not fast but it pulled it just fine down the interstate at speed. A tuner and RV275's worked wonders on it. 

what did you install

This on the turbo compressor cover?

tst01-42__38583.1419331053.400.400.gif

Or 

This on the exhaust housing.

BigHead_comp__72799.1379790209.jpg

we also need to clarify what you mean by "slow" 0-60 in 15-20 seconds is pretty normal for a stock 2nd gen.

these trucks are ANYTHING but fast.   They can pull a good load, but they do it slow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karl said:

How can I tell if injectors have ever been changed? 

Have the injectors removed and sent into DAP they can pin test the injector nozzles for size. There is no other way being that stock bodies might have aftermarket nozzles. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Karl said:

Waste gate actuator came from Thoroughbred Diesel unsure of the brand name but I know it's adjustable.

Meaningless without a tuner. If you can't boost fool then the fuel will be cut when the ECM see too much boost.

I would not put 3.55 in a dully personally, I would put bigger tires like I mentioned before. And if you're planning on staying stock I would not waste money on checking injectors, get a new set of rv275 and a boost fooler. If you can get 30ish psi out of it, should be good for what you're doing. Make sure to check for boost leaks with soapy water. Take intake tube off turbo, make adapter to go to compressor, pressurize to 20-25 psi and go around spraying soap. Especially you said you messed with turbo, they don't always seal very well. First picture is back side of turbo leaking air. Second picture is a fernco for a plug and I'm playing with boost elbo/actuator, later I gave up on it and plugged the hole in turbo, no more wastegate for me. I control boost with qwadzila. 5974d5664120b_2017-07-2311_52_07.jpg.070d68d52f587fd4340781ceeb8da59b.jpg5974d56cf116e_2017-07-2311_56_58.jpg.7d451c22d911c45064859a0fbfa03ce5.jpg

I'm also for not messing with having stock injectors checked. They're a wear part replace them.

Aswell as locking waste gate closed. I control boost with my right foot.

I ran 7x09 injectors for a few years with no boost fooler on computer end. Added a quadzilla boost fooler recently and holy shot. Boost went from just over 20 to 35+ instantly and egts went down noticably 

Remember one thing... Boost does NOT create power. Excessive boost does nothing. 

FUEL makes power and the boost is created keeps the EGT's in check. Yes, you need a Quadzilla (or a tuner of some sort), then the boost elbow, and a good set of injectors (if you have 100k or more miles on yours).

• Like 1

Thanks. I will try to scan with what I have. Gonna fix it or burn it down! It needs to haul my slide in camper, (3000lbs) with my Jeep on trailer maybe another 6000 . If I get it to run the way it should I may consider changing axles. Wonder why they never used 373s? Again thanks for your help. Wrote this yesterday,

So if I am understanding this correctly, if I add a boost fooler,, it will stop throwing over boost code and give it  more fuel ,which will stop the over boost code from reappearing?  Again, I can't explain any better how gutless this thing is. I know it's not fast but it should pull and it barely pulls itself empty. Also I agree about not messing with injectors.  I will see if they are the orig.ones. Kinda thinking they are. And it might be past time to go ,but I have to say again this TRUCK all ways starts instantly and runs smooth. Seems if injectors were bad it would idle rough??

My 1ton has 3.55s and I run 35" tires I cruise at 1800rpm at 70mph. I have no lack of power. 

Your truck sounds similar to mine when its factory I injectors were plugged up. On  the freeway I was lucky to get any kind of decent fuel mileage also lucky to get up 70 and maintain it.

I now have 100hp injectors boost fooler then added a tunner. Now it has gobs of power can  cruise at any speed I want on most all grades I pull. And gets alot bettet fuel mileage.  It's now a fun truck to drive power on demand when needed

10 hours ago, Karl said:

if I add a boost fooler,, it will stop throwing over boost code and give it  more fuel ,which will stop the over boost code from reappearing?

Yes but you'll still suffer without a full tuner. The ECM will be retarded in timing. Cummins wrote the timing table pretty retarded to keep cylinder pressures down but MPG are rather low. Just being able to add some timing will boost the MPG's. I tip the scale at 17,000 pouns and 52 foot long with my RV and still do 13 o 14 MPG.

I get ringht at 11.5 out of mine running the interstates aroind 65 mph . Grossing right at 23k like this.

post-10340-138698193093_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Last trip was 13 MPG from Parma, ID back to home in New Meadows, ID.

Image result for mopar1973man rv scale

Quadzilla running my "Economy Tune" which needed a bit of tweak to work correctly. Which now I have I need to know about building a good towing tune.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, OmahaGen2 said:

12mpg in town empty..this sucks

What size tires are you running?

What gear ratio do you have?

What injectors do you have? How many miles on these injectors?

My last trip down the interstate I84 at 82 MPH twisting 2,500 RPM I rolled 19.58 MPG. My runs back and forth to Ontario, OR I net typically 21 MPG.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Posted (edited)

12 mpg in the city with a 7000 LB hunk of steel sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Edited by kzimmer
Spelling

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

12 mpg in the city with a 7000 LB hunk of steel sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Not really. 12 MPG is something you should see towing 8,000 pound trailer.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I het about 14 around town with stop and go driving grossing about 7500.  Not unhappy with this. My 96 had a V10 in it and got about 7 mpg.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not really. 12 MPG is something you should see towing 8,000 pound trailer.

Unless you are towing in the city full time and not on the highway, you are comparing apples and oranges. 

55 minutes ago, dripley said:

I het about 14 around town with stop and go driving grossing about 7500.  Not unhappy with this. My 96 had a V10 in it and got about 7 mpg.

Sounds great to me. Vary the weight a little bit, maybe a slightly heavier foot, more or less stop and go traffic, varying temperatures, varying quality of fuel, 12 mpg is not out of the realm of possibility.