• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Pressure Running High

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Evan said:

I've seen high pressure so I changed oil and filter. Right back to normal after change.

KISS

That would more than likely be from old, thick oil rather than filter issues as the OE sender is post filter. 

• Like 1

Dunno. 

If hes close to oil change it's worth a shot.

Keep oil, coolant, fuel rubber side down let everyone else worry about the small details

Heck freak mike out and drop 3 quarts off atf in the motor then runn for a few days then change the oil. 

Better yet get a cheap 5 gallon bucket of tractor fluid from wallmart. Drain old oil refill with it. Run for a few days then drop tractor fluid and change oil and filter. 

Just dont put water in it that's not good on bearings but also not the end of the world 

• Like 1

• Owner

Easier yet. Go get the engine nice on hot for the evening come back home. Now drop the drain plug and the oil filter. Go to bed. Get up in the morning. Install a fresh oil filter and the drain plug and load with 11 quarts. The 12 hours of drip time really does make a difference in getting all the oil out. Looks nearly factory fresh clean like the day the truck was manufactured. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and ideas. I have oil et all on the way.

I’ll change the oil and filter and do some more measuring and let ya’ll know if that solves it.

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Old tymer engine flush. Been there done that...

This one guy I know in his 60s works on diesel engines said he drains oil and puts diesel fuel in for flushing. All the waste he burns in winter in his oil furnace. 

Not sure if using fuel is good enough but works for him i guess. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

This one guy I know in his 60s works on diesel engines said he drains oil and puts diesel fuel in for flushing. All the waste he burns in winter in his oil furnace. 

Not sure if using fuel is good enough but works for him i guess. 

Sounds like a party!!!

I'm thinking I'll run some MMO in it before changing the oil etc.  I've heard that can help clean things up a bit.

7 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Honestly from what I read in your posts you take care of your truck and don't neglect stuff. I would just change oil and filter and see what happens. If your oil is somewhat new, then just change the filter. What filter brand ate you using. 

I'm rather OCD about my truck, that much is true.

The branding on what is installed is out of view, I think it's an Affinia by WIX.

The only one I can get where I'm at is a Napa filter also made by WIX.

What do you like?

It's about time for an oil change anyway so I may as well do the do.  It's easy enough to take care of.

Edited by leety

8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Still need to know what the warm pressures are. 

Still not seeing how a filter can increase pressure after the filter. Not sure it’s physically possible.  

I agree I'll be able to circle back around to all of this tomorrow or the next day and will post warm temps, but they are going up not down.

1 minute ago, AH64ID said:

You’re saying that as the temp increases so does the pressure? 

According to my dash guage, which has been confirmed to be accurate by comparing it to a mechanical gauge, that is correct.

And when the RPM increases so does the pressure as well.

I need to take the Dragon out to heat her up to confirm this and then measure the hot pressure with a mechanical gauge, which I have yet to do.

I'll do a bit more testing, then toss in some MMO and then change the oil with an overnight evacuation method per mopoar1973man.

At least that's the plan of the moment.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:30 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Easier yet. Go get the engine nice on hot for the evening come back home. Now drop the drain plug and the oil filter. Go to bed. Get up in the morning. Install a fresh oil filter and the drain plug and load with 11 quarts. The 12 hours of drip time really does make a difference in getting all the oil out. Looks nearly factory fresh clean like the day the truck was manufactured. 

Can you tell me the torque setting for the drain plug please?