• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Few new to cummins questions

I haven't had my truck long only done a few upgrades. Got a few questions I have been slowly replacing my vacuum lines after finding them with holes. My question is why does sometime I have more blowby then others and yes its warmed up sometimes it's nothing coming out vent tube and sometimes it steaming pretty decent. I did the cap upside down test and it doesn't move and it doesn't tea kettle. What would cause this? Next question is I changed my oil with 15w 40 delo 400 after driving 1000 miles the oil is still clean and clear I'm use to diesel oil being black soon as u crank it and check it. Is this ok or something wrong? Last question is I had a intercooler boot cut I took it off to replace it noticed it had a nice coat of oil inside the boot so I'm thinking a turbo rebuild is in the near future but my question is do i need to try to wash my intercooler out ? Sorry for the long write up and very much appreciate any help

Edited by yazoomudd88
Mistype

• Owner
14 hours ago, yazoomudd88 said:

My question is why does sometime I have more blowby then others and yes its warmed up sometimes it's nothing coming out vent tube and sometimes it steaming pretty decent. I did the cap upside down test and it doesn't move and it doesn't tea kettle.

As long as your not venting oil your fine...

image.jpeg

Next question is I changed my oil with 15w 40 delo 400 after driving 1000 miles the oil is still clean and clear I'm use to diesel oil being black soon as u crank it and check it. Is this ok or something wrong?

Nothing is wrong the engine is in good condition. Little soot coming past the rings and good long drain periods can net clean oil for quite a while.

Last question is I had a intercooler boot cut I took it off to replace it noticed it had a nice coat of oil inside the boot so I'm thinking a turbo rebuild is in the near future but my question is do i need to try to wash my intercooler out ?

Would be a good suggestion to wash out the intercooler so it doesn't cake up in time. Also consider rebuilding the turbo. Turbo rebuild kits are super cheap like 50 to 70 bucks and fairly easy to do.

• Staff

Yep my wifes car we bought used had a K&N oiled filter. While it only had 98K miles the intake tubes and intake system had a sticky dirty oil coating. I had to clean all that out. I hesitated to throw out the K&N sitting on the shelf, but after a year laying there I tossed it

We got a deal though as the car was considered to have very high miles, but with her work only 3 miles away it became a low miles car within a few short years.

Everytime you wash a washable filter, the filter membrane breaks down a little each time. Plus any filter that needs to have oil saturating the filter will coat your intake and let fine dust pass thru.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Just like there is the washable oil filter...

image.jpeg

Just too risky to use any washable filter. Every time you wash the filter the media is being broke down and then possibly putting dirt and debris on the wrong side of the filter causing engine damage. Like most of use toss dirt filters in the trash and install a fresh filter and filter media. My turbo right now is spotless after 250k miles of driving. My BHAF cost about 50 dollars and last over 150k miles and never needs to be washed. 

405k miles and still clocking miles... 1,200 a week.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

21 hours ago, yazoomudd88 said:

I have a s&b cold air intake that's brand new. I just installed it and it came pre oiled. 

Was it dirty before you installed it, how long did you have the truck. Mine came with that pos k&n and I used it for first year because I didn't know any better. My turbo also had some dirt on it, then I got BHAF and cleaned the turbo as good as I could and it stayed clean afterwards. 

Maybe clean it and get BHAF and see what happens before doing any turbo work. On normal use these holset turbos last a very long time some have way over 500k 

Looking at your picture is kind of hard to tell, it does look like a seal may be leaking if so you'd want to get it fixed asap, at same time if you had oiled filters on there and there is no shaft play it may be just junk from the filter. 

Btw even my new turbo has some shaft play up and down, that's normal, in and out should be 0 by feel. 

I got the truck 3 months ago it only has 202,000 miles it had a cheap autozone spectre oilable filter attached to the stock hose when I first got it so I went and bought a s&b it was dirty when I got it I cleaned up and drove 200 miles with the new setup and it looks like the picture above.

I put a K& N on mine the 2nd year of ownership and ran ot ner 6 years. I never saw that much oil on mine the entire time it as on there. I even sprayed more oil on mine between cleanings, about every 50k or so. When I cleaned it, I soaked in the cleaner and agitated the filter in the clener, then rinsed with a garden hose with no nozzle on it at low pressure.             

I like @Dieselfuture did not know any better. Have since swithced to a BHAF also. To me they are much easier to deal with. I seemed to have suffered no ill effects from this though. I just replaced the head gasket and the cylinders were beautiful. This was around 465k and ton of idling hours. 492k right and still running great. I think cleaning the filter properly made the difference. This is just my experience but I would not go back to one.                                                                             

• Like 1