• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Green Bean Thinkin'.........

JAG1

• Staff

It has been said that an acre of forest supports 18 people with enough oxygen to live. So if trees are such a great filter, i.e. taking in carbon monoxide and other micro pollutants and producing oxygen for everyone, do you think we could call them the earths Big Honkin Air filter? I put that in there so you guys might wake up :). Anyhow thinking of this 'green solution for pollution as in the use of electric vehicles, you know there is no such thing as a free lunch as in the ramifications of battery waste, chemicals, nuclear waste from electricity..... Wouldn't make more sense to plant and take care of our forest lands and trees? Make more sense to use a fuel that can be filtered, as in Diesel :drool:?

Penny for your thoughts :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
5 hours ago, kzimmer said:

I saw a Netflix nature documentary once that said the rainforest (I don't remember which one) only produces enough oxygen to sustain itself, and the wildlife living within in.

I just did a search and says one acre of forest produces enough oxygen to support 18 people for a year. Also says a mature leafy tree produces 260 lbs of oxygen per year. Enough to support a family of four.

I'm interested if we are talking about a possible solution, since a giant filter system would put out what we need to sustain life..... So the real question is do plants and trees act also as a giant filter to clean the air? I think the answer is yes.

Much better than depending on electricity production when no one knows what to do with nuclear waste. Battery waste is a whole other issue for land and water.

Far better than gov't taxes to pay for carbon use since It's obvious more money would have to flow thru the economy to pay that tax, the more dependant we become on waste and pollution to pay for that additional money flow. My argument is for continued use of fossil fuels and energy efficiency with increased respect and preservation of forest lands. Not a proposal that sends the economy into a nosedive, the likes of which have never been seen before.

I think AOC needs more education before setting an agenda of more money flowing to the Gov't as a solution. God has provided everything we need if we just respect and enhance what's been given to us. Folks like AOC would set herself up as an environmental dictator when in actuality God is in control. Always will be. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

I just did a search and says one acre of forest produces enough oxygen to support 18 people for a year.

Probably true. But you'd have to destroy all non plant life inside said forest to reap the benefits of the extra oxygen. But the plant and non plant life rely on each other, so you can't.

Also keep in mind that too much oxygen in the atmosphere isn't necessarily a good thing. Theoretically.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

So the real question is do plants and trees act also as a giant filter to clean the air? I think the answer is yes.

Depends what you mean by cleaning air. If you mean reducing carbon dioxide and increasing oxygen, then I suppose the answer is yes.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, I just don't understand how planting trees will help me fill my tank for my morning commute.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Much better than depending on electricity production when no one knows what to do with nuclear waste.

Yeah that's a tough one. Other than shooting it into space, there is literally no way to make it disappear on our planet in our lifetime.

To me, sustainability means population control. At the rate world population and energy demand is growing, things are not sustainable.

• Staff
1 hour ago, kzimmer said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying, I just don't understand how planting trees will help me fill my tank for my morning commute.

Suns energy fuels photosynthesis that takes in carbon monoxide, along with micro air pollutants in the air from your truck and other sources, Right? Then those pollutants ending up on the plant that washes down with rain and getting broken down in the soils. So if trees and plants and trees are helping to sustain a livable planet you won't have to pay AOC carbon tax that takes away your money for fuel. See? I knew there was a connection. :thumb1: However, I am assuming a lot of things not certain of. That's why the discussion.

IBMobile lives next door to AOCs' cousin and has a smoke switch especially installed for morning warm ups.:USflag: There is a picture somewhere.

Edited by JAG1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Suns energy fuels photosynthesis that takes in carbon monoxide, along with micro air pollutants in the air from your truck and other sources, Right?

Negative. Carbon Dioxide, not Carbon Monoxide.

Personally, I don't think the carbon tax has much to do with the environment. I think environmental issues (or rather the media involvement in environmental issues, real or not) are just being used an an excuse. I think maybe it's mostly political, and just another excuse for Uncle Sam (and whatever the Canadian version is) to stick his hands deeper into our pockets. Flavour of the month type thing. Although it's a strong flavour and a long *** month. More like a lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Also keep in mind that too much oxygen in the atmosphere isn't necessarily a good thing.

Then they would slap an oxygen tax on us.

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

IBMobile lives next door to AOCs' cousin and has a smoke switch especially installed for morning warm ups.

One of my Volvos warming up in the morning.

1895462292_hqdefault2.jpg.9c8fccce3b46c8f9b6b5fa9d563419f0.jpg

• Like 1

• Staff
13 hours ago, JAG1 said:

perfect, Thanks IBMobile :thumb1:

Okay its carbon dioxide then so why aren't we overwhelmed with carbon monoxide it in our atmosphere from fossil fuels? Where is it going and why isn't it a problem?

Slowly and naturally carbon monoxide becomes carbon dioxide with other compounds in the air... so it's a self healing problem. 

While vehicle emissions do create CO they are not the only source. Wildfires and volcanoes are major contributors to atmospheric CO. The earth has been dealing with CO long before we started burning fossil fuels, and will continue to deal with it long after were extinct. 

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Our local weather man has shown examples of what is called, 'a heat island' when on the radar it shows no rain falling in the city, but does precipitate all the surrounding areas.

Another example, When driving on warm days you can feel temperatures dropping when coming into rural areas with lots of greenery.

I have a place in a forested around me and even though I'm at a lower elevation than a quarter mile away, I can have 8 inches of snow, drive out and it's only an inch or two even though higher up out on the road. Most have cut a large potion of their trees out there and I think has something to do with it.

This all speculation on my part but I do know that cooler means more rain generally speaking and I cannot explain what's happening in Australia :shrug:..... it's hotter than ever there.

• Staff

I know we will always have climate change..... I just don't like the increased fire danger everywhere in the world.

BTW, what happened to all that water from the ice age? Is it getting lost in space? Think about that! everywhere seems to have less water lower streams and lakes. It is baffling and it must be happening since the ice age. Look at the deserts with oceanic fossils everywhere. Its baffling.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

BTW, what happened to all that water from the ice age?

In the ocean I suppose?

24 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Everywhere seems to have less water lower streams and lakes.

I guess this makes sense depending on the situation. For example, a single glacier up in the mountains could have been feeding multiple streams, rivers, lakes, etc. for decades, even centuries. For example, in the Columbia Icefields between Jasper and Banff National Parks in Canada, there is one particular mountain range that delivers water directly to something like 3 different oceans in 3 different directions.

Soon there will be no ice left, and that water source will be gone. To me, it's just the way it is. Can't put the ice back. Some day most of the ice on the planet will be gone. And then, there will probably be another ice age at some point. Lather, rinse, repeat. Life starts over and the next batch of Humans can invent a better lift pump and front end when they design their version of the 2nd gen dodge trucks. :truck: :sofa:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Life starts over and the next batch of Humans can invent a better lift pump and front end when they design their version of the 2nd gen dodge trucks. :truck: :sofa:

Maybe they can excavate an acient dealership with FSM's they have find a Rosetta stone to decypher. Like our Egyption ancestors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Staff

Sorry, Dripley, don't know what got into me on that one Bud.... I just couldn't leave that beer sit there, you know.

I do believe in God and Our Son of God Jesus Christ, blessed be his name, and at the same time think he is in control of what ultimately happens down here on earth. Not the Gov't, not folks like AOC. I do believe the stage is being set for the end times more so now than any other time. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Sorry, Dripley, don't know what got into me on that one Bud.... I just couldn't leave that beer sit there, you know.

I do believe in God and Our Son of God Jesus Christ, blessed be his name, and at the same time think he is in control of what ultimately happens down here on earth. Not the Gov't, not folks like AOC. I do believe the stage is being set for the end times more so now than any other time. 

Dont sweat it my friend. Just enjoy the beer as much as I enjoyed the laugh.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, JAG1 said:

I know we will always have climate change..... I just don't like the increased fire danger everywhere in the world.

Edit

Here toss this in there too

https://www.google.com/search?q=ocean+level+history+last+100+years&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiSo-SHgYvnAhXBbc0KHUSWBOkQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=ocean+level+history+last+100+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.1.0.33i299l3.7989.10955..12118...0.0..0.298.1590.0j9j1......0....1.........0i30.hEdd5doXabg&ei=i9ohXtKxFsHbtQbErJLIDg&bih=560&biw=360&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=nisv#imgrc=LvL9daSwN71BiM

On 1/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, kzimmer said:

I saw a Netflix nature documentary once that said the rainforest (I don't remember which one) only produces enough oxygen to sustain itself, and the wildlife living within in.

"If you don't watch the news you're not informed if you watch the news you're misinformed"

BTW, what happened to all that water from the ice age?

Never happened 

Look at the deserts with oceanic fossils everywhere. Its baffling.

Happened according to the Bible

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 2