• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quad and assassin

made a start tonight after work, fitting the cranks drive adaptor, here's an easy way of holding the crank to remove the 4 bolts, I usually use stilsons, maybe you call them pipe wrenches but  I broke my small set not too long ago, pictures aren't great as it's dark ish but anything will work if it has adjustable jaws 90 degrees to the handle, doesn't damage the damper as it just adds a little resistance, any size damper can be held just find bigger stilsons

20200121_174445[1].jpg

20200121_174407[1].jpg

Got the drive hub mounted then went onto mounting the bracket onto the front of engine, it mounts onto the sump rail using the 2 middle front bolts, the bracket is shaped to sit flat to the sump flange down in the groove,  got it fitted but It didn't feel right so I took it off again and noticed my sump is slightly off to one side on the holes which meant  one end of the bracket was sitting on the raised strengthening lip so I need to grind a little off of the bracket in this area to allow it to seat down properly. There is nothing wrong with the shape of the bracket it's my sump that has been bolted down slighly off, the grinding won't be visible so no big deal. Something to check as while torque is only 18lbft it felt like the one bolt could have stripped in the front case,luckily I only got to 7lbft before I noticed it didn't feel right so no harm done

Spent an hour or so on it last night and while setting up the pulleys I noticed the crank pulley sitting too far out for my liking as the pump shaft has a flat milled on it for grub screw to locate but the flat could do with being another 1/4" longer then both pulleys could sit further onto their respective shafts so I ground the pump flat a little longer ( not worried about warranty as pump will be fine I just want the pulley to stay on) I'm going to loctite the pulley grubscrews tonight although the crank pulley uses 2 x1.5 mm allen key grubscrews which looks real easy to get to.... not!    Then start dropping FTank

Got the tank dropped and the module out, nice and clean no water or slime, my truck hasn't got an in tank pump so fitting the drawstraw was nice and easy, got 4 days off from tomorrow night so ought to have the fuel system and the quad all done

• Like 2

Fuel tank back in today, assassin piped up, decided to fit the pressure regulator right at the VP instead of right at the assassin as in the instructions, this means my fuel filter is pressurized and not on the suction side, I'll see how it goes, it's a Cat filter so I have no concerns about it being able to withstand 20psi or so.

It appears I am not able to use the long filter and primer head as there is not enough room down to the starter i'll just research a shorter filter element later, Cat will do one for sure.

I'm not going to bother with a water seperator as there was NO water anywhere in the tank or lines and no slime to indicate there has ever been water this is at 156k, I did notice a few sparklies in the fuel tank after it was totally MT, this could have come from the Fass that is now in the bin or the VP, we'll see.

Got to put some fuel in it and bleed the system and also figure out the FP gauge supply but all in all happy with the assassin and what comes in the box and if I could figure out how to tag DAP I would........ someone   quad tomorrow

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wil440 said:

Fuel tank back in today, assassin piped up, decided to fit the pressure regulator right at the VP instead of right at the assassin as in the instructions, this means my fuel filter is pressurized and not on the suction side, I'll see how it goes, it's a Cat filter so I have no concerns about it being able to withstand 20psi or so.

It appears I am not able to use the long filter and primer head as there is not enough room down to the starter i'll just research a shorter filter element later, Cat will do one for sure.

I'm not going to bother with a water seperator as there was NO water anywhere in the tank or lines and no slime to indicate there has ever been water this is at 156k, I did notice a few sparklies in the fuel tank after it was totally MT, this could have come from the Fass that is now in the bin or the VP, we'll see.

Got to put some fuel in it and bleed the system and also figure out the FP gauge supply but all in all happy with the assassin and what comes in the box and if I could figure out how to tag DAP I would........ someone   quad tomorrow

@dieselautopower

Glad you like the pump.  We keep spare parts in stock for them. 

We have more kits in stock if anyone wants a mechanical pump for their truck.

2 hours ago, wil440 said:

Glad you like the pump.  We keep spare parts in stock for them. 

We have more kits in stock if anyone wants a mechanical pump for their truck.

finished the assassin and the quad instal this morning, fuel bled up ok with a drill, FP is about 7psi at idle and 25psi at around 2k, really nice to see FP increasing with rpm instead of going the opposite way, going to try the smaller pulley on the fuel pump to see if I can get idle pressure a little higher but will need a slightly smaller belt to do that which is no problem as the belt will be available here I'm sure, It is possible I put the wrong pulley on the crank but we'll see.

Quad install was easy enough, looks a bit complicated at first but easy once the loom is laid out.

There was some concern by the guys at DAP about UK phones and tablets having a bluetooth connection problem, I have a samsung 7" diag tablet thats maybe 5 years old and this connects first time every time without fail without having to do anything except open the quad app, If I shut the truck off and then restart it just reconnects so well happy about that.

Now just got to learn how to build a tune, I don't need 500hp or anywhere near as for 1 the AT is stock as far as I know and 2 been there and done HP now I just want MPG and reliability.

It's worth the cost certainly here in the UK to see whats going on with temps and pressures

Edited by wil440

Your pressure should be in 18-20 range no matter what, maybe something is screwed up in return. Sounds like it's a common problem, unless like you said wrong pulley, but wrong pulley if slow at idle it won't go to 25psi when reving it up ether.

Tunes are easy to build, first you need to understand what everything does in parameters. 

51 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Your pressure should be in 18-20 range no matter what, maybe something is screwed up in return. Sounds like it's a common problem, unless like you said wrong pulley, but wrong pulley if slow at idle it won't go to 25psi when reving it up ether.

Tunes are easy to build, first you need to understand what everything does in parameters. 

I've thought about the low idle pressure and I have got the pulleys the wrong way round, the regulator will keeps psi to 25 no matter what, if I swap pulleys around then it will build more psi at idle but the 25psi reg limit will be hit sooner, going to swap them in the morning as it's nearly dark here now

• Like 1

I’m not familiar with the Assassin but the 17-18 psi would be a good target. The 7 -25 psi sounds way to much of a pressure swing but you maybe on the right track by switching pulleys. Did the Assassin come with different pulleys? On the FuelBoss the 24t is on the pump and a 12t. Is on the crank. that makes for 16psi at idle and 18 at wot.

Also don’t know if Assassin requires it but the fuelboss is adjusted  with a very loose belt, but once roatating it tightens itself up, the deep ribs on the belt keep it from slipping. This eliminates strain on the pump  

1 hour ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I’m not familiar with the Assassin but the 17-18 psi would be a good target. The 7 -25 psi sounds way to much of a pressure swing but you maybe on the right track by switching pulleys. Did the Assassin come with different pulleys? On the FuelBoss the 24t is on the pump and a 12t. Is on the crank. that makes for 16psi at idle and 18 at wot.

Also don’t know if Assassin requires it but the fuelboss is adjusted  with a very loose belt, but once roatating it tightens itself up, the deep ribs on the belt keep it from slipping. This eliminates strain on the pump  

Ye the Assassin comes with 3 pulleys of which 2 are the same but different number of teeth, and yes the belt is the same style, doesn't need to be tight

swapped the pulley on the FP for the smaller one, the belt is too slack but it runs and fuel pressure is now 12 at idle and 25 max

This means I've put the wrong pulley on the crank, this pulley has tiny allen screws so going to have to remove the adaptor to get the pulley off and swapped because me being an idiot loctited these  grub screws in and they now won't come out, I'm going to use the larger pulley on the crank and it's smaller twin on the fp, this will be better as these 2 pulleys have bigger grub screws, this is probably all because I put my regulator right at the vp and not at the assassin as the instructions show, although it does say the fuel system can be designed lots of different ways to suit the application

Where are you measuring your fuel pressure at?

I would be very reluctant to mount anything directly or near the VP. 

here is how mine is plumbed, the bypass valve is used for a regulator mounted in the return to tank, this keeps the fuel pressure going to filter at a steady 16-18 psi

52884B42-9257-443B-98EE-2C0493511F7E.jpeg

I changed the position of the regulator tonight and put it right at the pump where the instructions say to put it, I now have 13psi at idle and still 25 at 2k, it builds pressure from 13 straight away, I have a Cat filter head with a ultra high efficiency Cat filter, my guage is in a spare fuel out fitting in the filter head so it's on the same side of the filter medium as the line to the vp just in the opposite port, I'm going to see what part number a normal micron filter is tomorrow, I won't be using one of these in the long term but I may just try one to see what happens to the fuel pressure, i'll bet it will be all ok, I'm also going to swap pulleys around to speed the pump up some.

I think with the high efficiency filter I'm going to need to speed the pump up a little