• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine died driving down the road won't start.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, Cummins_Crazy said:

Can you starve the VP with big injectors if you let off the throttle to fast? 

Yes, that's why you see big guys keep reving it up few times after a race. Mine came close a few times, like it wanted to die but didn't. I have a mild set up and still i could tell it didn't like it. Could be a weak vp, who knows. I was about to change mine when I first got the truck thinking it was going out and it been 10 years since lol. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

Go for a short run and shut it down open the fuel cap slowly and listen for an air hissing sound. Could have clogged tank vent that starves the vp after enough suction builds in the tank. Also did you remove the screens in the tank? Mine were 1/3 clogged at 190,000. Cut those out and add a prefilter before the lift pump. Also on your Lift pump some had a small mesh screen inserted into the inlet side. Get needle nose and pull that out and throw away see if it is dirty.

Crazy,

Just keep a couple wrenches under the seat.  You can bleed it on the side of the road if you have to.  completely beats any of the alternatives.   The big thing is if you are on it hard, don't come off of it hard. 

Keep looking, there was another discussion on here about this same subject.  I think the consensus was that the dynamic compression ratio of the cylinder was enough to push compressed air backwards into the injectors.   I am not sure if I agree, but I have not run the numbers to get an idea.

GL

Hag

• Like 2