• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed mechanical lift pump but....

• Staff
1 hour ago, niebs_22 said:

I assume this means that I did not put enough RTV on the bolts or that I didn't tighten them down. So that's what I will be working on next.

I had the same problem with an oil leak after I put my Fuel Boss on. The oil is not coming out of the bolt holes but from between the pan, gasket and block.  I retightened the bolts to the FSM 18 FT-LB (215 IN-LB) and the leak stopped.

I used zip ties too; bought a bag of the at Harbor Fright and zip tied the heck out of the hoses.  I almost never cut the end of a zip tie when done; it keeps from turning them into little razors.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

I had the same problem with an oil leak after I put my Fuel Boss on. The oil is not coming out of the bolt holes but from between the pan, gasket and block.  I retightened the bolts to the FSM 18 FT-LB (215 IN-LB) and the leak stopped.

I used zip ties too; bought a bag of the at Harbor Fright and zip tied the heck out of the hoses.  I almost never cut the end of a zip tie when done; it keeps from turning them into little razors.   

You mean you are not supposed to bleed while sticking your hands and arms into weird places? I see to stick mine where the zip ties aren't. And no it has nothing to do with chicken coops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't have any oil leaks with my fuel boss mech pump setup, but when I set it up I had also at the same time setup a new power steering pump and I rebuilt the vacuum pump. Turns out that damn vaccum pump housing was leaking a small about, on the inside near the block where it bolts up to the back of the timing case. At the time I used a neoprene coated gasket and I was told by the vendor that no RTV/sealant was needed and it would not leak. Damn thing started leaking right away, just a little bit, enough to drip down onto the oil pan and at first I thought it was the fuel pump to oil pan mount. Still leaking to this day and eventually oil is all over the oil pan running all the way back to the trans adaptor plate. UGH! I hate oil leaks. . Haven't had a chance to fix it, pain to remove that vacuum pump / ps assy. When I do I'm going to get a new gasket and will use RTV this time, at least on the inside near the block. 

On another note, regarding your fuel boss setup, be aware eventually all of the parker 7212 fuel hose will need to be replaced. The other day I was setting up a push lock Tee inline on the bigline fuel feed line for my 1/8npt fuel press sending unit. I noticed the parker 7212 hose was in bad shape, cracked and dry. (I installed it in 2013). It wasn't leaking but who knows how long before it would. Pic attached.

Also, when it comes time to change your parker 7212 hose, do not cut it off the push lock fittings with a razor knife. The knife will ruin the barbs on the fitting. You need to melt/burn them off. I made this youtub vid to show how to do it:

parker 7212 hose dry crack .jpg

Edited by Ironforger
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Well, just checked my oil pan bolts and they are all loose, going to re torque them to 18ftlb. No wonder my oil pan is wet, thanks for bringing this up.

• Staff
On 4/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, IBMobile said:

He cuts his arm on purpose so his wife lets him have the rest he needs.

Both my trucks, one at 30,000, had oil pan leaks. After retorquing them they stopped and I was able to clean everything up.

Edited by JAG1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:51 AM, Ironforger said:

Turns out that damn vaccum pump housing was leaking a small about, on the inside near the block where it bolts up to the back of the timing case. At the time I used a neoprene coated gasket and I was told by the vendor that no RTV/sealant was needed and it would not leak. Damn thing started leaking right away, just a little bit, enough to drip down onto the oil pan and at first I thought it was the fuel pump to oil pan mount. Still leaking to this day and eventually oil is all over the oil pan running all the way back to the trans adaptor plate. UGH! I hate oil leaks. . Haven't had a chance to fix it, pain to remove that vacuum pump / ps assy. When I do I'm going to get a new gasket and will use RTV this time, at least on the inside near the block. 

I used a gasket between the vacuum pump and timing cover case and it leaked as well.  I removed the gasket and used RTV sealant only.  No leaks and that was a few years ago.   My thought is that having only a 2-bolt flange mount over such a large diameter hole doesn't provide the rigidity needed to ensure a good seal.  I think the gasket compresses at the ears of he mounting flange, but not so much around rest of the flange.

- John

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I used a gasket between the vacuum pump and timing cover case and it leaked as well.  I removed the gasket and used RTV sealant only.  No leaks and that was a few years ago.   My thought is that having only a 2-bolt flange mount over such a large diameter hole doesn't provide the rigidity needed to ensure a good seal.  I think the gasket compresses at the ears of he mounting flange, but not so much around rest of the flange.

- John

Ahhh! Thanks  @Tractorman Nice to hear feedback from someone who's hammered out this issue.

I found it ironic at the time since the Vendor I got the power steering pump and Vacuum pump rebuild kit from insisted not to use RTV. His actual word were "It's Neoprene coated, it won't leak"

I'll take it apart when I get a change and  I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks again!

4 hours ago, Joe_Pool said:

When I installed my vacuum pump/power steering pump I used Permatex High Tack adhesive on both sides of the timing cover to pump gasket -- no leaks after 4 years.

That was a good choice.  I am sure that the Permatex is doing the sealing, not the gasket.

- John