• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 2500 Rapid Torque Converter Cycling

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 with just a little under 320,000 miles. When I bought the pickup last year I drove it home and it started doing the rapid torque converter cycling. When I got home I cleaned all the battery terminals. No help. I zip tied the ground wire to the frame of the alternator and it cured it. Then I was getting random dead pedals for about five seconds and I finally just got around to doing the ground relocation on the drivers side of the engine. I left the charge wire to the PDC because I’m not sure how to delete that (if anyone could give me input on that too that would be great). Now that I did the ground relocation I have intermittent dead pedals and torque converter surge again, as well as kicking out of overdrive. I just had the transmission rebuilt about a thousand miles ago too. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Correct, that is the mod I did. I tried following W-T’s thread to a T. I just got confused when it got to the point where he relocated the charge wire. Do you just leave the other side of the 150 amp fuse in the pdc open? I understand there has to be a 150 amp breaker in line to the battery in case of a short or over current, I just get lost when it comes to the PDC. Thanks!

Edited by Bfranz
Added info

Check out this link to a post I did when I was going to move my charge wire.  There's some good info in there on lug sizes (from @IBMobile) and some links to some good breakers to use.  I also have some pics of what mine looks like now.  Its super easy to do and shouldn't take more than an hour.  Hardest part is freeing up the charge wire from the loom.

Let us know if you have any other questions about it.

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
better link

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Today, I installed a 150 amp circuit breaker from the alternator charge wire and ran it to the passenger side battery, away from everything. I also tested my old alternator for AC leakage, and my Fluke read somewhere around 20 mV. I decided I was going to take the alternator in to a parts store and have it tested. Passed. Took it to another parts store. Also passed. I decided I was already that far into it that I just went ahead and bought another alternator. Installed the new alternator, measured AC voltage, same result as the old alternator. I took the pickup out for a run and the same thing is happening. There is torque converter cycling, spuratic downshifting to third and sometimes even second. Now I have noticed this past week that it will happen in cooler weather temperatures (60 degrees Fahrenheit and below) and it seems like when the thermostat on the engine opens the problem goes away until its shut off and cooled back down. I have no clue where to go from here. Thanks guys.

• Owner
12 hours ago, Bfranz said:

Only fault codes present are P0602 and P1693 which both go away when I remove the Smarty tune from the pickup. Pickup still acts the same when the Smarty is removed.

Did you test your current alternaotr for AC ripple? The ground wire mod will not fix a bad alternator. 

Alright, I will try it after work. I apologize for my confusion, I’m trying to figure this out. I really appreciate your guys help on this.

Just to be clear you want me to unplug the harness on the back of the alternator?

I can change both of those. Like I said above, it seems to go away when the engine thermostat opens and gets to operating temp. If that helps anything. I’m at a loss

For what it’s worth, my abs and brake light are both on due to the right front wheel speed sensor being bad. Would that cause it?