• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diesel fuel

37 minutes ago, Towrigdually said:

Mine looks blue down in Oklahoma, 

You sure it's not because of 2 stroke.

26 minutes ago, dave110 said:

Could also pass for a Miller Lite. Oh, wait. You already said urine sample.

Guess I should have let the bobbles settle out before I took the picture :lmao:

• Owner

Little info...

Higher the cetane the shorter the carbon chains, the lower the BTU's per gallon and then the weight per gallon is less. Bio diesel is typically lighter per gallon and typically 45 to 50 cetane. Like here I'm already running winterized #2 diesel and it green tint in color. Then since about September I had to back down timing on the Quadzilla. 20° to 21° at 2k RPM. When I get back to summer fuel which is 40 to 43 cetane I can jump back to my high timing of the summer 23° works good at 2k RPMs.

Petroleum Diesel

• #1 Diesel - 137k BTU's 
  • #2 Diesel - 139k BTU's (summer fuel)
  • #3 Diesel - 141k BTU's
  • #4 Diesel - 145k BTU's
  • #5 Diesel - 148k BTU's
  • #6 Diesel - 152k BTU's

Biodiesel

• B2 - 138k BTU's (1% loss)
  • B20 - 134k BTU's (4% loss)
  • B100 - 118k BTUs. (16% loss)

Funny how all bio fuels are always LESS energy per gallon... That fact will never change being that high cetane ALWAYS means lower BTU's there is no way around that fact.

cetane-btu3.jpg.718cdb12cd43873ccaa0be5d

Light green is winterized fuels up here and dark green is the summer fuel. 

As from ASTM Labs...

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the importance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1