• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Block heater extension cable

I did start a topic on this earlier but deleted it as I was soooo confused on what I needed to use the block heater in the UK.

I have a 110v transformer as households here in the UK use a much more deathly 240v, all work sites use 110v so 240v to 110v transformers are rather common

BUT our 110v uses totally different plugs and sockets and heavier cabling also, so I was going to ask what I needed to connect to the block heater plug at the rad support but after switching between several USA sites and several open ebay pages I found  a company here supplies the very item, only small problem it's amazon and I for one think Mr Bozo is rich enough without my ££.

On it's way delivered tuesday.

Never really bothered about the block heater before as my truck was always a hobby, not anymore it now tows my mobile workshop and 5.00am starts and the warmup time is not good for local relations :whistle2:

I must say your electrical plugs/sockets/leads etc are really confusing :think: 

• Like 4

• Staff

I'd be glad to send you some of our receptacles for free John if you like.:thumb1:.  Says on the back which way to wire them. Real simple really.

After scratching your head getting it hooked up you have to promise you'll still drive on the left side of the road Okay? :lol:

Mike

P.S. I have to wonder if we decided to drive on the right side, back in the day just to be rebellious against the Brits. Have to wonder about that :think:

Edited by JAG1

8 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Like your plugs aren't to us and how about that driving on the wrong side of the street. :poke: 

:) We only have one domestic plug and socket, 2 industrial, which is one for 240v and one for 110v. You must have more than that 

As for driving I'll take a guess as to why we're on the left. I think it's to allow knights on horseback to pass with the right sword arm free and on the outside.... No good for me as I'm left handed 

6 hours ago, Tractorman said:

The reason it works for them is because of that  "Well, everybody does it!" theory.

- John

Not everyone does it all the time. Visitor to the country struggle with that small detail 

Jag... Left side it is 

Here anyway 

Anytime I'm in a country that drives on the right I do practice if I'm not driving like in my head. Usually I get it wrong within 10 minutes :think:

• Owner

The element is a 750 watt 120 VAC element. 

750 Watts = 120 Votls x 6.25 Amps. 

Heck its +19*F (-7*F) outside and the truck is outside in he cold I won't even think about a block heater till 0*F (-17*C). Even then I'd only plug in hour before I need to leave. Parked outside the heat is wasted in the into the air. If I was parked in the unheated shop I would plug it in and leave it being the heat is not wasted but heating the shop a few degrees. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The element is a 750 watt 120 VAC element. 

750 Watts = 120 Votls x 6.25 Amps. 

Heck its +19*F (-7*F) outside and the truck is outside in he cold I won't even think about a block heater till 0*F (-17*C). Even then I'd only plug in hour before I need to leave. Parked outside the heat is wasted in the into the air. If I was parked in the unheated shop I would plug it in and leave it being the heat is not wasted but heating the shop a few degrees. 

Thing is here while I'm away from neighbours it's not quite the same as USA away from neighbours so if and when it does get cold here which as we are surrounded by sea is later than most land locked countries as the water brings warmth I'll plug it in to save running the truck early in the mornings so the heater can clear the screen sooner, this way my neighbour is happy as it's parked maybe 20ft from his house as my drive goes straight past his house and of course I park it away from my house

16 minutes ago, wil440 said:

I'll plug it in to save running the truck early in the mornings so the heater can clear the screen sooner, this way my neighbour is happy as it's parked maybe 20ft from his house as my drive goes straight past his house

I commend you for being so considerate to your neighbors.  Using the block heater is a great solution.  You are a good neighbor!

- John

• Owner
24 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I commend you for being so considerate to your neighbors.  Using the block heater is a great solution.  You are a good neighbor!

- John

LOL... My neighbor which is @Wet Vetteson @Jthorand he's a diesel runner too. 7.3L Ford Powerstroke straight piped. Then me with my 2002 Cummins straight pipe. My next neighbor either direction is quite distance away and not even heard. So my neighbor just knows to get ready we are heading for work since @Jthor is my apprentice working under me. Typically I don't idle very long just enough to clear the glass if needed. 

Even its +19*F this morning I would just start and roll out.

20201223_083517.jpg

20201223_083958.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

It is not the cold that's the biggest problem here. Our winters are predominantly wet with temperatures usually not lower than - 10c.

Every morning the inside of the windows are covered in condensation sometimes frozen mostly not. Block heater means it will be dry sooner and less idling means a happy neighbor and truck too 

9 hours ago, wil440 said:

It is not the cold that's the biggest problem here. Our winters are predominantly wet with temperatures usually not lower than - 10c.

Every morning the inside of the windows are covered in condensation sometimes frozen mostly not. Block heater means it will be dry sooner and less idling means a happy neighbor and truck too 

Mine likes to be plugged in around the 20*F mark. It will start at that temp but it is angry. I also have the grids disconnected. I usually plug it in about an hour before leaving.