• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pre lift pump fuel filter question

• Staff

This may be a little off the wall but you don't know til ya ask.

I have a filter head from a log splitter, would I be able to utilize this as a pre lift pump filter if I can locate a filter of suitable micron rating? 

Has anyone tried this? What were your results?

I'm just curious at this point. I would like to revamp my fuel system over the summer and add gauges as well so kinda planning things in my head since I'm sitting home bored. Lol.

Thanks for any input.

• Staff

@LorenS, the one i have is similar to the one in the pick of your link. Mine has larger threaded inlet and outlet ports that are at the moment reduced via brass barb fittings to fit the return hose on a log splitter. Will that matter as far as priming and or drawing fuel?

@IBMobile, how does the line size affect filter part number. Wouldn't it be more dependant on base and thread size of said filter? Just wondering.

I think when I do this I will probably use 3/8" line since I don't plan on going to far with performance mods. 3/8" should be plenty for 300hp or less from what I have read.

Thanks for the comments so far.

image.png.d338cf73b09c43bc6b5900766c6a5ec6.png

This is the style IBMobile identified. Much less expensive than a filter base and spin-on filter.

I ran that style before switching. Wanted more "trash capacity" since I sometimes filled up at questionable stations due to work travels.

Edited by LorenS

Picture above is ample for a prefilter as it really does need NOT to restrict in any way, filter heads and filters will restrict unless the medium is scrunched up steel wire which is what the one in the picture has.

I use a similar Cat filter although it is not fitted at the moment, no real problem in the UK as we have no questionable filling stations here

The assembly I put on has negligible pressure drop, quite possibly less than the in-line especially after picking up any debris. It's massive compared the inline. My fuel pressure gauge didn't show any less pressure upon the switch to new setup. I like that come time to change it I don't have to mess with fuel clamps in the rain on the side of the road, just screw on a new canister. And, it will take a LOT more gunk to get to that point.

12 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I believe it's what came with the fass ddrp.

I think you're correct. It was certainly that style, possibly the exact part number.

• Staff

I like the idea of not having to remove fuel line clamps and having fuel run down my arms and what not. The longer change intervals will be a plus as well.

When you change filters does it prime itself or so you fill the new filter first to aid in priming? On a semi we usually fill the filters before install.

When I installed this I had a nearly full tank so it basically self primed and then I completed the final half turn of the filter. After that I did the "bump the starter" and let it run.

If a guy wanted to get fancy, that mount has a second outlet that I suppose could be used to suck the air out.

• Owner

Nice part of the spin on filter you can rinse and reuse several times just check the bottom for rusting issues are you clean it out. Now as for the filter @IBMobile posted does work but like @LorenS mentions there is very little debris holding. No to mention if mounted sideways is will plug up quickly. Where the spin filter typically hang and the debris settles to the bottom when the truck shut down. In all my year with the AirDog now I've never had to replace the water separator till there was signs of rusting started then I would replace it. Ever one that I've cut open had very little debris. 

• Staff
On 2/8/2021 at 9:06 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Nice part of the spin on filter you can rinse and reuse several times just check the bottom for rusting issues are you clean it out. Now as for the filter @IBMobile posted does work but like @LorenS mentions there is very little debris holding. No to mention if mounted sideways is will plug up quickly. Where the spin filter typically hang and the debris settles to the bottom when the truck shut down. In all my year with the AirDog now I've never had to replace the water separator till there was signs of rusting started then I would replace it. Ever one that I've cut open had very little debris. 

Based on this, how often should the small inline pre pump filter be changed? Once I get the fuel lines updated I will feel better about the amount of filtration and fuel volume for the vp44 but for now I'm still using the stock setup with a fass ddrp.

• Owner
24 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

Based on this, how often should the small inline pre pump filter be changed?

Could be as short as 15k miles if your getting farm fuel from tank or if you going to the fuel station maybe 60k miles. All depends on your source of fuel and how clean said fuel is before you pump in your tank. 

DSCF4630.jpg

AirDog 150 pre-filter and water separator. Now the filter never really ever fills up or plugs on these. When you change the main filter I will shake this on up a bit and the dump it out. Just screw it back on. I only check for rust damage and keep reusing the pre-filter. 

Now as for that little in-line filter you have to throw it out after a cycle you can't wash then out very difficult...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

I'm coming up on the 15k mark on the under hood filter so I'll just change them both at that point. I have here lately been using some farm fuel so there may be some debris in it from that. 

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Could be as short as 15k miles if your getting farm fuel from tank or if you going to the fuel station maybe 60k miles. All depends on your source of fuel and how clean said fuel is before you pump in your tank. 

DSCF4630.jpg

AirDog 150 pre-filter and water separator. Now the filter never really ever fills up or plugs on these. When you change the main filter I will shake this on up a bit and the dump it out. Just screw it back on. I only check for rust damage and keep reusing the pre-filter. 

Now as for that little in-line filter you have to throw it out after a cycle you can't wash then out very difficult...

It that air dog filter a metal screen type? It looks like it in the pic.