• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Clocking Angles

On 3/7/2021 at 12:19 AM, Threadzy said:

low psi 5

Low PSI, or Light Load (cruise)?

On 3/7/2021 at 4:34 AM, NIsaacs said:

it is huge but fit no problem. I really like it.

That's what she said!

This morning I made the drive to work with the new setup.  I wasn't to 120* when I the interstate onramp, but was shortly thereafter.  When I got to where I work it's river bottom ground so very flat.  I was on Level 2, did a few big throttle acceleration runs from a couple stop signs, and just by increasing the Low PSI Timing Reduction from 3.5 to 5 degrees made a huge difference!  Whether at lunch or after work I'll set her to Level 3 and see what happens.

Notes:

1. EGTs dropped about 100F.  I normally would see upper 700's and even 8XX degrees just cruising on the interstate slow rollers, and other than when I gave her the business, I don't think it ever cracked 700F.  Nice to hear the turbo for once, and it is SO QUIET in the cab now!  Of course it was quieter before my old tailpipe fell off, too, but not THIS quiet!  It's a straight-through muffler, perforated.
  2. I don't believe I have ever hit 25 PSI (MAP/Quadzilla, not standalone gauge yet) unless pulling a trailer up a hill.  Did it at least once this morning during acceleration run.
  3. I saw 0 PSI boost while at low load a few times, the old 9cm^2 HY35 seemed to always be 1-2 pounds unless sitting still.  This HE351W is 12cm^2.
  4. I wish I had before and after of drive pressures.

Next order of business is the 8 x .0085 injectors!  And/or the wastegate actuator install - wired shut right now.

Edited by LorenS
various
  • Like 1

I dropped my 1500 base timing to 15, maxed the Low PSI Timing Reduction, and she runs even better!

Returning from lunch I stopped on a flat road and did a "roll into the throttle" acceleration run (as opposed to just stomping pedal to floor).  I saw not even a whisp of smoke, so when I got back to work I sat in the truck a minute and upped the CANbus fueling some - instead of staying a steady 15% after 7 PSI I kept adding 2% per PSI up to 23%.  I'll drive home with that and see what I think.

The thing is, with a 0.69 overdrive the engine is only around 1200 RPM at 45 MPH which is a normal speed around here.  3rd gear 55 MPH is ~2,000 RPM.

11 minutes ago, LorenS said:

The thing is, with a 0.69 overdrive the engine is only around 1200 RPM at 45 MPH which is a normal speed around here.  3rd gear 55 MPH is ~2,000 RPM.

Anything below 55mph especially in town driving. I keep OD off. EGT’s and engine load is much lower. 45mph EGT’s  float around 400-500 degrees. Plus the exhaust break is more efficient. The truck will also buck in overdrive at those slower speeds. 

• Owner

That is due to the cruise timing is allowed after you engine load dropped below your set engine load percentage. Then your RPM drops below a runnable range and it starts to buck. I would like to call out @Quadzilla Power and see if there is a way of make lower RPM range setting so you can force the cruise timing to shut down below that set RPM. Yeah I got the same problem...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is due to the cruise timing is allowed after you engine load dropped below your set engine load percentage. Then your RPM drops below a runnable range and it starts to buck. I would like to call out @Quadzilla Power and see if there is a way of make lower RPM range setting so you can force the cruise timing to shut down below that set RPM. Yeah I got the same problem...

That would be another nice feature.  

• Thanks 1

• Owner
29 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Would increasing the Max Load Timing Offset help with that?

No. Because that is above the cruise %. So if cruise timing is 0 to 20% then 21% and up to 100% would now run on load based retarding down 0 to 3° this ramps back up you max timing for that RPM.

@Mopar1973Man @Me78569 I was rereading the Adrenaline tuning guide and was reminded of the "Secret" programming for setting all Timing parameters to 0 and running "Stock Plus" timing.  I want to give this a try just to say I did and satisfy my curiosity.  What is a good starting point for this?  Should it look like the below?  Is it far too conservative?

1500  2*

2000  4*

2500 5*

3000 6*

Max 6*

Does CANbus fueling still work with this setup?

Stock head bolts, factory reman injectors, new turbo is HE351W.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

@Mopar1973Man, if i remember correctly form the quad v2 r&d thread, they couldnt go below 1500 because of the stock ECU. It would get very unhappy if memory serves. @Me78569 do you recall why 1500 was the lowest for timing?

Never mind, I just reread what you wrote, 8a and not enough coffee yet.

around like 1200 rpm, is that the factory ecm taking over? because I see a big jump in timing when that rpm and below is crossed..

• Owner
15 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

@Mopar1973Man, if i remember correctly form the quad v2 r&d thread, they couldnt go below 1500 because of the stock ECU. It would get very unhappy if memory serves.

Now with what I know I can just barely get down as low as 1,200 RPM but still bucking. Its the cruise timing kicking back in and raising my timing another +4° on top of the 13° on the 1,500 RPM band giving about 16° rolling along 30 MPH in 4th gear. This is Council, ID speed limit through town I've either got to drop another gear go through twon at nearly 2,400 RPM up shift up and drop 1,300 RPM and buck the entire way through. I think the cutoff of the Quad is 1,100 RPM then if flip back to ECM control. I would love to see a cruise timing cancel point of lower RPM's s to stop the bucking problem. @Quadzilla Power

Edited by Mopar1973Man

at super low RPMS I noticed "anti-stall" functions come into play and I "BELIEVE" that the ecm starts sending high priority messages to the vp, which in turn directly fight with the quad. 

Also sub 1200 sub rpm timing is best left to the ecm to control, so little driving time is spent that low in RPMS and the conditions are ripe for head gasket isssues if someone adds too much timing and creates a high load situtation.

the ecm does a terrible job in the 1200-1500 rpm area for advancing timing for good MPG, load is too high at 55-65 mph for the stock timing to be high enough.     flip to lvl0 and watch what timing does.  

under 1200 rpm there is no light timing advance as well.

mor ethoughts as well,  it is not timing causing the bucking.  It is a fight between the ecm and the quad with the fueling messages.  The ecm starts sending high prorirt fueling messages at super low rpms when it thinks that the engine is at risk of stalling.  

the ecm sends a bump in fueling that gets mixed in with the quad's reduced fueling causing the bucking.

Edited by Me78569
  • Thanks 1